Timing Help: Someone please confirm that I did this right.

MyEarsHurt

May 21, 2004
Okay, I laid out my chains and marked the ends with paint. Then I positioned the crankshaft at 315 degrees (pretty close I think). Then I lined up the marks on the chains with the dimples on the cam gears. Then I lined up the other end of the chains (with the other marks) on the very bottom of the crankshaft.

In the pics, you can see the dimples and I made red arrows pointing to where the marks on the chains are.

In the picture with the crankshaft, I put a red arrow showing where the little keyway thing is.

Does everything look right? This is the first time I have ever set the timing on an engine before. If anything looks wrong, please let me know, cause I am putting the timing cover back on if everyone thinks it looks right.

484771_142_full.jpg

484771_143_full.jpg

484771_144_full.jpg

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

i can't tell from the pics but did you mark the different colored link? or did you just mark it off? either way it looks like it was set up properly. just go get a breaker bar or a wrench & an 18mm socket i believe & turn the crank by hand. make sure the tranny is in neautral then get under it & turn it with the wrench. if it's not timed properly you will hear a clink, or it will not turn over easily by hand. if it doesn't turn over easily, go back & re-set the timing.

*note* DO NOT try to force the engine over by hand it it catches, you can bend a valve that way if you are having contact

stangman said:
i can't tell from the pics but did you mark the different colored link? or did you just mark it off? either way it looks like it was set up properly. just go get a breaker bar or a wrench & an 18mm socket i believe & turn the crank by hand. make sure the tranny is in neautral then get under it & turn it with the wrench. if it's not timed properly you will hear a clink, or it will not turn over easily by hand. if it doesn't turn over easily, go back & re-set the timing.

*note* DO NOT try to force the engine over by hand it it catches, you can bend a valve that way if you are having contact
*and make sure the plugs are out.

to really be certain everything is ok you need to turn the crank to rotate the timing chains. if everything is good all of the marks willl line up again. everything may look good now but if you turn it and the marks never line up again you may be one tooth off on the cam sprocket but wont realize it until the crank and cams are rotated.

01SN8K said:
to really be certain everything is ok you need to turn the crank to rotate the timing chains. if everything is good all of the marks willl line up again. everything may look good now but if you turn it and the marks never line up again you may be one tooth off on the cam sprocket but wont realize it until the crank and cams are rotated.

Ok thanks, I will turn it over a few times to make sure its still lined up

Everything is lined up perfect, no vavle piston contact so thats the good news. My neighbor who is a mechanic told me to count the number of chain links on the driver side dimple to the bottom of the crankshaft, and then the same thing on the passenger side. He said if the numbers match then its good to go.