What's everyone's opinion of the knock sensor? (turbo 2.3)

To unplug the knock sensor or not?

• Unplug it and run 93

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Leave it plugged in

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

85_SS_302_Coupe

it sucks (I know) to be on the receiving end
15 Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
Northern KY
The guys over on the Merkur forum are split. Most of them agree that it's extremely sensitive, too much actually, and that they limit performance because they pull so much timing (or whatever it is they do when they're set off). About half of them say just unplug it and run 93 octane and the other half say it's safe insurance and to leave it plugged in. I strictly run 93 octane anyways (sometimes 94 when it's available) so that's not a big deal for me.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah my thoughts are as long as i don't have a fuel delivery problem or have the timing too advanced, and stick with premium i should be fine. It runs sooo much better and smoother now. I'm about to go out and throw my LA3 and big VAM on it and see how it goes :D

Well i ran for a couple days with it unplugged and it really did run a LOT better, but i ended up swapping my LA3/VAM on so i plugged it back in just to be safe until i get it intercooled.

I had read somewhere that if the computer detects that the knock sensor is disconnected (it checks it at startup), it will not run the timing quite as high to compensate for it. Everyone that I know says that they get a major performance increase with it disconnected, but like said above, I think it's cheap insurance. My 86 Capri had a carbed 2.3L in it and there was no knock sensor at all and it pinged constantly. Over time, the pinging cracked 2 of the 4 combustion chambers in the head.