Who makes the best winter tires for ponys?

• Sponsors (?)

The best performance winter tire is the Micheline X-Ice Xi2. This tire is the #1 rated winter performance tire and has won head to head comparisons with all of the other performance Winter tires. I have a set of these for my 2005 Mustang GT. They work extremely well and I have driven/rode in other 05+ GT's that have had other winter tires. With what I have seen and experienced, these X-Ice tires are the ones to have.

I have no quarel with Michelin being a fine tire. I have the Pilot Sport A/S on my car for summer. I consulted with Tire Rack when I got ready for winter tires and found DUNLOP SP WINTER SPORT 3D as good if not better than the Michelin. I bought a set of 4 and was very pleased. First winter tire I ever had that didn't feel like a winter tire on dry roads. Smooth, quiet and handled great. Did very well in snow and ice. I'm sold.

I have no quarel with Michelin being a fine tire. I have the Pilot Sport A/S on my car for summer. I consulted with Tire Rack when I got ready for winter tires and found DUNLOP SP WINTER SPORT 3D as good if not better than the Michelin. I bought a set of 4 and was very pleased. First winter tire I ever had that didn't feel like a winter tire on dry roads. Smooth, quiet and handled great. Did very well in snow and ice. I'm sold.

When I looked this past winter for mine. Tire Racks #1 Performance Winter Tire was and still is the Michelin X-Ice Xi2( I just checked ). On top of that, Canadian Driver Magazine this past winter did a test with a Volvo to find the best Winter tire. The Michelin X-Ice Xi2 dethroned the Bridgestone Blizzak as the best winter tire available. The Dunlop Winter Tire in the test came in 4th behind the Nokian. That is what sold me on the Michelins.

A lot of People I know could not believe how well my GT handled this past Winter. The car was amazing on snow/ice. After taking a friend out for a ride( his car 2008 Bullitt ), he said to me that he bought the wrong winter tires for his Bullitt( Toyo Winter tires ). He was amazed at the snow I could go through and how easily my car moved around on ice compared to his. For example, my car on ice with the Michelins handled better and started( leaving an intersection ), better than the stock Pirelli's handles rain and wet surfaces. That is how good they are.

When I looked this past winter for mine. Tire Racks #1 Performance Winter Tire was and still is the Michelin X-Ice Xi2( I just checked ). On top of that, Canadian Driver Magazine this past winter did a test with a Volvo to find the best Winter tire. The Michelin X-Ice Xi2 dethroned the Bridgestone Blizzak as the best winter tire available. The Dunlop Winter Tire in the test came in 4th behind the Nokian. That is what sold me on the Michelins.

A lot of People I know could not believe how well my GT handled this past Winter. The car was amazing on snow/ice. After taking a friend out for a ride( his car 2008 Bullitt ), he said to me that he bought the wrong winter tires for his Bullitt( Toyo Winter tires ). He was amazed at the snow I could go through and how easily my car moved around on ice compared to his. For example, my car on ice with the Michelins handled better and started( leaving an intersection ), better than the stock Pirelli's handles rain and wet surfaces. That is how good they are.

We're probably splitting hairs here.

The best performance winter tire is the Micheline X-Ice Xi2. This tire is the #1 rated winter performance tire and has won head to head comparisons with all of the other performance Winter tires. I have a set of these for my 2005 Mustang GT. They work extremely well and I have driven/rode in other 05+ GT's that have had other winter tires. With what I have seen and experienced, these X-Ice tires are the ones to have.

I have these tires, and they work well. My other choice was the Dunlop, but I couldn't swing the extra $$. The Michelin in stock tire size (235/55/17) cost almost $700 out the door.

Whatever you decide to get, GET snow tires. All-season tires won't cut it if you live in the snow/rust belt.

The best snows are the ones that meet your price/performance ratio. I got Blizzacks on closeout for $95/tire iirc. They perform well in the snow. I've had Dunlop Wintersport M3's on a previous car and loved them. The extra price over the Blizzacks was too tough a sell on the Mustang.

My advice for snow tires is to go narrow; instead of stock 235/55R17's, I went 225/55R17's. If there were 215/60R17's when I was looking, and at a good price I would have picked those up. Tirerack.com has the x-ice in 215/60R17 on closeout special right now. It's a great time to grab the snow tires, as they are trying to clear out the old stock.

I loved my Blizzaks when the New England weather dropped bombs on us. My nose heavy Mustang was only barely beaten by the Explorer with chains.

Blizzaks give a great performance, even better when you consider what they're going for. I don't doubt that the Michelins may be just as nice, but given what Michelin wants for a tire, it's a hard sell.

Hi All,

I can add some real world experience.

My Winter beater is a 95 v6 mustang, I've used 2 sets of Blizzaks during the years. The WS-50 (now replaced by the WS-60) was an amazing snow/ice tire (gone thru 6+ inches of fresh snow), I replaced them with the Revo1 which I believe is an ice/snow design.

I much preferred the WS-50 for snow traction but the Revo was far better on Ice. I've had to wait at intersections while front wheel drive cars spin there way thru, meanwhile I just mosey along without losing grip. The WS-60 is supposed to be a snow/ice design with better ice traction.

Either tire was far superior than the all seasons I had on this car over the years (Mich X-Ones, Eagle GA's and my favorite Gforce TAs).

I don't drive my 06 GT except once every 10 days or so, I have a set of the original X-Ice on this car. I would go back to the Blizzak over the X-Ice design.....but I would like to compare the WS-60 to the X-Ice 2.

I've run WS-50's and 60's on my 04 GT. My car rocks in the snow. Half of the time I am hanging with Cherokees, but I also believe I'm just that much more aggressive. No ABS nor trac control either.

I used to have the old school snowies on my old G-body - I think they were made by Sears - the one's you can stick ur fist between the treads (14" lol) and can have a 20' rooster tail out back. But now, I priced out a set for my 17" stockers and can only get the modern kind of snow tire design (blizzak, X-ice etc.)the cheapest were $1150 out the door....... goodyear ultragrips. Pi$$ed me rite off!!! I bought a set of used Pirelli 410s 50% tread left for $380. Better than my all-seasons!! sry for the vent

Winter, Snow????? whats that? I run the same tire. Don't they put salt on the roads in snow states? why would you run your Mustang in salt?
I haven't run a Mustang through the snow since my 2003 GT, but many people can only afford one car, or don't want to give up their Mustang during the winter. Yes, they put salt and sand on the road. That's just what you deal with when you live up north. Not everyone can afford another reliable car, just for a few months.

Blizzak has been great for me. Just be sure to get 4 of them so you can steer and stop too.
Blizzak is good choice but i think it is not suitable for my car. I prefers always to Dunlop.
car.jpg

The proper usage of waste rubber by Reclaim Rubber.