who has a custom overflow tank for the cooling system?

oldfox

Feb 19, 2009
Hi, I have a 91 Mustang and I need to get an overflow tank of some kind on it. Anyone know of a custom tank that fits nice in the fox body?
I'm running a aluminum radiator with electric fans

• Sponsors (?)

Ive used a bunch of different things over the years depending on budget and wear you want to place it. Ive used the nice Moroso Alum expand tanks, plastic and alum or stainless JEGS, JAZ, SUMMIT and CANTON...all easily made into a recirculating tank like stock.

So wear do you want to place it?

The tank is all PVC pipe & plumbing stuff from Home Depot, very inexpensive, but very hardy.

Sammystuff018.jpg

Sammystuff019.jpg

Sammystuff020.jpg

Attachments

• Sammystuff018.jpg
    Sammystuff018.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 2,003
  • Sammystuff019.jpg
    Sammystuff019.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 1,087
  • Sammystuff020.jpg
    Sammystuff020.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 596
The only problem with mounting it down low like that is that it makes it harder for the radiator to "pull" coolant back from the reservoir into the radiator. Makes it easy for pressurized coolant to escape INTO the reservoir but when it cools down it needs to pull some back into the radiator. That's why normally the bottles are mounted closer to the radiator, that is, if it's a true overflow setup as opposed to a pressurized bottle like a lot of newer cars use. If the overflow tank is mounted close, it's much easier for the cooling system to "siphon" coolant back into the radiator as it cools and contracts.

im using a black plastic one from summit in my fender its not the recirculating one. I turned it into one by running the overflow line from rad to bottom instead of top then open bottom valve and leave open then run a line from top down into your fender works great

I'm so cramped for room I had to use two 10" fans the belt on the blower sits to close the the radiator
to use one big fan. I like the looks of the home made one. I'm going to need to get out my tape measure and see what I can use.

see what you think of this. Nothing set in stone yet and it's not screwed down yet, but it fits well. Also this is a used (and discolored) bottle..have a new one to permanently mount to the fan shroud.

Attachments

• photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 1,087