yes, another tire? 235's vs 225 for pony rim

Jun 17, 2004
mesa, az
i searched the tire threads, and found alot of very good info.
i learned that while many guys use 245"s on the stock pony rims, that it really doesn't help performance and may hinder it in some cases.
ok evenetually i'll be needing new tires, i want the car to handle as well as possible, and many have said the 225's work for this, but they make 235's as well, and i have not seen much commented on if these are as good or if i should stick with the 225's to be on the safe side.
which ever tire i choose i will most likely be running the same size front and rear.
also, i noticed while tire surfing, depending on the manufacturer some tires are slightly taller, like 25.7 vs some that are 26.1, etc.....is their a tire heigh maximum that will work on the front and rear?? i assume as long as it's in this range it will be just fine so long as it's a 225, 235, and a 50 or 55 series.......it's running 225' 55 16's now, and i don't believe the cars been lowered

• Sponsors (?)

Too me it depends on the tire I can get in each size. Assuming the other tire specs are identical a 235 is only 10mm wider than a 225. So say you can get a BFG KD tire in the 225 but only a BFG g-force sport in the 235... well I would go with the KD tire because it's stickier.

Shop around... read reviews and spend hours on Tirerack before you buy.

keep the tread as the same distance the width as the rim it self. you'll be hurting yourself in the long run, just dont have huge truck tires on it....lol....try to get em down to 40's

jammer84_03 said:
keep the tread as the same distance the width as the rim it self. you'll be hurting yourself in the long run, just dont have huge truck tires on it....lol....try to get em down to 40's
isnt the lowest the have in 225's and 235's the 50's???:shrug: The 245's go down to 45.

i run 225/50/16 on the front and 245/50/16 on the back. I did not effect anythink but hookin a lil better.

yeah i know 245's will work but, there's that whole cross sectional tread/side wall/rim width thing, and it makes sense to me, i know the 225's are what it was designed for i just wondered if the 235's would be a good compromise between the 2...i want this thing to be able to negotiate a corner and not worry about my side walls getting lazy.....

Tire reading is easy:

Example of 225/60/R15 (my tires)

225 = width in milimeters [25.4mm = 1"]
60 = 60% of 225 for the height (sidewall) or 140.xx mm of sidewall
R15 = obviously means it's a radial with a 15" diameter

Therefore my tire is 8.8" wide, 5.5" of sidewall on a 15" diameter rim. All added up 25.5" overall diamter @ 8.8" wide.

Falken 245/50/16's all around on my ponies. Fit was great cause they were only slightly wider than my stock 225's. Falken's run small.

$72 a piece from discounttiredirect.com, great looking and performing tire for the price!!! $284 shipped for 4 tires to my house!! Can't beat that!

I run 225/55/16 Kumho Ecsta ASX

KUM-ECSTAASX.jpg

Haven't had a problem with them.

I run 225 omni directional for rotating ease.

another vote for falkens...i put them on my old mazda protege because the stock bridgestones were crappy in the snow. the falkens gave me GREAT dry and wet weather performance...Mine were the Falken ZE512's i think, or something close to that...When i do the rubbers on my mustang next year i'll be looking into falkens.