Will this intake be alright, or will my car not even run?

Nickerz

Sep 12, 2003
I have an 88 speed density car with some idle problems. I want to just replace the whole SD system with a mass air setup and I figure while im at it midas well do the intake. I eventually want to settle on a Trickflow 90mm R. Yes I know, it's like a bagillion times way too big. But really, am I going to lose any power? It's gonna have new heads and a cam in a year anyways, I just don't want to hunt around for a GT40 setup only to have to rip it off and resell it next year.

• Sponsors (?)

no it will be ridiculously too big. I cant even think of an N/A setup that would require such massive airflow. 65 is right on the money for a stock to mild, 70mm to 75mm for HCI N20 applications depending on your intake opening and anything bigger is overkill unless your running FI.

no it will be ridiculously too big. I cant even think of an N/A setup that would require such massive airflow. 65 is right on the money for a stock to mild, 70mm to 75mm for HCI N20 applications depending on your intake opening and anything bigger is overkill unless your running FI.

Very good advice.

An Explorer/GT40 manifold will work nicely with your SD engine and not require a Mass Air conversion. Make the right choice at the junkyard and you can get a 65 MM TB with the Explorer manifold.

See "Surging Idle Checklist for help with all your idle problems. The first two posts contain all the updates to the fixes. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions.

Also, please don't tell us that your going to have Midas install the intake. They are ludicrously expensive for anything but basic repair jobs (ie. brakes, oil changes).

When I first bought my 5.0 the factory mufflers had rusted through. The car was stone stock and I had no aspirations yet of modifying it. I asked Midas what they would charge just to replace the flow tubes, mufflers, and tail pipes and they said no less than $800-900. That was for a stock replacement catback: aluminized tubing and generic Midas brand mufflers.

I summarily raised my eyebrows and said kma, and instead am now running a $450 Stainless Steel Magnaflow catback that I installed in my driveway.

Save yourself a ton of dough, do the intake swap yourself.