TKO swap in progress... Steering Column?

90' LX 5.0

Mar 31, 2005
SO i removed the bolts and the wires and the steering column is dropped... but now what? does it just hang there while i finish the pedal assembly swap? It doesnt seem right...

• Sponsors (?)

doing the same swap....removed column and got new pedals and stuff in. I now have a big issue !

The steering shaft now will not reach the rag joint going to the rack. I have tried everything, but it seems the steering column/steering shaft is closer to the firewall now.

any idea ?

90' LX 5.0 said:
SO i removed the bolts and the wires and the steering column is dropped... but now what? does it just hang there while i finish the pedal assembly swap? It doesnt seem right...

removed the bolt on the streering linkage in the engine bay and take the whole column out.

The steering shaft fits inside of the column, but its not bolted together directly. If you unbolt the column inside the car and pull on the wheel it will come free of the shaft. You don't have to unbolt the rag joint to remove it.

What bolt under the hood? There are 4 bolts that hold the column up, 2 closer to the firewall, and 2 closer to the edge of the dash. After those are out the column should have alot of freeplay. If it doesn't move around like a joystick would you need to make sure its completely unbolted. After that give it a couple yanks and the column will come out leaving the steering shaft on the rack with a small shaft coming through the firewall.

bolt to sepeate steering shaft

The steering shaft has a bolt and nut...just to be clear.

once you have the 4 bolts under the dash out and the steering shaft unbolted...pull and pull. I would also suggest have someone with a pry bar and hammer hit the steering shaft towrds the firewall to help loosen it up too.

good luck

remember when you re-install it the steering shaft can slide up into the column. I had this issue and freaked that something was wrong. I then pried it out and all is good:nice:

I just tied some string to mine after I dropped it an tied it so the column was as far over to the passenger side as possible. worked fine and I got the Assy in pretty easy.

not for nothing, but I would recommend against taking the column out...why you ask...mainly because you don't have to!

It's correct, just disconnect all of the wires to the column, unbolt the bracket, and just lay it on the floor of your car (oh-yeah, take out the drivers seat!).

it's easy, you just have to fiddle with the pedals to get them back in.