Wheel/tire Setup Help

Hi! I'v searched around for a little bit but have yet to find an answer so I think maybe I should just start one of these. I'm still fairly new to the Mustang scene and I was just wondering if this wheel setup would work:

Front: 18x8.5(+25) with 235/35
Rear: 18x10(+25) with 265/45

I don't really know much about sidewall sizes so any info would be great. I also plan on lowering the car enough to fill up any gap. Thank you! Also, the wheels are XXR 521's in case that makes any difference.

If these do not work, what would be a tire setup that would work? Thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

The maximum tires that our cars allow without rubbing is 315's in the back and 275's in the front. That's for the new edge style wheels, 99-04. The older style it's a little different since I believe the rear axle is shorter. I'm not sure what the limitations are when the car is lowered though. I'm going the max and my car is lowered by about 1.5".

Those should work! :) If you get worried, you could always check in at a tire store also and see what they think.

The maximum tires that our cars allow without rubbing is 315's in the back and 275's in the front. That's for the new edge style wheels, 99-04. The older style it's a little different since I believe the rear axle is shorter. I'm not sure what the limitations are when the car is lowered though. I'm going the max and my car is lowered by about 1.5".

Those should work! :) If you get worried, you could always check in at a tire store also and see what they think.
okay i have a 2002 so hopefully it all works out :) i don't plan on like absolutely slamming the car like i did with my miata (i was scraping on reflectors oops) but i want it sitting pretty low

Reactions: 1 user
I actually have a 2002 also, so we are probably in the same boat haha. Those tires will definitely work. Good luck! :)

thank you so much for the reply! i really appreciate it! i saw your mustang and like the drop a lot so im probably going to get the bilstein shock/strut combo they have on AM that adds like a 1.5-1.7" drop and hopeully i'll have my baby sitting pretty

315 with a 17" tire is the max.
295 is more of an appropriate with an 18" tire.

if you want monster wide 315 you want a 17" tire so you have more side wall to flex when you are launching. 18" tire with low profile tires gives you more control at the risk of having more unsprung weight.

a 315 wide tire does look cool, but performance is negligible with modern tire technology. you can get away with cheaper and not so wide tires that have very good performance.

the front sidewall should always be a little more in the front than the rears. so a 265-45-17 in front
and 265-40-17 in the rear. if you are going staggered you can do 315-40-17. Front tires flex more when you are going around corners.

here are pics of my ride, with the maximum motorsports setup. I have everything but coil overs, so the front is a little higher than the rear. that will be fixed soon.

View: http://imgur.com/a/kP7pY

Last edited:
I don't think i'm going to go 315, but I like the idea of maybe 255/45r18 in the front and 295/40r18 in the rear. Also, I have to keep in mind i'm going to be adding an aggressive drop because i'v decided to go with the coilovers