Tire Help For Newb??

billbosc

Feb 10, 2015
Hey folks. Got a 88 hatchback 5.0 on sunday. want to put better tires on it. i am ordering the eibach pro plus kit 1.2 and 1.0 lowered. Ordered cobra replica rims 17x8/9 staggered. need help knowing what size tires i can put on without having to roll or end up rubbing. need rubber. it has a vortech v1 supercharger. any help would be great. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

If you want the tires to fit the wheel right, you are going to have to roll the rear fenders. About the lowest tire size that isn't going to rub at some point is a 245. Which is also too narrow for a 9 inch wheel. Consider I run a 275 on an 8.5, which is slightly too wide, but there is no other drag radial size in an 18 that works for me.

Remember, you rub the outside of the tire just once on the fender lip not rolled and that tire's career may be over. Rolling the fenders is free insurance.

My car is an 86. While I agree that rolling the fender is a great idea I'm not sure it's necessary. I have the eibach springs/struts/and shocks with 17x8/17x9 cobra R's with 245/45/17-275/40/17 tires. Sumitomas on front Nitto drag radials in back. I occasionally get a slight rub in back if someone rides in the rear seats. Otherwise have never had an issue and I haven't rolled the lips. The rub happens on the inside of the tire. Not on the outter lip side. Just an FYI.

Ok. this is awesome info guys. I really apreciate it. Nobody is ever gonna be in the back of my car. If u run those tires with no rub and not rolling I may just go that route and see what happens. If I have to roll them I will. We shall see. So the nitto on back an sumitomo on front. what series are they

I'm of no help w tire size for the fox but I also have the nitto 555's on my 95 and they're pretty good for a street tire. I had sumitomos on my fox and I didn't like em too much. They were too hard. I have these all the way around on a 17x9. Sorry not any help on sizing but I think I'd buy these tires again. http://www.americanmuscle.com/nitto-nt555-255-50-17.html