What wheel and tire combos? Need advice

blkcobra50

Jul 24, 2006
I'm am going to be in the market for some new wheels and tires soon so I would like to know what everyone is running on their cars. Pictures, descriptions as well as technical specs of their combos are all welcome to help me choose. Would like a 17x9" rim

I was looking at 98 cobra or 03 cobra wheels but not sure if offset and backspacing is right to run a 275 rear tire. I don't know if it requires me to remove my rear quad shock which I do not want to do. thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

I have '98 cobras and for the price (dirt cheap) I think they look great. Makes me wonder why more people dont have them. I have 275 BFG DRs on them and run a 1 3/8 inch wheel spacer and they sit just about perfect. Ideally a 1 1/4 inch spacer would be better as they just slightly stick out but no where near bad enough that I would ever change it.

I have 315's on the back and still have my quad shocks, some people have to flip them though, which takes like 20 minutes. I know SOME people can run 275's up front, and some people cant, all cars are different and some will rub a little. Personally I have 255's up front and 315's on the back. I have some black '95 Cobra R's with deep dish on the back.

If you are going to get two different tires sized then go ahead and get the DD wheels. They look awesome, and you can rotate them just as good as regular wheels with different size tires... not at all.

Ill find the pics of mine, just a sec.

Tires: http://www.automodding.com/showpost.php?p=10006868&postcount=19

Wheels on car: http://www.automodding.com/showpost.php?p=10006982&postcount=29

The Green GT, I really like how the 315 look on there. They are some wide tires! How wide are those rims? I am leaning toward 98 cobra wheels at 17x9. I don't know if I want to go wider than a 275 eventhough i really like how the 315s look. I was thinking about drag radials for the rear but also like how the high performance tires look when they are really wide.

Is anyone familiar with an offset and backspacing that would make the rear wheel sit perfectly in the well with no spacer?

figured they were 9inch because i didn't think 275s could fit on a 8 inch wheel. so i guess they can in that case i'm going to keep my stock wheels and get 275's for the rear.

18x9" fr500 w/toyo proxes tires 255/40 f, 285/35 r:

if they had deep dishes 3 years ago i would have gone deep on the rears ...

DSCF0508.JPG

DSCF0511.JPG

DSCF0495.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF0508.JPG
    DSCF0508.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCF0511.JPG
    DSCF0511.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCF0495.JPG
    DSCF0495.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 106
Car looks great with those tires and wheels. If I were to get DD wheels for the rear what sort of offset and backspacing would I need for a 275/285 rear? I want something to fill up the wheel well in the rear with a wide stance. what are my DD wheel options? I haven't seen any yet.

blkcobra50 said:
Car looks great with those tires and wheels. If I were to get DD wheels for the rear what sort of offset and backspacing would I need for a 275/285 rear? I want something to fill up the wheel well in the rear with a wide stance. what are my DD wheel options? I haven't seen any yet.
if your looking at the more popular style wheels for our cars (cobra, bullet, fr500, saleen ect) dont worry about backspacing, their all pretty much the same. if your wheel sits too far in the wheel well for your taste you can always add a spacer

Like someone else said, if you get Mustang wheels, the backspacing will already be perfect. My DD wheels sit flush with the quarter panel.
And my back wheels are 10.5 in wide, and my fronts are 9 in.

I had a buddy of mine come down today for some brake work on his 93 mustang. While he was here we took a look at my car and measured out wheel specs to see what wheel offset and backspacing I need that would create the look I want. If possible I don't want to go with a spacer. Don't they put more stress on the studs? If I can get a 275 on an 8inch wheel then I should just get me some nitto drag radials and mount them. Then again if I can get my wheels widened an inch without having any tailpipe or quad shock issues maybe I could go that route. I would feel better if the 275s were on a 9 inch wheel though.

blkcobra50 said:
I had a buddy of mine come down today for some brake work on his 93 mustang. While he was here we took a look at my car and measured out wheel specs to see what wheel offset and backspacing I need that would create the look I want. If possible I don't want to go with a spacer. Don't they put more stress on the studs? If I can get a 275 on an 8inch wheel then I should just get me some nitto drag radials and mount them. Then again if I can get my wheels widened an inch without having any tailpipe or quad shock issues maybe I could go that route. I would feel better if the 275s were on a 9 inch wheel though.
Get DD and put 315's.

Honestly if you are going to get different size tires on the back and front, go balls to the wall and get the 315's on DD wheels.

The Green GT said:
Get DD and put 315's.

Honestly if you are going to get different size tires on the back and front, go balls to the wall and get the 315's on DD wheels.

Will possibly do that. AFS makes some 95 cobra r wheels 10.5 in the rear and 8 inch for the front. Might be what I will do in the future after paint!