Suspension Tires rubbing. Looking for spring recommendation

93blkcoupe

Aug 13, 2020
NC
Hey everyone,

I picked up a 93 5 liter coupe a few weeks ago and I noticed some tire rub. The paint is worn away near the center of all 4 fender lips and I personally witnessed the front pass side rubbing a few times when I take semi hard left turns.

One of the previous owners did a 5 lug conversion with cobra brakes, Eibach sportline springs, bilstein B6 series struts and shocks and staggered 18X9 and 18X10 wheels. He rolled the fender lips but I guess that was still not enough to avoid the rub.

I decided I'm going to increase the ride height so I'm going to replace the sportlines. I'm just not sure if I want to go with progressive springs or linear and which brand. I'm thinking progressive since I don't want a harsh ride but also considering linear because I want to avoid the tire rub at all costs and my theory is that the linears will deflect less. So, if I go progressive, I'm thinking Ford Motorsports B series or Eibach ProKit. If I go liner, I'm thinking Ford Motorsports C series or Steeda Sport. What do yo think? Top priority is getting rid of the tire rub. A softer ride would be a plus.

Some additional info: the front wheels are 18x9 cobra R replicas( +24mm offset ) wrapped with 245/40 Nitto NT555s. The backs are 18x10( +22mm offset ) with 285/35 NT555s. The motor and all accessories are completely stock so no added weight there. I also checked if the previous owner installed the upper and lower spring isolators - he did on all 4.

• Sponsors (?)

Yea thats a huge tire/wheel for sportlines.....I'm running ponies 245/50/16 w sportlines and have all kinda room. Pro kit springs should raise it about an inch and solve most your issues.

I'm essentially running the same tire sizes on mine with no rub(265/35/18 & 285/35/18). I did have to hit the top of the front wheel wells a little, but not much. I used the SVE springs from LMR and the factory style KYB struts. It rides rough, but I just assumed it's because I had grown used to what S197s and S550s rode like.

Yea thats a huge tire/wheel for sportlines.....I'm running ponies 245/50/16 w sportlines and have all kinda room. Pro kit springs should raise it about an inch and solve most your issues.
Haha, yeah they are. My tire OD should very close to factory so I’m guesss it’s the wheel width or offset that’s killing me. I was also thinking pro kit as the car has nice beefy Eibach front and rear sway bars, not that mixing brands should matter. Thanks

[
I'm essentially running the same tire sizes on mine with no rub(265/35/18 & 285/35/18). I did have to hit the top of the front wheel wells a little, but not much. I used the SVE springs from LMR and the factory style KYB struts. It rides rough, but I just assumed it's because I had grown used to what S197s and S550s rode like.
Thanks! I didn’t look at the SVE springs yet. I’ll take a look.

Springs aren't the direct cause of rubbing. Tire size and offset are. Yes the car may sit low (sportlines are arguably the worst spring you can buy), but while driving even with better springs they will still rub in certain situations. So I wouldn't expect a full resolution by changing springs.
Also springs are fairly cheap, I'd run a set of h&r's from maximum motorsports.

Reactions: 1 user
Springs aren't the direct cause of rubbing. Tire size and offset are. Yes the car may sit low (sportlines are arguably the worst spring you can buy), but while driving even with better springs they will still rub in certain situations. So I wouldn't expect a full resolution by changing springs.
Also springs are fairly cheap, I'd run a set of h&r's from maximum motorsports.
Yeah, I’m starting with the springs as they’re cheap to change out like you said. Plus I’d like to bring the ride height up regardless.
Going forward I’m thinking about going with staggered 17x8 and 17x9 wheels. I’d like to keep at least a 275 tire width in the back so I’m thinking 275/40s out back and 235/45s up front. What do you think? With the rolled fenders I may be OK with those sizes. Of course , I’d have to get the offsets right as you said.
I’m guessing you’re talking about the H&R sports correct? Looks like the super sports actually have less of a drop but the spring rate seems way too harsh for me.

Yeah, I’m starting with the springs as they’re cheap to change out like you said. Plus I’d like to bring the ride height up regardless.
Going forward I’m thinking about going with staggered 17x8 and 17x9 wheels. I’d like to keep at least a 275 tire width in the back so I’m thinking 275/40s out back and 235/45s up front. What do you think? With the rolled fenders I may be OK with those sizes. Of course , I’d have to get the offsets right as you said.
I’m guessing you’re talking about the H&R sports correct? Looks like the super sports actually have less of a drop but the spring rate seems way too harsh for me.
Scratch that. Super sports will give you a bigger drop. I will looking at this site and it looks like they got their numbers mixed up:

I don't know if you plan on doing any performance driving with your car, but there are a few things to consider when choosing springs, sway bars and tires...

1. These cars handle better when they sit higher than most people would think looks cool. Autocross cars will need to be higher than track cars, but generally going too low will make these car handle worse (especially at the limit of traction).

2. A larger front sway bar ADDS understeer to a car that ALREADY has understeer from the factory. If that understeer isn't compensated for with a larger rear sway bar (or other mods), your car will handle worse (it will plow).

3. A staggered setup will also ADD understeer. Combined with stiffer springs that have less travel and a larger front sway bar, your car will be a handful at the limit.

I use Ford Racing C Springs on my 1992 GT autocross car, with poly spring isolators and Steeda Spring Spacers up front.

This video has some helpful information about suspension mods (among other things)...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHK5vd7sRx0&t

There are also several videos on my channel that showcase all the suspension mods I've made to my Fox Body autocross car, as well as how to adjust your suspension to optimize handling.

If you have any questions, please ask. I'm happy to help.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
I'm having some rubbing on my tires on my 65 Fastback so I think my springs are gone. Any suggestions for this year mustang as far as upgrading the suspension. Thanks.

My experience is with Fox Body and newer Mustangs. Unfortunately, I've never had an opportunity to work on a 65. I'm sure there are people with much more experience with early Mustangs in the "Classic Mustangs" section of this forum. It's worth posting your question there.

I'm having some rubbing on my tires on my 65 Fastback so I think my springs are gone. Any suggestions for this year mustang as far as upgrading the suspension. Thanks.
What wheel and tire combo Do you have, and where do they rub? If the rear wheel and tire combo is right, they should move through the full range of motion without rubbing. If they are stock, and the edges are rubbing, check for sideways movement from bushing and shackle problems. If they rub on the top of wheel tub, then I would suspect a suspension bump stop and the springs.
The Skyjacker look was to get wide wheel and tires with poor offsets to not rub too much in the 70’s.

Running this combo . 225 60R15 and it’s front tires only rubbing at the top. . Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 189
I don't know if you plan on doing any performance driving with your car, but there are a few things to consider when choosing springs, sway bars and tires...

1. These cars handle better when they sit higher than most people would think looks cool. Autocross cars will need to be higher than track cars, but generally going too low will make these car handle worse (especially at the limit of traction).

2. A larger front sway bar ADDS understeer to a car that ALREADY has understeer from the factory. If that understeer isn't compensated for with a larger rear sway bar (or other mods), your car will handle worse (it will plow).

3. A staggered setup will also ADD understeer. Combined with stiffer springs that have less travel and a larger front sway bar, your car will be a handful at the limit.

I use Ford Racing C Springs on my 1992 GT autocross car, with poly spring isolators and Steeda Spring Spacers up front.

This video has some helpful information about suspension mods (among other things)...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHK5vd7sRx0&t

There are also several videos on my channel that showcase all the suspension mods I've made to my Fox Body autocross car, as well as how to adjust your suspension to optimize handling.

If you have any questions, please ask. I'm happy to help.

Awesome info! I appreciate everyone's advise.

The goal is just to make it a fun weekend street car. I'm defiantly looking for function over form. Number one priority is to eliminate the rub. Regarding ride quality, I'm looking for slightly firmer than stock with minimal drop in ride height.

The car already has an Eibach 36mm front sway bar and 24mm rear, as well as a bumpsteer kit, and of course the sportlines and Bilstein B6s I mentioned earlier.

I think I'll look at progressive springs. Linears seem like they'll be a bit rough for the street. As far as wheels and tires - non idea yet, but that's a few months down the road. I'm leaning towards 17s as the slightly taller sidewall should soften things up. I can't go any smaller than that because of the 13" cobra brakes.

I like the look of a wide tire in the back but the 245/40-18s just don't look right in the front. Looks like they're sticking out of the fender too far. I'm not a fan of skinnies up front either so looking for that balance.

Thanks again.