What catbacks have tailpipes that follow the oem routing?

SLOWBRA

Founding Member
Oct 30, 2001
NC
My fox has a original Kenny Brown panhard bar that, based on my research, allows the oem tailpipes to clear. I don’t have an exhaust on the car currently and don’t want to put 2.25” oem tailpipes on it.

I’m looking to confirm which tailpipes follow the oem routing? I’d prefer buying a catback with straight through mufflers/resonators, but also open to building my own with prefabricated tailpipes. I’ve seen that both flowmaster and LMR both offer 2.5” tailpipes, but they haven’t confirmed they follow the oem routing. Does anyone have knowledge or experience with this?

• Sponsors (?)

Im saying that if you're going to modify your car from OEM expect to chase down little gremlins for a drama free ride.

I had to adjust my mufflers a few times to ensure no knocking on the underside of the car and clearance with my tailpipes/panhard bar. Some guys run 3" exhaust, but I'm not sure it's worth the work.

Reactions: 1 user
Im saying that if you're going to modify your car from OEM expect to chase down little gremlins for a drama free ride.

I had to adjust my mufflers a few times to ensure no knocking on the underside of the car and clearance with my tailpipes/panhard bar. Some guys run 3" exhaust, but I'm not sure it's worth the work.
Ha! Most of us know that all too well. I want to avoid a situation where I am spending $$$ only to have to go to a local shop and chop/weld. If I need to do that I may as well have them build it from scratch.

I'm glad I got the Mac tailpipes when they were still available. It's the only one I have seen with an extra joint for better adjustment.

Kurt

My magnaflow 3" s/s cat back routes over the rear axle and is clear of all body and suspension components and I'm still running quad shocks. It took some careful adjustment, but fits very well, no rubbing or noises.
I was going to buy this kit, but based on how they route near the fuel tank I was concerned it wouldn't clear my panhard bar. I haven't seen the kit in person, just in pictures and videos. I ended up getting the 2.5" Magnaflow Catback to try out instead of the LMR tailpipes and building a kit. I'll post up my results soon.

There are very few kits that clear with panhard bars.
Personally i would not buy a magnaflow.
If the KB bar is similar to the MM kit (which too requires factory routing) your choices are pretty much dynomax and flowmaster.

I'm pretty sure (i am going by memory) that the dynomax ultraflo welded muffler (type of muffler, not to be confused with welded on) kit i have is the 17393.
100% certain that it fits with an MM panhard bar, which as i said requires factory routing.
The mufflers are a bit on the loud side for me, so they will be swapped out for super turbos.
I wouldn't say they are all that much different than flowmasters or any other muffler with no cats, it's just i prefer less attention rather than more these days.

Pretty sure the kit is discontinued, but that doesn't always mean you can't find it.

Last edited:
There are very few kits that clear with panhard bars.
Personally i would not buy a magnaflow.
If the KB bar is similar to the MM kit (which too requires factory routing) your choices are pretty much dynomax and flowmaster.
That was my concern, which delayed making a purchase for weeks. In the end I decided I want a full kit rather than piece it all together. the KB Panhard bar I have is a first generation that further complicated what routing was needed. The Magnaflow will be delivered today so I can't back out now :) I am sure it'll have to go to an exhaust shop for modifying the pipes. I'll post up my experiences :)

I pieced together my cat back as I'm no fan of the "Flowmaster" laser etching on the tailpipes. Flow tubes and tail pipes from LMR and 3 chamber Flowmasters from Amazon.

How is the quality of the LMR tailpipes?

I was going to cut up my flowmaster cat-back to try and save the tailpipes but if there is an off-the-shelf tailpipe option that clears the panhard i will go that route instead and just take the cat-back out in 1 peice

I don't mind the flowmaster logo (it's already on my current setup) so does anyone know if these follow the stock routing?

How is the quality of the LMR tailpipes?

I was going to cut up my flowmaster cat-back to try and save the tailpipes but if there is an off-the-shelf tailpipe option that clears the panhard i will go that route instead and just take the cat-back out in 1 peice

I don't mind the flowmaster logo (it's already on my current setup) so does anyone know if these follow the stock routing?

I know you didn't ask me, but let me tell you what kept me from going the LMR tailpipe route. A few friends that I know said that it didn't follow the oem routing. The LMR rep I spoke with last week couldn't confirm it one way or the other. I suspect it's a quality control issue since others will tell you it does follow the oem routing.

Well that's a bummer. Looks like i'll just hack up my current cat-back to keep the (flowmaster) tailpipes when i change my mufflers.
Right? I saw some old posts my an MM employee who said they've heard good things about the LMR tailpipes clearing. I was torn on what to do and finally gave up and bought a kit to make my life easier... hopefully.