Engine What size MAF / injectors?

Red50Fox

May 6, 2019
Massachusetts
Hi all. Back to planning stages for the next round of upgrades for the 88 GT convertible.
I already have:
upper and lower gt40 intake
gt40 heads (#F1ZE-AA)
70 mm throttle body
BBK fenderwell cold air intake.

Thinking about:
mild street cam (303), roller rockers( what ratio, 1.6 or 1.7?)
MAF conversion.

My questions are:
do I need to, should I, upgrade my injectors? Currently stock at19lb.
do I need to upgrade anything else to accommodate the above.

Please let me know
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I have a very similar set up.

Stock bottom end
GT40 3-bar heads with smoothed intake and exhaust ports
Explorer upper and lower - internal EGR style
BBK 70mm TB and EGR spacer
C&L 76mm MAF (I had a 73mm on it and it doesn't seem to have made much difference)
C&L cone filter connected to hood scoop air feed.
19 lbs Explorer injectors (they have 4 nozzle holes vs stock Mustang single hole)
1.7 RR
Crower 15512 cam ([email protected] 222/228, adv. dur. 282/286, lift with 1.7RRs .527/.544, 112 LSA)
MAC equal length shorty headers
MAC 2.5" Pro-Chamber with aftermarket cats added
MAC 2.5" Pro Dump mufflers with turndowns removed and 2.5" Flowmaster LX tailpipes
Innovate dual wideband (DLG-1 kit)

I'm a factory AOD car with AOD still in it (A9P ECU).

I have an Anderson PMS hooked up but not tuning. I am using it at this point as a monitor. What I have seen is at WOT, around 5000-5500 rpm, I was at 95% duty cycle on the injectors (wideband was showing 12.8-13.5). I think my horsepower level is 320-350 HP at crank (no dyno test to prove). Other than the calibration tube in the MAF, I have no tuning done to the system. Watching the widebands, the system seems to be behaving with no leaning out or over rich situations when driving under load.

I have just changed to 24 lbs injectors (because of the 95% duty cycle) but have not been able to test whether this has made a difference in performance. It does idle and run very well so far. Again only a custom sized calibration tube for the MAF to make it run. Hopefully some tuning in the spring/summer.

Depending on how you are planning to use your car, 19 lbs injectors for a street cruiser (that will not see high RPMs often) should work well with your combination and can simplify the conversion to MAF (stock computers, harness and MAF).

Just my personal experience and my 2 cents on your combination. Let us know where you go with it.

20200918_205404.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Monkey, it's an AOD tranny.
From the above it appears the 19lb (stock) injectors will be ok.
Thank you KRUISR for the detail.

I'm reading between the lines here but it sounds like I could leave the cam alone and go with roller rockers and still see a gain. If that’s true which would be better, 1.6 or 1.7? I guess same question on rockers if I do swap out the cam? Regarding the 19lb Explorer injectors, I did not realize they were 4 hole vs single, what's the benefit of that? Same amount of fuel just different delivery?

Monkey, it's an AOD tranny.
From the above it appears the 19lb (stock) injectors will be ok.
Thank you KRUISR for the detail.

I'm reading between the lines here but it sounds like I could leave the cam alone and go with roller rockers and still see a gain. If that’s true which would be better, 1.6 or 1.7? I guess same question on rockers if I do swap out the cam? Regarding the 19lb Explorer injectors, I did not realize they were 4 hole vs single, what's the benefit of that? Same amount of fuel just different delivery?
I ran a stock bottom end,stock GT40 heads, Cobra 1.7 rockers,Cobra intake and usual bolt ons. Idled like a stocker and ran great. You'll want 3.73s minimum,and look at a Trans Go shift kit for the AOD. Will really wake the car up.

The 4 holes versus 1 hole gives a better atomization of the fuel. Essentially the same amount of fuel sprayed out in 4 finer streams instead of 1 larger one.

I have 1.7 RRs on 2 motors now, my current one and its predecessor. That engine was stock cam, stock heads, same intakes and injectors, same exhaust a modified Explorer 65mm TB that I believe was around 290-300 hp at the crank. It is original to the car with 244k km on it and was starting to blow blue smoke out tailpipe under hard acceleration (I still have the long block as pulled when I changed motors).

The 1.7s boost your stock cam lift up to 0.472 over the stock 0.444 and almost the same as the B cam (0.480).

You'll want 3.73s minimum,and look at a Trans Go shift kit for the AOD. Will really wake the car up.
I have 3.73s and a Lentech VB in an otherwise stock AOD (even the converter). Car is fun to drive, does very good mileage on the highway (better than my 2004 Escape).

I have just changed to 24 lbs injectors (because of the 95% duty cycle) but have not been able to test whether this has made a difference in performance. It does idle and run very well so far. Again only a custom sized calibration tube for the MAF to make it run. Hopefully some tuning in the spring/summer.
KRUISR, would you be interested in parting with the Explorer 19lb injectors?

Messing with the injectors is a waste of time and money.
The gains from the roller rockers will be negligible.
I'm not so sure an explorer intake has a 70mm opening.

The meter would however be worth it, as long as it's calibrated for the 19's.

One could even argue that the mass air conversion may not be worth the effort quite yet.
Speed density cars were always known to be slightly quicker than the mass air cars.

Once you change the cam, the conversion will be a must.
But as of right now, if it runs good, i may not mess with it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Check around for SD friendly cams.

They'll sound better, and make better mid-range than an E cam.

If it hadn't been so long since I'd looked, I might be able to recommend something. There are dudes on here way better at cam selection than me so...

Agree with 2000xp8: Those parts will work awesome with SD. Next stop... Blower and I'd still remain SD. :D (then you would require injectors IMO)

I'm not so sure an explorer intake has a 70mm opening.
I read something from tmoss ... he said the Explorer has an 69mm opening. I had my upper off last weekend and can verify that it looks like 69mm. I have a 70mm TB and EGR spacer and you can just see the inside edge of the intake opening when looking down.

tmoss indicated that he didn't think the slight difference would make any difference.

Hi all. Back to planning stages for the next round of upgrades for the 88 GT convertible.
I already have:
upper and lower gt40 intake
gt40 heads (#F1ZE-AA)
70 mm throttle body
BBK fenderwell cold air intake.

Thinking about:
mild street cam (303), roller rockers( what ratio, 1.6 or 1.7?)
MAF conversion.

My questions are:
do I need to, should I, upgrade my injectors? Currently stock at19lb.
do I need to upgrade anything else to accommodate the above.

Please let me know
Thanks
I have the E303 cam in my '86, and I have mixed feelings about it. Sounds good, runs good, but jerks a lot at 800-1200 RPM. If doing again, I think I'd look for a different cam.

Evening folks. I picked up a Ford MAF sensor, part number E9ZF-12B579-AA AFH55-03, because it was for 19lb injectors. I think I bought the wrong part ( not the first time probably not the last time.) So looking for some guidance... 88 5.0 gt with AOD. Stock motor with a 70 mm bbk throttle body and a 1557 bbk cold air intake currently with the adapter for non maf. As mentioned above I have GT40 heads and intake (not installed yet) and am thinking of a mild cam also. All that said, what size MAF do I need, what "donor" car should I look for?