What Is A 1988 Gt 5.0 Hatchback With 12500 Miles Worth

oh, guess I was skimming...
for gins I did a quick search of low mileage Fox bodies for sale... found a few $19.5 and up... found a mint 93 cobra for $33k. Zionks!

• Sponsors (?)

I agree with the sentiment of the other guys. Also, going from an 07' GT500 to a "stock" 88' 5.0 is going to leave you wanting. You'll likely get bored with lack of power rather quickly and then dig in to that low mile car which will depreciate the car by a lot.

I had a GT500 dynoed at 664 rwhp with a slew of mods. Traded that in on a 17GT350. Pricey car with a big payment . Ive enjoyed it for the past year but going retro doesnt sound bad either .... esp around $10000 - $15000 price range.

Near retirement age and a fox body is alot easier to take care of. I had a 88 GT hatchback and loved it. Black with Grey.

HP wise ..... these cars .... mods are cheap and I definitly would put a blower on it with the appropriate support mods

don

I had a GT500 dynoed at 664 rwhp with a slew of mods. Traded that in on a 17GT350. Pricey car with a big payment . Ive enjoyed it for the past year but going retro doesnt sound bad either .... esp around $10000 - $15000 price range.

Near retirement age and a fox body is alot easier to take care of. I had a 88 GT hatchback and loved it. Black with Grey.

HP wise ..... these cars .... mods are cheap and I definitly would put a blower on it with the appropriate support mods

don
I would have difficulty purchasing a car that's that clean and modding it.

I hear what you all say! ! Made a discovery. I work for a Ford store and our parts manager who has a modded fox body noticed in the pictures the windows are crank ....... crank windows for $25000 k no thank you !!

I missed it

don

That means it's an LX or a special order GT. Either way, it just became a little more rare.

How many of that combo were made?

I would have difficulty purchasing a car that's that clean and modding it.

That means it's an LX or a special order GT. Either way, it just became a little more rare.

How many of that combo were made?

So your saying crank windows in a GT is extremely rare and makes the car worth more?

don

Another car I would considered is the 93 cobra

And any fox body because I am use to at least 500 hp or more for the past umpteen yrs it will have a blower

Found this cobra in IL. for $24,800 asking and has a sweet blower on it in the color I want .... black.

50,000 miles .... a good every day driver

don

Attachments

• 93 blk.jpg
    93 blk.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 146
  • 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 123
Reactions: 1 users
I hear what you all say! ! Made a discovery. I work for a Ford store and our parts manager who has a modded fox body noticed in the pictures the windows are crank ....... crank windows for $25000 k no thank you !!

I missed it

don

I actually saw that. Didn't really take much away from the value in my eyes. Manual doors, windows and probably manual mirrors...but it has cruise. Means it was special ordered that way and more uncommon.

So while you are balking at it, others are looking approvingly.

I actually saw that. Didn't really take much away from the value in my eyes. Manual doors, windows and probably manual mirrors...but it has cruise. Means it was special ordered that way and more uncommon.

So while you are balking at it, others are looking approvingly.

balking is a tad over the top; Im not hesitating at all

Like tv remotes .... once you have it you never go back.

will never have manual roll ups either ever again

don

Another car I would considered is the 93 cobra

And any fox body because I am use to at least 500 hp or more for the past umpteen yrs it will have a blower

Found this cobra in IL. for $24,800 asking and has a sweet blower on it in the color I want .... black.

50,000 miles .... a good every day driver

don

Now that I would spend $20-25k on.

Just a thought. Have you driven a fox lately? I only ask because coming from a gt500 and gt350, you may find it very unrefined.

balking is a tad over the top; Im not hesitating at all

Like tv remotes .... once you have it you never go back.

will never have manual roll ups either ever again

don

Ironically I no longer have tv. :)

But I get what you are saying. My vice would be AC. I won't even consider a car without it these days

Now that I would spend $20-25k on.

Just a thought. Have you driven a fox lately? I only ask because coming from a gt500 and gt350, you may find it very unrefined.

you think ? Your absolutely correct. Trading my GT500 for the GT350 was a wake up call in refinement. Its going to be different absolutely

don

If you seriously are considering the Cobra, then yes, different opinion there. They are limited production, serialized and have had a cult following. $25k today might be $35-40k in 10 years and $50k in 20 years. I believe they are investment grade.

Of course, i say that based off one pic. I'd probably pull the blower off, put it back to stockish as focus on restoration and keeping it clean and reliable and enjoy it. I think you'd get your money back assuming no 2008 type fiasco occurs before you go to sell. Collectible cars do poorly in market crashes. Great time to buy though. Stocks too

Reactions: 1 user
Power windows were not standard in 87 or 88 GT's. Not sure about 89 and on Foxes though.

Correct. Power windows was an option in '88

IMG_3539.jpg

Looks like that car specifically was a 249A GT with the special value group package

IMG_3540.jpg

I always get a kick out of how kids traveled in the 80s
IMG_3542.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Never saw any GT without the Custom Equipment Group, which included power windows, A/C, power mirrors, tinted glass, etc. It's probably a fake GT.

Last edited:
I always found it strange my '88 LX had all the options...AOD, A/C, tilt, defrost, power everything, sunroof, block heaters, etc.....but no cruise.

It was probably one more box to check off.

Back in 86, my dad special ordered an 87 Oxford White GT hatchback. Only option he had was A/C. Even deleted the rear window defroster for no cost premium sound for the AM/FM radio with NO cassette. No power locks, or windows. :rlaugh: