Votes: 10 35.7%
  • No, but I would

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters

Cheapskate207

The left one hangs a little lower
Jan 12, 2020
Maine
I don't generally care for LED headlight bulbs on old cars. Old cars just look better with halogens to me. However, the thought of less load on the electrical system is appealing and therefore makes me open to the idea of them. Now, I'm not sure just how beneficial LED bulbs are, but I would be curious to know. That's not the purpose of this post though. I thought it would be interesting to do a poll on who run's LED headlight's. Feel free to give you opinion's/thoughts to why you do, would, or don't below.

• Sponsors (?)

My headlights are HID,very bright, then signals and markets are led,also very bright. Neither get hot,and I guess draw less? I must say my led dash lights are awsome.

LED headlights are very bright white light, but to oncoming drivers it appears you have your high beams on, as they do not focus the light like a standard bulb.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I have switched some of my vechicles over to LED with success. There are some good videos regarding quality and ranges, I am using ~6K and only using ZES LED's. I have had good success with JDM ASTAR at 9 months on 2 vechicles. Problem is the 9004 for the Mustang seem to be out of stock or rare im not about to spend $170.

Last edited:
The glare when a car/truck with led headlights is coming at you is tremendous, cars that came from the factory with HID lights are less annoying because they are designed with on coming traffic in mind.
A car/truck with leds coming at me makes me want to put a bullet through the windshield.
JMO

When I bought my 86 Saleen, the headlights were terrible. We came back from the coast on a rainy night after thanksgiving one year and I white knuckled it most of the way. Couldn't see :poo:. After that, I bought a full set of 4 Hella's and those were 50% better than what the car had but it was still marginal at best. I know I could have done the relay mod but I do not want to modify my original wiring. I am not a big fan of LED lights either but after daylight savings changed this year and about 7 years with the hella bulbs, I decided to try them out. I bought a set of Beamtech bulbs just for the main headlights and OMG they are such a huge difference. Even when it is pouring down rain, I can see perfectly. They were only $33 shipped and they fit perfectly in my Hella housings. Even though I have only had them for a little over a month, I have driven the car enough with them that I am thinking about getting a set for my SN95's and Ranger. That is how impressed I am with them.

I like them . I will say I think the light output is slightly less then the old PNP Hid kits . I also have smoked lenses so that cuts the out put down of course . I have them in my gmc pickup as well and they are decently bright. To me no offense if you’re paying more then 27-35 bucks shipped for them it’s too much . Odds are they are all made cheaply in the same place . Even the ones advertised as using cree leds are the same price as I mentioned .
I’d still like to do a retro fit on the mustang .
CC99B549-774D-4490-96CD-458BF0857623.jpeg

In my stock 2017 Mustang I constantly have people thinking my brights are on. It's noticeably worse on a two lane road. I just have to keep my hand on the lever because people love to get right up on you before turning theirs on.

I run Auxbeam LED's from amazon in my car. The color is perfect, I never liked the yellow look of halogen lights. All the lights inside and out of my car are LED. I think it really modernizes it. The light output is great, but there is only so much that can be done with our old reflector housings. They just don't throw the light out there very well. I have my lights adjusted down as to not blind anyone and have never been flashed.

I have done a Morimoto retrofit on my fox, the light output was great with HIDs and it definitely helped my fox stand out in a crowd. I didn't like all the extra wires and harnesses associated with retrofit to HIDs and "behind the scene" was hard to clean up and looked messy to me. I have reverted back to an led bulb in each new globe for simplicity. I may revisit these headlights in the future but its not cheap nor is it easy to duplicate
retrofit1.jpg
retrofit2.jpg
retrofit3.jpg

I've ran HIDs in my smoked housings and loved them but wasn't in love with all the added wiring. Switched to $23 led bulbs and although they are not as bright as the HIDs they are allot brighter than the halogens.. halogens I would have to drive around with high beams on to have enough light out of the smoked housings to see anything.

I have done a Morimoto retrofit on my fox, the light output was great with HIDs and it definitely helped my fox stand out in a crowd. I didn't like all the extra wires and harnesses associated with retrofit to HIDs and "behind the scene" was hard to clean up and looked messy to me. I have reverted back to an led bulb in each new globe for simplicity. I may revisit these headlights in the future but its not cheap nor is it easy to duplicate
retrofit1.jpg
retrofit2.jpg
retrofit3.jpg
This is what I want to do . Use the ultra smoke center only though as I’m not a fan of the markers and like the stock fluted look . I know the factory fluted lense is no good for a projector though.

Last edited:
I've ran HIDs in my smoked housings and loved them but wasn't in love with all the added wiring. Switched to $23 led bulbs and although they are not as bright as the HIDs they are allot brighter than the halogens.. halogens I would have to drive around with high beams on to have enough light out of the smoked housings to see anything.
Exactly !

LED or HID do not belong in a housing meant for halogen bulbs unless you do a proper retrofit, with a NON-fluted lense. Period.

Reflector housings scatter the light all around in the first place. LED and or HID is just a brighter light scatter. Put a goddamn retrofit projector in a NON-fluted housing or leave it the phuck alone.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
This is what I want to do . Use the ultra smoke center only though as I’m not a fan of the market and like the stock fluted look . I know the factory fluted lense is no good for a projector though.
It was just so much tedious work to get them right. I told myself that I will no longer put that much time into seeing at night. I don't even drive at night most time! Ultra clear is the way to go as I tried both, definitely better results with the clear. Did I mention the cost :eek:? Good luck!

It was just so much tedious work to get them right. I told myself that I will no longer put that much time into seeing at night. I don't even drive at night most time! Ultra clear is the way to go as I tried both, definitely better results with the clear. Did I mention the cost :eek:? Good luck!
Yeah I know that’s why I have held off . I have other big stuff to buy still . One day I’ll get to it but I love yours

• Clever