Which MidPipe?

1995stangman

Mar 7, 2011
hey everyone. had a question about midpipes. i want to know which one is the loudest. I have 1 chamber flowmasters, stock h pipe now, 4.10 gears. btw im looking to get an off road pipe. help and opinions would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

You'll probably get a lot of opinions on this, but I say listen to a few different brands in person if you can (local car shows, meets, dyno-days at shops in the area, etc) before you purchase.

Anything but the stock H-pipe is gonna wake up that exhaust note and make it louder...have fun ! :)

Personally I like the UPR X-pipe (multiple piece design allows easy adjustment and install), I prefer the X pipe over the H design. The MAC Prochamber also have a very distinct sound.

Personally I like the UPR X-pipe (multiple piece design allows easy adjustment and install), I prefer the X pipe over the H design. The MAC Prochamber also have a very distinct sound.

I've had a bunch of exhaust systems on my car (I believe 5). The nicest sound had to be the MAC LT's, MAC Prochamber (had them both in 2.5" & 3") and MAC Chamber cat back (again 2.5" & 3"). Like Rick said, it's a very distinctive sound over the rest. In fact I can hear a Mustang now days and know which exhaust is on there.

Idle with 347 and Prochamber.
http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b187/jpjr50/?action=view&current=CIMG0446.mp4

MAC Prochamber in 3".
3inchprochamber.jpg

Attachments

• 3inchprochamber.jpg
    3inchprochamber.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 76
I also have a Mac Prochamber, but if you are just looking for noise, then a standard non catted H-pipe will probably be the winner.

Kurt

IMO, get whatever name brand is cheapest. I got a Mac X for cheap, so that's what I'm running. Any of them will do what you want, which is flow more. The mufflers are where the biggest difference in sound will be made. :welcome: to :SNSign: by the way!

ok thanks guys, just been trying to decide and just want to get the right one first. ive heard that the off road h pipe is louder than the x at idle and the x is louder than the h at W.O.T. is that true?

ok thanks guys, just been trying to decide and just want to get the right one first. ive heard that the off road h pipe is louder than the x at idle and the x is louder than the h at W.O.T. is that true?

Probably a negligible difference. I don't think you'll notice a difference whatever you get.

Kurt

Only thing I've heard bad about BBK's is that the heat shields and/or the internals to the cats come loose over time. But, no first hand experience with that issue. And, if you are going catless it is not an issue.

I have BBK headers with PYPES catted X-pipe and Violator cat back.
Idle and no load it has a nice quiet rumble.
2k rpm cruising and it has a drone but nothing you couldn't live with.
2k rpm and up and it really wakes up :D
The term "Wicked" has been used by many to describe the sound eminating from my Mustang :D

I can only assume that the catless verion of the PYPES X-pipe would be outragously loud.

BTW I installed my entire exhaust and the PYPES stuff fit with little trouble. Just had to shorten the two pipes from the catback that go between the mufflers and X-pipe connection point.

I've installed a BBK X-pipe. I didn't find anything poor about it. Seemed to go in fine. It always seems to be the Dr. Gas one that does poor on performance reviews because the X is in the wrong location. I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference. Some of the X-pipes don't come assembled, so they have to be welded after fitting which is a hassle.

Kurt

Be aware there is a point where your car doesn't have a sound... it is just loud.

that is what im afraid of with the bbk x pipes. i really want it loud without crossing the line. i just cant really find a exhuast vid on youtube that has a 5.0 mustang with 1 chamber flowmasters and bbk o/r x pipes. so i dont know how raspy it will be. so that is why i was thinking o/r h because it keeps the rasp down but doesnt cut the loudness. dont mind rasp. just dont want it to sound TOO raspy. u know what i mean its hard to explain.

I've installed a BBK X-pipe. I didn't find anything poor about it. Seemed to go in fine. It always seems to be the Dr. Gas one that does poor on performance reviews because the X is in the wrong location. I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference. Some of the X-pipes don't come assembled, so they have to be welded after fitting which is a hassle.

Kurt

just wanted to know what mufflers you have? is it a chambered or straight through design?

I use an ultraflow straight through muffler. My goal is to be as quiet as possible though. I seriously doubt you will notice any real difference between brands. Once you remove the cats its going to be unbelievably loud with those one chambers.