vortech t-rex verses holley 255 forced induction ??

ppartain

Jan 7, 2009
got another vortech install question. i have a holley blue 255 fuel pump that was in my car when i bought it and i was going to add the t-rex boost pump from vortech and use 42lb injectors but i noticed holley had a pump out now that was 255 forced induction. if i could get enough flow from it instead of all the extra work involved in the t-rex i would be happy. im planning on 8-10psi max boost.
:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

this is the info on the pump

•255 LPH Feeds up to 750 HP at 60 psi :hail2:
•Proven Gerotor Design
•Compact Enough to Fit in Existing Hanger Assemblies without Modification
•Complete Kit with All Drop Parts, Accessories and Installation Instructions
•Inlet Filter Meets or Exceeds Original Equipment Specifications and Provides Improved Filtration/Durability

Electric In–tank Pumps – EFI
255 LPH Forced Induction Mustang PART #: 12-915

the holley? is it an easy factory type install? did you have to upgrade any lines or rails? what does 440 rwhp equal at the motor? i have about 420 at the motor so im guessing another 100-125 at 8psi. is yours supercharged? injector size? im thinking instead of running wires to the fuse box, drilling holes through the trunk to mount the t-rex the holley would be an easier install. now is there such thing as over pressurizing the lines as in too much fuel pump?
thanks

Its simply a replacement intank pump. No upgrades or mods needed anywhere. My SSC is supercharged and makes about 11psi. 42lb injectors and no FMU.

It makes 441 at the wheels. I'm guessing using 15-18% parasitic powertrain loss thats roughly 490-500ish at the crank?

give me some more tips ... you putting 11psi to a stock block? how high rpm for shift? what about tuning? computer, single burn chip? problems to watch for tuning? are you running a boost/timing control box or computer handeling it?
thanks

The holley pump is probably just a walbro High pressure gss340.
Which can handle around 500rwhp.

Yep, same one. I bought the Holley unit but once unpackaged its just a Walbro gss340 high pressure pump. I originally had the standard 255 lph pump installed back when the SSC was naturally aspirated . But, It couldn't handle the added fuel needs approaching 400rwhp. Actually swapped them out while at the shop being dynotuned.
"huge difference"

Yes I am running an MSD 6BTM boost retard box. My car has been professionally tuned on a dyno using an SCT chip. Max rpm was 5800.
Since its tuned with a chip, the boost retard function of the 6BTM is not being used because timing is being adjusted in the computer. (I keep it set at 0)
It's still amplifying the ignition like a "non retard" 6AL unit.

However I do occasionally turn up the knob and manually retard timing when its real hot outside or I might be pushing it hard on a road course. Just a little extra insurance.

shifted or rev limiter chip at 5800?

Shifted. There's a 6K pill in the MSD but I never touch it.

It's got a safe tune and my friend who tunes my cars says I can't hurt it but I'm over protective of my SSC and hardly never push it too hard in the higher rpms.

But,,, It will fly:nice:

Good Luck