Where to go for a heater core replacement?

Kerpal

Aug 9, 2004
I'm pretty sure my heater core is shot, and replacing it is one of the only things on this car I have no wish to do myself... :notnice: Anyone know of a place around Portland that does good work and won't charge me an arm and a leg to put a new one in?

• Sponsors (?)

Kerpal said:
I'm pretty sure my heater core is shot, and replacing it is one of the only things on this car I have no wish to do myself... :notnice: Anyone know of a place around Portland that does good work and won't charge me an arm and a leg to put a new one in?

I would go to AFP. I know Jeff has done quite a few of them.

It's not actually that hard to do. Takes a bit of time, but isn't too difficult. I swapped out the heater core in my car late last year. Took about 6 hours or so, but it was the first time I'd ever done it. If you decide you want to give it a shot i've got a decent write-up on the procedure at home that I got off Mustang Monthly or something.

If you get it done at a shop, be prepared to shell out big bucks. I think it's quoted as an 8 hour job.

I'm sure I could do it, I'm just not looking forward to it... I'll have to call those places for quotes, I may decide to save the cash and fix it myself if it's going to be expensive. Do you have a scan of that article? I had a website with a writeup on it but I can't seem to find the URL...

When you say "shell out the big bucks", what are we talkin' ? Big bucks to some isn't big to others. My heater has that distinct coolant smell starting to happen too. Yeah, i could do it myself, but it just doesn't seem all that exciting.

man i hated doing my heater core in my 88gt ive done it quite a few times cause im stupid and i buy them from shmucks.i love doing the heater cor in my 1980 notch its easyer than changing my spark plugs it takes only 10minutes

Kerpal said:
I'm sure I could do it, I'm just not looking forward to it... I'll have to call those places for quotes, I may decide to save the cash and fix it myself if it's going to be expensive. Do you have a scan of that article? I had a website with a writeup on it but I can't seem to find the URL...

Here's the article I used. Each of the pictures is a thumbnail to a larger version if you just click on it. http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/5652/

Mr. Gone - You'll have to call and get quotes, but I think most places charge a full day's labor for the install. 8 hours multiplied by $50+/hour = big bucks. The new heater core itself is only $30. The rest of the cost is entirely labor.

Kerpal said:
Hey ive done like 5 of them and i can help you but i live in tacoma, so i dunno if i would want to drive that far. It takes approximately 2 1/2 hours to get behind the dash then 3-4 hours to put it all back together. i even put new carpet in within that 4 hours. its easy dont go by that picture you dont have to remove the dash completely, heater controls, speakers. there are 2 bolts behind the covers by the doors. then 4 bolts for the steering column, screws behind the plate on top of the dash then loosen the nut above the steering column. before that you have to remove few other minor things.

I've done one,... in a one car garage,... that was soo small that you could not open the car doors all the way. Trust me,.. pay the money, save you back and hands,....$500 is way worth it!! :D

Nate

Jon said:
One recommendation- don't buy a cheap auto parts store heater core unless you like changing them. Step up and get an OEM one from Ford.

I just went through this. The Ford heater cores for our cars are now made in Mexico, and look horrible. They have none of the quality that I expected, incomplete soldering, corroded at nly a month old, and expensive. I tried to find on old stock one with no luck. Went with a GDI from AutoZone (Shucks is same) and it looks great, has all good soldering, I feel much more comfortable with it. I had to find a dealer that had it in stock, as all the others said once I ordered it I was stuck with it no matter what it looked like - no returns. AutoZone has their standard return policy and a lifetime warantee. I couldn't say no to that.

Take a look at them both and decide what you want to do, maybe I just had bad luck with the Ford that day and good luck with AutoZone. :shrug:

(I have pictures of comparison for both if anyone's interested.)

I had the same experience with a GDI one a few years back. It started to leak from one of the tubes and you could see where the solder was incomplete. Guess you can't trust any of them any more. The best thing to do is just bypass the heater core (making it a skateboard). :D