Which heads TFS/AFR

TallyMan

Founding Member
May 29, 2002
Litchfield, NH
Guys-

I'm looking for reccomendations on heads. I am currently running gt-40x heads, but am thinking of upgrading during my P1SC install. Two things, one which do people like better the TFS or AFR. And if you have a preference which model to get, such as 165's or 185's also any info on additional parts needed or suggested upgrades would be appreciated. I tried a search and got very mixed results.. I am more looking for suggestions for my combo, which is:
GT-40 long block, E303, gt-40x alum heads,gt-40 intake, cobra ECU, full exhaust,etc.... HP figures below. The supercharger is in the mail and I intend on running 42lb's, univer mass, and about 10-12lb's of boost.. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Steve

• Sponsors (?)

i am sure i will get flamed for this i like tfs heads much better. depends on your combo I have seen amazing things out of a set of twisted wedge heads. i run high ports and love them. i also think the tw r head is the greatest thing since sliced bread. if i did not have so many pasrts left over from my canfields I would have ran the r head instead of the high ports.

i have seen people with similare combos as yours running good with box stock twisted wedge heads

thanks 82boy-

I am thinking I could probably pickup about 10-20rwhp just adding the TFS heads over my gt-40x heads.... Never mind the charger... Anyway, how do the TFS heads perform with a blower, and would I need other things done to accept them like notching the pistons, pushrods, etc?? With my E303 cam and 1.7 rollers I think I run a total of about .512 lift or something..

Steve

tw heads work great with a blower or turbo. i dont know if it will clear with your e cam something you will have to reasearch. but with 1.7's i think you would have to change pistons. but i think any head you run you might have ptv clearence with any head with the 1.7 rockers and e cam.

i have seen amazing things out of them heads. as far as natural i saw stock block 302 with a afm n64 cam vic jr int. 750 holley box stock tfs tw heads run in the mid 11's with factory suspention till he broke the rear end on slick launch.

a budy of mine had a set of box stock tw heads on a 306 with a set of t bird turbos running in the high 10's not sure what cam he had but i thought is was a alphabet ford cam.

them heads have been around a log time and work great.

I would stick with your GT-40X heads...I don't think it is worth swapping heads just to get 10-20RWHP...The GT-40 head design is actually pretty good...if you really want them to work well with a blower...port the exhaust side and do some bowl blending...and you got yourself an awsome head...or just add more boost...keep in mind...when you swap heads you will have to port match the GT-40 lower to the TW heads and even the AFR's simply because the GT-40 lower is way small especially right by the injector area...I would strongly recommend you opening that part up...other than that you seem to have a nice combo going for you...possibly a custom cam would definately awaken your car...

Highbredcloud said:
I would stick with your GT-40X heads...I don't think it is worth swapping heads just to get 10-20RWHP...The GT-40 head design is actually pretty good...if you really want them to work well with a blower...port the exhaust side and do some bowl blending...and you got yourself an awsome head...or just add more boost...keep in mind...when you swap heads you will have to port match the GT-40 lower to the TW heads and even the AFR's simply because the GT-40 lower is way small especially right by the injector area...I would strongly recommend you opening that part up...other than that you seem to have a nice combo going for you...possibly a custom cam would definately awaken your car...

i would have to agree 100% you have a good combo i dont know that you would pick up that much hp from switching heads.

as far as the question goes i like tfs over afr personal preference if you dead set on changing out heads i would go with the tw heads they have great potential if you what to do more down the road.

If you have been reading any of the muscle mustang and fast fords, they just got done doing a huge cyclinder head blow out and the AFR kicked ass. I am planing on getting a set for my 408 next year..

I think you will gain more horse power by switching the heads when you slap the charger on.

mackey said:
The reason I picked TW over AFR was because with the TW heads you can have 2.02 valves and not have to notch your pistons.
this also depends on your cam. they use a diferent piston as far as valve notches when larger cams are used

as far as mm&ff i dont belive everything i read.

FWIW

A friend of mine (swinerton on the corral) has stock bottom end, TFS heads, stage 1 cam, and track heat intake. With around 11-13 psi with an "S" trim it made 508rwhp. Not a good idea for stock parts, but awesome power none the less.
mike.

here ya go, this will settle everything because this topic is always beatin into the ground.

Attachments

• the answer.jpg
    the answer.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 149
What about the Jon Kaase heads listed at the top..

I always did lean towards the AFR's... Although I've been reading about those new heads from jeg's, that someone listed at the very top of this thread from Jon Kaase, they sound pretty good... Anyone have any input on those???

SmockDoiley- If you have nothing nice to say, shut it... Mind your business, and grow up.

Thanks to everyone else that is mature enough to not say anything if they dont have positive input. I've always looked on this site and enjoyed it till this bozo popped up.

Steve

AFR vs. TFS??? It's pretty much a toss up because I have scene both make really good power. You can't loose either way. I think AFR has the upper hand though. One thing I like about TFS is that they move the valves closer to the middle of the combustion chamber so you can run a larger valve with stock pistons and when the valve is further from the cylinder wall it reduces shrowding of the valve, which isn't picked up on the flowbench.

For 302-310 cid N/A apps, I think the clear answer is AFR 165's, but it's more of a toss up with blown or stroker combo's.