What else do i need?

RsStanG1987

I shaved all my pubes playing this game.
10 Year Member
Mar 13, 2004
Dupont PA
Im starting to gather my parts for my H/C/I swap that im doing in June. What else do I need besides Hads, Cam, Intake,Gakets? Will i need Lifters too? I was also thinking I may pickup a new throttle body and a set Of roller rockers.
Just Give me a baisic rundown of what I will need. Thanks..:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

In addition to what you already have listed, I would say pick up a set of ARP head bolts and a new timing chain set. Obviously you will need to change the oil and filter when you are done. It's also a good time to change the water pump if it has high miles.

Well I was gonne get my bottom end rebuilt while i was in there and have the guy assemble everything. But incase My bottom end is fine im gonna do it myself. I was thinking of a set of 1.7s also.

I would get new antifreeze, some thread sealant, new intake bolts if you don't have them already, RTV, razor blades, some lengths of vac hose for any old/brittle hoses that might be worn or cracked, might as well check the PCV screen, grommet and filter while you're there, MEK or similar to clean the block surface, injector O-ring kits if swapping manifolds (just in case). Some people prefer to change oil and filter afterwards, run for 50-100 miles, then change again... Might as well go 180* Mr. Gasket balanced T-stat.....that might be it!!!! :D

legalize420 said:
if you are on a budget, you can use your stock lifters. i would pick up a set of 1.7's from a cobra. i got mine for $75 shipped.

ive always been told to never reuse lifters, espically stockers. always use a new set lifters when changing cams. pushrods and rockers could be used over (if theyre in specs). and check your cam specs before you go to a bigger rocker, some cams are designed with stock valvetrains in mind and might have piston clearance issues if you use to high of a ratio.

Chuckman said:
ive always been told to never reuse lifters, espically stockers. always use a new set lifters when changing cams. pushrods and rockers could be used over (if theyre in specs). and check your cam specs before you go to a bigger rocker, some cams are designed with stock valvetrains in mind and might have piston clearance issues if you use to high of a ratio.

its not recommened to reuse lifters on a flat tappet camshaft. b/c the lifters wear with the cam, roller lifters( what the 5.0HO has) have roller tips and dont wear.

While its not a bad idea to replace them, i dont think its absolutly neccesary with a roller cam motor.

Foxfan88 said:
its not recommened to reuse lifters on a flat tappet camshaft. b/c the lifters wear with the cam, roller lifters( what the 5.0HO has) have roller tips and dont wear.

While its not a bad idea to replace them, i dont think its absolutly neccesary with a roller cam motor.
What the hell are you talking about? I was planning on Changing the push rods and lifters .I dont have a flat tappet cam either.

If they weren't mentioned before

While you are inside the motor:

New FRPP oil pump driveshaft for $50.00 approx.
APR Head studs or Bolts
New lifters are a good idea if you can swing them

Head gaskets,intake gaskets,timing chain cover gaskets,timing chain cover dowls,oil pan gasket w/ front seal,new distributor o-ring,new timing chain (really should),RTV clear silcone sealant,contact seament (for holding the gaskets in place),new timing chain cover-to-hamonic balance (front main?) seal,you'll need a balancer puller/installer,Lock-Tite blue,water pump gasket,valve cover gaskets,headers gaskets,if a new distributor gear/distributor make sure you use a moly lube (cam lube) and grease it up,new oil (important to not use synthetic oil to break in the new cam,lifters,gears),you can reuse the oil filter now for the break in,then you'll need another filter and oil change (you can us synthetic now),and of course all the scrapers,and cleaners.

I just went through it (and still am,lol).

bluevenom867 said:
Head gaskets,intake gaskets,timing chain cover gaskets,timing chain cover dowls,oil pan gasket w/ front seal,new distributor o-ring,new timing chain (really should),RTV clear silcone sealant,contact seament (for holding the gaskets in place),new timing chain cover-to-hamonic balance (front main?) seal,you'll need a balancer puller/installer,Lock-Tite blue,water pump gasket,valve cover gaskets,headers gaskets,if a new distributor gear/distributor make sure you use a moly lube (cam lube) and grease it up,new oil (important to not use synthetic oil to break in the new cam,lifters,gears),you can reuse the oil filter now for the break in,then you'll need another filter and oil change (you can us synthetic now),and of course all the scrapers,and cleaners.

I just went through it (and still am,lol).
Thanks man thats exactly what i was looking for. :nice: