what well known muffler shop did this...?

12sec67

Oct 6, 2003
San Diego, Ca
the shop charged him $300.00 and let him know as he was leaving that he may here the tip hit the ground if he goes over any large speed bumps but it would be fine.
midasao6.jpg

midismufflerjx4.jpg

Attachments

• midasao6.jpg
    midasao6.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 102
  • midismufflerjx4.jpg
    midismufflerjx4.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 97
  • Sponsors (?)

Yeah, haha. It's going to be ruined when we back the car up into the road to bring it around back. It scraped coming into our drive. Guess what it's going to do when going backwards.And this company advertises on TV nation wide.

Before leaving the shop, I would have thrown an ape**** fit and demanded that they do the tailpipe and tip correctly. I would have also demanded that they allow me to get under the car while on the lift so I could make sure they didn't f-up any other part of the exhaust setup.

For $300, I could make a better looking and better performing system out of pvc pipe, duct tape, and super glue.

never use midas or mieneke. my local non-franchise shop did my complete 2.5" system, mandrel bent with aluminized pipe and walker turbo muff's for $275 out the door with a crossover which they didn't even include in the original quote but didn't charge anything extra. it's one of the cleanest installs i've seen, everything tucks up really close to the body and nothing, not one single piece of pipe hangs down any lower than the frame rails, the hedman shorty headers helped a lot in that department but it's still a very nice install, they even left enough room for the as yet not done AOD swap. everything is tucked up into the driveshaft tunnel just like factory most places try to run the pipes under the floor boards which loses a lot of ground clearance that way. to say i was impressde was an understatement.

For $300, I could make a better looking and better performing system out of pvc pipe, duct tape, and super glue.

I only charge 250, and I use 3 inch copper. Want a cutout too? No porblem!

Ill solder on a ball valve for easy cutout operation.

The sad part is, I think using copper would actually work, and look better than that exhaust hack job midas did LOL

Most people don't know that, for optimal performance, an angled tip like that needs to be installed so that the cut is parallel with the ground. And it should have a maximum of 2" clearance .

Most people don't know that, for optimal performance, an angled tip like that needs to be installed so that the cut is parallel with the ground. And it should have a maximum of 2" clearance .

makes sense, the proximity of the tip to the ground combined with the high speed of the vehicle will create an area of negative pressure, therefor sucking the exhaust out much like a reverse turbo.

Genius!1!!1!!!

I wouldnt take it back to them to fix it after seeing what they did the first time. I would how ever get my money back, you could even take them to court to pay for another shop to fix ther mistakes if you really wanted to. As for the reverse turbo super exhaust, I doubt a big franchise shop would even consider doing one for 300 bucks :p

What a great idea. Around here, we have a lot of trouble with Groundhogs. They always dig a entrance and exit. Looks like this may be the solution. Just simply back this thing up to one of the holes, hit the gas, and blow him out the other end. You'll need a net to catch it as it flys out the other end. You need a patent.

Are you sure it isn't playing double duty as a curb feeler?
If you sometimes back into parking slots (Yeah, I know, but my company demands it in their vehicles); that tip would be da Bomb for telling you when you're close enough to the parking block! Much better than the crunch telling you that you backed too far and your Chevy pickup is now the hood ornament on a Lexus :nonono: (Not me, one of the other guys on our crew)

My$0.02:
Midas (at least our local shop) does a pretty good job on replacements for OEM stock exhaust lines. Anything that deviates from that point (or requires intelligent imagination) is best left to the Mom 'n' Pop stores.