Engine Tuning options? No one here in AZ seems to do it

ggradtech

Jun 17, 2016
I have a 93 Mustang with a 351 swap. Car runs really well, but I’d like to get it more ”dialed in” . No on seems to want to tune these cars now. AEM pretty much refused, and I’m not getting a good feeling with www.bieberfever.com. Not sure what else I can do. The only small drivability issue
I have is when the car is cold./ first driven. I will get a backfire, but only when in 4th gear until it’s warmed up. The car drives great and idle/drivability is not an issue. I just don’t know how rich (or lean) my fuel ratio is. I guess I could go the Megasquirt/ Holley FI, etc standalone route, but I’d rather not.

• Sponsors (?)

That always depends on the budget, having a chip burned is going to cost you roughly the same as putting in a entry level standalone.
EFIsource currently has the foxbody ms3pnp unit on sale for 795 that is a amazing price for an ms3x pnp unit that is capable enough of winning prostock races [because they do]

now if I were you I would contact dirtydirtyracing for the stock stuff if you intend to stay with the stock ecu or even @Decipha may be able to help

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, but $795 gets you just the hardware. Then there is the extra cost of the laptop (MS pro?)software and if you (like myself), need help from someone to help tune, the cost goes up.

I do not have ms anything.
I am only moderately computer savvy.
That said, I've read enough threads here to know that dyno tuning and chips are so last decade, maybe even older. And every time you change a tire you have to have it re tuned with a new chip and there are several threads where the chip is causing problems, add to it the chances of the dyno operator actually getting the job done the first time is slim.
With the ms pnpsxnaacp what da hell ever it is that a91what plays with in his spare time ain't no joke. An entrance fee for the setup thing that replaces the eecv computer and some time to learn the key strokes to make the engine happy and you are on your way to happy motoring in the twenty first century, you can dial in whatever changes you make yourself and thumb you nose at the 'dyno dinosaurs' keeping your money in your pocket for future mods that you can make work with a few key strokes.
And I will add that it can run anything from a 1000+hp engine to a single cylinder lawnmower.
Sooo, 795 in pocket change don't sound so bad now does it?

You make some good points. For me, I’m not looking to do any “future” mods. I don’t need the room to grow, I’m fine with a NA 351 swap with some mild upgrades. The MSPNP2 is $839. Add another 400-500 for help with tuning and possibly the software, you are over $1300. The OEM computer is a relic, for sure. It does a fine job though, and a 1-time tune/dyno session is less than the MSPNP2 by itself.

You could look around, the micropnp kit is only 450. Guys selling setups on FB all the time when they upgrade.
Tuning does not cost that much, for an idea of what it costs look at my services page.

Before you make any further decisions make sure you have the stock ECU looked at, their are companies know that can do comprehensive fixes too them.

Reactions: 1 user
Best advise ever. If you are even thinking of using the stock computer it is a whole lot better to get it looked at and certain things on the board replaced. The caps have a time limit expiration and all of our cars are past that time frame. If you know the computer is good and solid it's a huge weight lifted off your shoulders. A tuned chip is only as good as the computer it plugs into.

Before I went with MSPNP2 and a91what help I was going to run a QuarterHorse tuned by Willie Lynch at Dirtydirtyracing.com. He is a guru of that system and does do custom tunes ( he can send tunes through email ) This guy has been doing it since the beginning of QH.

With that said, megasquirt can do way more than the QH could ever handle. It can be moved from vehicle to vehicle. It will run anything except a Triton v10...it'll run a viper v10 though. Steve ( a91what ) is a very reasonable tuner and knows his &#$t. With megasquirt you also get to ditch the MAF which saves a couple hundred bucks...or you can run it with the MAF. You have the ability to run a fully customizable digital dash that allows tuning and data logging in real time.

It's you car. If I had to run the factory computer I'd use Moates Quarter Horse and Willie Lynch. I personally think the megasquirt is tons better. I guess that's why I have one.

What combination of parts is on the car?

If capacitors are such an issue, someone should just put together a cap kit for the factory computer like they do for other older devices with circuit boards. Capacitors are dirt cheap and relatively easy to change if you can solder.