Will these starters work with our smaller flywheels?

• Sponsors (?)

Does anybody know? I don't know if this sounds like a stupid question, but I don't know if they will work with the II flywheels. I don't want the grinding squeeling noise, but I do like the space saving, and the more torque. Thanks

I know that there are a few II owners on this board that use the pmgr starter.

I don't know for sure if this particular starter will work with the 141 tooth flex due to the automatic and manual transmission starters using different noses.

I have one of these starters but never figured out how to wire it up yet.

mustang2 said:
Does anybody know? I don't know if this sounds like a stupid question, but I don't know if they will work with the II flywheels. I don't want the grinding squeeling noise, but I do like the space saving, and the more torque. Thanks

In a word He!! yeah I have one love it no more squeal, more oil pan clearance, I even modified my hedders to run past the starter now ----sweet.

I have the auto not sure the difference between the two.

If it is patterned after the "lester 3205" you're good to go. Do some searching on the internet you will find them all over even a cheaper 39.00 I guess standard not heavy duty

ledz here is a digram of how I was told to wire mine when I bought it over a year ago It works just fine

Attachments

• wiring diagram.GIF
    wiring diagram.GIF
    3.9 KB · Views: 152
I've had one on my Ghia for over a year now (manual tranny) without any problem whatsoever. Went through 7 regular starters in the year or so before that.

As to flywheel ringgears: manual tranny = 148 tooth, automatic = 141 tooth.

zwhitr, thanks for the wiring diagram for the pmgr's.

Not having any problems with my current starter but just may replace it anyway since I have the wiring setup. It's only a few bolts.