UCA Upper Control Arms

rednotch88

Sep 6, 2008
CHICAGO
I have a set of MM LCA's. I have heard a-lot about keeping a rather stock upper control arm,but I would hate to do that.Spread some light on the matter.Maybe some adj uppers?Tubular?opinion on brand...? I have 28x10.5 rear slicks and will be removing the quads.Doing that I know there will be some wheel hop,and I can't have that.Car has battle boxes(upper/lowers)fully welded.I have upper and lower torque boxes reinforced and welded.Also whole back half of car is seam welded.
I know there will be no problem with running an aggressive set of UCA's.J ust don't want the h o p===p==pp===p=p.

KJ

• Sponsors (?)

what do you have as far as shocks/struts and springs? as long as those are decent, you shouldn't have any hop. I have upr uppers and lowers with urethane on both ends of both, tokico hp (blues) shocks and struts and cheap maxspeed springs and I have no wheel hop

I'm keeping it a little "rugged" I'm going with the stock spring location(pro drags)and some Lakewood 50/50's.I kinda want to keep the violent launch,but going to try to tame it with the TRZ anti roll bar.Should be fun.

you have the urethane ends that keeps it from binding so it can flex that's probably why you don't have hop.I would like to keep the spherical bearing type control arms,and not the urethane bushing type.

KJ

this is why everyone says not to use solid bushings...

Quoted from my progress thread
So i brought the car to the Chassis shop last saturday and here's what im having done

-Through the floor subframes
-Adjust Pinion angle
-Fix Torque box damage
-Driveshaft Safetey Loop
-Custom 8-point roll bar tied directly into the upper torque boxes

So last night i get a phone call and an e-mail... here are the pics, the upper passenger side box is ripped about 2 inches from the body, he said its close to the worst tq box tear on the upper that he's seen in a while.

enjoy

the white blur is actually a Quarter, he put that in so i can guage how bad the tear is.

Pics are kinda ****ty quality, but he's gonna try and send me some more tonight or tommorow i think. He hasnt started the bar yet, but the frame connecters are mocked in and ready to be welded and it should be all done by sunday

It has to do with the pitch of the rear end when you whack the throttle. The idea of using stock uppers is to keep rubber bushings with some "give" in the top so that the rear end can have some movement and absorb the shock of the blow.

It's the same idea with a 15" wheel and 17" wheel. The shorter profile tire doesn't absorb the launch as well so you get spin easier.

I am going to run MM adjustable LCA's, but run the steeda UCA's with Ford OEM bushings in the axle housing.

Really....?can I get away with some tubular UCA's and keep the urethane bushing,and replace the factory rubber bushings on the diff with the Spherical Housing Bearings from Wolf or TRZ ect....?

KJ

My boxes are bullet proof. they are totally seam welded,battle boxed uppers/lowers,and I have a custom lower reinforcement.They are not going to rip like that.

I will send pictures soon.

KJ

I didnt see this in the original post, if you dont mind the harsh ride then solid bushings will work ok. I have edelbrock UCA's with the factory rubber bushings with MM weight jacker lowers and have no wheelhop issues. My pinion angle is set to 3 degrees, if your stock bushings are in good shape there isnt really a reason to get rid of them, as long as they arent dry rotted or cracking you will be ok.

I didnt see this in the original post, if you dont mind the harsh ride then solid bushings will work ok. I have edelbrock UCA's with the factory rubber bushings with MM weight jacker lowers and have no wheelhop issues. My pinion angle is set to 3 degrees, if your stock bushings are in good shape there isnt really a reason to get rid of them, as long as they arent dry rotted or cracking you will be ok.

Those Edelbrock UCAs are they adjustable?will I have a noticeably harsh ride?How do I go about adj them things?

KJ

Put the uppers on and don't worry about it. I have put uppers on all my Mustangs except my 96 Cobra. And that is only because that is the lowest mileage car I've ever had. They were still in good shape unlike all my fox bodies.

The car is a weekend warrior and will see a-lot of the track as well as a grocery getter,but may be only car in the parking lot that everyone will hate to hear start up.

anyways its just for a straight shot no cornering what so ever it has a Detroit locker so its hard to just turn corners in the neighborhood.
I just don't want the wheel hop I have 28x10.5-15 tires I'm guessing they won't even let loose so won't have to worry about hopping.correct?

send me opinions on upper control arms.pros/cons what I should buy... I will give you guys an opportunity and a way of having a hand in this build while spending another mans money hah

KJ