Will it pass NYS Emissions?

jaketuff

Apr 29, 2003
Westchester, NY
I am going to be getting my new setup below done this summer.

351W FoMoSpo Crate Motor - 385HP/lbs
Holley Street Avenger Carb
MSD Ignition
STOCK OEM Quad Cats setup

Okay I have 2 concerns.
One, I will need to tune the car into submission IMO to get her to pass, this will be easier with 4 stock cats than a high flow setup.

Two, I will have to leave the ECU on the car and power to accept the datalink that NYS emissions uses. So I will still keep the 02 Sensors alive somehow so the ECU can read those botches.

IMO, it will be normaly be a "dirtier" fuel situation, but with tuning it can actually be VERY clean, just not ideal for driving. I would have to lean the sucker at the test. Also, the motor is not cammed agressively, it is set for the street. The di on the motor is not major over the 302, so the stock cats should not be overwhelmed - especially since I passed emissions this year (tested every year!) with flying colors - car emitted like 15% = 85% under the limits.

Any opinions??????????????????????

Thx for reading!

OUT

• Sponsors (?)

cevtv said:
Technically, by switching to a carb, you won't pass. The EFI is considered emissions equipment.

True... but we can get around that issue. Emissions wise it will pass, don't you think?

I can change the visual of the carb, fabbing something to confuse the mechanics testing it won't be hard.

Out

Unless the technician is blind and hand-less, I don't know how you'd pass a visual - but I don't think it'll pass the sniffer either. However, you seem to want us to confirm what you hope happens - so good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Cant you just go into a "friendly shop" and buy a sticker for 14$? I left NY in Oct 01 and they stopped sniffing and just did visual under the car. Alot would just say they did and charge you 14$ just because its a state mandated pain in the ass

Michael Yount said:
I was trying to answer the question "Will it pass NYS emissions?" Matt, you're asking/answering the question "Can you get a sticker?" -- two different questions, two different answers.

NYS-Weschester County requires the dyno run and sniffer, plus a visual. I can get around the visual easily enough as far as EFI. That is not out of my way. What is would be tuning the car to run lean enough to pass. Also they datalink to the ECU port. Westchester is similar to CA Emissions.

What makes you guys think that the carb is so filthy??? The 5.o/EFI passed so well as mentioned aboe, I would think I have a shot.

Any carbed guys with ideas out there???

thx all
JOUT

Now I'm intrigued - tell us how you'll fool the visual on the efi to carb swap. I didn't say anything about the carb being filthy. I said I didn't think you could make a 351 with a carb pass the specs for an efi 302. You asked for our opinions - you've got mine.

Michael Yount said:
Now I'm intrigued - tell us how you'll fool the visual on the efi to carb swap. I didn't say anything about the carb being filthy. I said I didn't think you could make a 351 with a carb pass the specs for an efi 302. You asked for our opinions - you've got mine.

Oh, I hear you now. The EFI is something that I can get by with visually, bacause that is the least inspected. They must have a camera verifying that there are cats, they don't actually zoom into the motor to see there are injectors and ****. So I can fab an emissions air box to throw over the carb if need be... and pass that visual. I like making **** like that, outta metal sheets. It will be a box essentially over the carb.

To pass for 302 spec... I don't know if the limits involved are car specific/motor specific. I don't think they are. I am confident I can pass, below the limits that the 5.0 has passed under, the 5.0 passed with barely any emissions at all.

JT

Cover the carb to look like EFI????? Ummmm, ok.................... good luck, unless they are total retards doing the visual......... :banana:

If you are so sure it will pass, and don't want to listen to what we are telling you, why did you bother asking?? :shrug:

Oh, and by the way.... when they run the dyno test, they have to put your VIN into the computer..........It KNOWS what the motor is supposed to be..........

cevtv said:
Cover the carb to look like EFI????? Ummmm, ok.................... good luck, unless they are total retards doing the visual......... :banana:

If you are so sure it will pass, and don't want to listen to what we are telling you, why did you bother asking?? :shrug:

Oh, and by the way.... when they run the dyno test, they have to put your VIN into the computer..........It KNOWS what the motor is supposed to be..........

You are not following me here.... They want to pass the cars if you work with them, they just gotta go thru the motions to get the car past the sniffer. The major penalty is around the cats. They can't test anything without them. The shops are not total nazis.

Eg. - I got the sticker for emissions/safety with a broken seat belt, seat bracket, ebrake (AOD) and shot rotors and pads. The headers were also leaking noticeably.

The vin is fine, the ECM will still be onboard and powered up. It will still acknowledge the datalink, but will not give any readout. All they do with the datalink is download make, model etc. They don't inspect any A:F, injector pulse or anything else.

So they are looking the other way on as much as they can, b/c they make very LITTLE off emissions. They want you to repair shi+ at their shops.

You are not following me here.... They want to pass the cars if you work with them, they just gotta go thru the motions to get the car past the sniffer. The major penalty is around the cats. They can't test anything without them. The shops are not total nazis.

Eg. - I got the sticker for emissions/safety with a broken seat belt, seat bracket, ebrake (AOD) and shot rotors and pads. The headers were also leaking noticeably.

The vin is fine, the ECM will still be onboard and powered up. It will still acknowledge the datalink, but will not give any readout. All they do with the datalink is download make, model etc. They don't inspect any A:F, injector pulse or anything else.

So they are looking the other way on as much as they can, b/c they make very LITTLE off emissions. They want you to repair shi+ at their shops.

:bang: Whatever................you are dead set on it anyway - doesn't matter what anybody says.................. :crazy:

cevtv said:
:bang: Whatever................you are dead set on it anyway - doesn't matter what anybody says.................. :crazy:

Heh heh.... I suppose. I thank you for the argument. It helps me to think everything thru!!! But I have thought about it for some time now.

The testing is not a scam really, it is focused 99% on emissions. The rest of the test is done and you get a pass or fail (safety) by the "inspector." Emissions is a computer, so you can't convince it of anything obviously.

Guys, thanks for your words.

OUT

Jaketuff said "They want to pass the cars if you work with them"
"they just gotta go thru the motions..."
"The major penalty is around the cats"
"The shops are not total nazis."

"Eg. - I got the sticker for emissions/safety with a broken seat belt, seat bracket, ebrake (AOD) and shot rotors and pads. The headers were also leaking noticeably."

"the ECM will still be onboard and powered up. It will still acknowledge the datalink, but will not give any readout"
"They don't inspect any A:F, injector pulse or anything else"

"So they are looking the other way on as much as they can,"

Then you said "The testing is not a scam really"

Sorry - but your statements simply aren't aligned.

jaketuff said:
Heh heh.... I suppose. I thank you for the argument. It helps me to think everything thru!!! But I have thought about it for some time now.

The testing is not a scam really, it is focused 99% on emissions. The rest of the test is done and you get a pass or fail (safety) by the "inspector." Emissions is a computer, so you can't convince it of anything obviously.

Guys, thanks for your words.

OUT

Good luck........ Let us know what happens.........

jaketuff said:
= They must have a camera verifying that there are cats, they don't actually zoom into the motor to see there are injectors and ****.
JT

The only place the camera looks is at the whole car from a corner. It doesnt check for any equipment. They will not hook up to your computer. Only the OBD crap, which foxes dont have. (least i think so.) According to my inspection sticker, i have a efficiency of a 4 banger grocery getter. :D

All in all, this is nothing that Mr Grant cant fix ;)