What car did you get rid of and regret?

One of the biggest regrets I have is:
1979 Trans AM Black and Gold

Side1.jpg

Front1.jpg

I miss that car a lot. It wasn't quite as fast as the Stangs I own, but talk about attention getting.....

:eek:

Even though I'm not hardcore into F-Bodies anymore like I used to be ... that car, sir, is raw, hot spooge-waiting-to-happen on wheels. :drool:

Forgive me, I grew up on watching Smokey & The Bandit, Knight Rider, and The Dukes of Hazzard as a kid in the Midwest...

Holy......... :eek: :hail2:

Being only 22, I must be missing something.:shrug: That or the fact that my family tree has branches, must be affecting my taste in cars.:p

It wasnt far behind stock 5.0's :hail2: :hail2: :hail2: :hail2: :hail2: :hail2: :hail2: :hail2: :hail2:

Should it be behind at all with an extra 1.6 liters?:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Can't say I have any regrets. I miss my 85GT mainly because of the t-tops. Don't miss the leaking though. lol It was my first 5.0 so I can't help but feel nostalgic about it. I was 19 when I got it ('88) and have some great memories with that car. It had nothing over my current cars, other than rarity I guess, but that doesn't mean much to me.

Being only 22, I must be missing something.:shrug: That or the fact that my family tree has branches, must be affecting my taste in cars.:p

Should it be behind at all with an extra 1.6 liters?:shrug:

Whoa whoa whoa....

...are you suggesting that just because we drool profusely over a Trans Am that we are inbred rednecks? I can assure you, Darkwriter77 is NO INBRED REDNECK. :D

.....and neither am I. My brother on the other hand..... He drives a Chevy... :rolleyes:

I really really miss the '01 Bullitt edition Mustang that I owned for just over a month. Totaled it with only 1,500 miles on the odometer....had not even made a payment on it yet. I get real pissed at myself everytime I think of it.:( :( :( :(

filling the whole where my wiper motor used to be. Hope I dont get the boot for the true street cruise...:shrug:
Ok I didnt notice the question "CAR" sorry bout that well thats what I get for not reading first

projectkatrina011.jpg

projectkatrina021.jpg

projectkatrina019.jpg

Whoa whoa whoa....

...are you suggesting that just because we drool profusely over a Trans Am that we are inbred rednecks? I can assure you, Darkwriter77 is NO INBRED REDNECK. :D

.....and neither am I. My brother on the other hand..... He drives a Chevy... :rolleyes:

A '72 Chevy surfer van with sidepipes, at that. ;)

And indeed, I am no inbred redneck. I'm a pedigree redneck, the product of the finest lineages of redneckinese folk from all parts of the world! :D

Just saying, there must be some age difference between us, because I never got the whole attraction to '70's Trans Ams. When I was growing up and getting into cars at around age 10(~1994), the only '70's Trans Ams were in trailer parks(even '80's Trans Ams by then), and they were by no means 'desirable.'

Considering the era in which it was built, yes. lol

I undertand this, and it is the main reason(besides looks) that I don't understand the attraction.:shrug:

It wasnt far behind stock 5.0's :hail2: :hail2: :hail2: :hail2: :hail2: :hail2: :hail2: :hail2: :hail2:

Especially since I have one of the few clean 5.0's in the area. Most are beat badly, but then T/A's were the fast cars (that everyone hammered) from the previous decade so they aren't really around here, in any condition, anymore....

btw, It came factory with 2.56 T-Lock... I had to do some "DKM Matcho T/A" type treatment to it.

Free-er mufflerless exhaust, more aggressive tune, shift kit, 3.42 gears. That woke the car up a bit. nice: Then I sold it... :notnice:

Just saying, there must be some age difference between us, because I never got the whole attraction to '70's Trans Ams. When I was growing up and getting into cars at around age 10(~1994), the only '70's Trans Ams were in trailer parks(even '80's Trans Ams by then), and they were by no means 'desirable.'

I undertand this, and it is the main reason(besides looks) that I don't understand the attraction.:shrug:

In terms of performance and being behind the 5.0 Mustang but being a 400 ( or in my cars case, the 403ci). In a short period of time the factories didn't know how to cope very well with new CAFE standards, low octane unleaded fuel, and extreme emissions controls (Basically a HUGE terribly RESTRICTIVE Catalytic converter and exhaust system, among other things). Ever been really constipated? You begin to understand why my car was the way it was. Fast forward 10 years.. 1989 was a great year for Mustang 5.0 performance right? Thats because they had 10 years of development, engineering advancements and technology.

Stuff the exhaust that my '79 had with the huge choked CAT under your average 5.0 and they would not be all too powerful either. Remember my car did have a 100ci advantage to push through all that stuff.

Rewind 10 years to put them apples to apples. In the 70's there was really only 1 car that could give the "old feeling". Pontiac Trans Am. my '79 had a very torqy 403ci auto but a guy could still have gotten a w72 T/A (Hi-Po 400) These cars were far ahead of the 145hp 302 Mustang with single exhaust and 2-bbl carb.

'80 was even worse, no 5.0 302 at all. Only the Turbo I4, T/A did suffer also in 1980 since there were no more 400's. They did try to keep the performance with the 210hp Turbo 4.9.

Its just all in what you like and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but calling me white trash because I like T/A's is not intelligent in todays world. Its easy to distinguish the difference in ownership between redneck white trash and educated, intelligent car guy.

Besides if a person wanted to turn the tables on you, they could run you down for owning a really common car that everyone owns. The 64.5-66 Mustang isn't really rare you know, nor is the "Run of the mill" 289 a fast car. Comments like "Thats a grandma's Mustang", "Everyone and their dog owns one of those" or "Those are so slow, early Mustangs suck"

*Those are all phrases I've actually heard at car shows regarding early Mustangs, none have ever been uttered by me, they are simply being used for examples and are not endorsed by this station or its management....! And you don't want to know what I've heard uttered about a Fox Mustang :eek:

Had to throw a "disclaimer" in there.:D Fact is, I don't really have to explain myself or what I like, but in this case since 2nd Gen T/A's hit very close to home with me, I wanted to show that not just "Rednecks" like T/A's... They've moved on to Dodge Cummins :lol:

For their decade, the T/A was a seriously performing car. The Pontiac people kept with as much performance as possible in a bad era and you have to give them credit for making it as potent as possible amid all the Gloom.
:flag:

I miss all of my old cars,but the ones I miss the most are my,70 340 swinger,71duster with a 440 out of a 68 superbee,and a 70 torino gt.I know,I know used to be into mopars back in the day,but yes I've seen the light.But I'll admitt I still love them n would buy one if I could find one for a decent $,Damn Barett Jackson,drove prices for muscle cars thru the roof,guess it would be ok if I still had them

I miss all of my old cars,but the ones I miss the most are my,70 340 swinger,71duster with a 440 out of a 68 superbee,and a 70 torino gt.I know,I know used to be into mopars back in the day,but yes I've seen the light.But I'll admitt I still love them n would buy one if I could find one for a decent $,Damn Barett Jackson,drove prices for muscle cars thru the roof,guess it would be ok if I still had them

I had a 70 Swinger w/ the factory 340 also! 4 spd and posi rear! Black hood w/ dual scoops! I sold it in 1997 for 5 grand! Shoulda kept that one! :(

I dont want to derail the thread but I regret selling my car trailer:

I bought this car trailer for just under a grand. Real Solid Parker performance trailer. Needed some TLC but tires were great. Stripped the old paint and layed on 2 thick coats of xo rust. Welded on a new HD tongue and jack and threw on a set of saleen decals I had kicking around. Violla! A sweet race trailer.
I got rid of it and made a grand on it, to help pay off my new tool box at work.
If I could go back in time, Id love to have kept it. It was a real rugged trailer. Its hard to come by nice trailers where the owner doesnt want an arm and a leg for it. I was lucky and ebay took care of the selling price with a suprising bidding war.
Ill never find a car trailer for that price again.

attachment.php