14point7 Spartan 2 install, Holley 4150 tuning, & exhaustcapades

• Sponsors (?)

As I said in the BS thread, here is my thread on installing the A/F setup and gauge to try and tune my carburetor. As many of you know, I swapped manifolds a while back and replaced the Offenhauser 360 with a cheap Edelbrock Performer RPM Airgap knockoff a couple years ago and during that process I took the carburetor back to off the shelf specs. I didn't do much to it after that, hell I've hardly driven the car! I've been too preoccupied with other things in life, but now things are starting to fall into place (other than this COVID-19 mess we're going through right now....) and I'd really like to get my car back into shape. As I posted late last year I took it to a show that offered Dyno pulls and I decided to give it a shot. And, as you could see in the video I took, it's running EXTREMELY rich. I changed the oil a few days ago and as you'd expect it was somewhat diluted with fuel. So, on a whim, I decided to jet the primaries AND secondaries down substantially. I also installed a new Autogage tach at the same time, so I started the car just to confirm the tach works, and that's as far as I've gone. Oh, and a couple years ago when I took the carb apart I took a vacuum reading and installed a more appropriate power valve, but I now question if THAT'S part of the problem, so I'll be going through that process with all of this too.

Here is a pic of the gauge, O2 sensor, wiring, and instructions that were sent as well as my vacuum gauge. And who doesn't listen to tunes while they're working on their car?!?! Gotta have THAT!!! :D

IMG_20200422_110647.jpg

Ok, it's time to go get things done! I'll update later.....
I have been considering getting a A/F ratio meter at some point to help get my carb tuning perfect. So after three years now, is yours still working well and would you still choose the same one? I'm not sure if a digital or needle would be easier to read, so I'm just checking things out at this point.

Reactions: 1 user
I have been considering getting a A/F ratio meter at some point to help get my carb tuning perfect. So after three years now, is yours still working well and would you still choose the same one? I'm not sure if a digital or needle would be easier to read, so I'm just checking things out at this point.

It still works well and I'd probably go with them again. They seem to have a strong following and they were recommended by another Stangnet member, although I don't remember who.

The gauge I got from them is digital and jumps around a little. I think a needle would probably be a little more appropriate for a carbed application but I'm not sure - it may just be a preferential thing. But I also think that their system will work with most any gauge, so you might be able to find one that you like and use their controller if you chose to. :shrug: Here's a link to it of you're interested. It looks like they're down due to illness - hope they're ok.....

I've still not gotten my carb nailed down quite right, then again I only tinker with it every once in a while. But I think there's a point where you just call it good enough and live with it. I think I reached that point a while back but kept messing with it to the point of frustration. When I finally get back at it I'll be searching for that point again....

You will discover in short order how difficult it can be to find a [nice] analog AFR gauge. There seem to be a few more available now but man... There was really only one manufacturer worth a damn (20 years ago) and they don't make them anymore.

My only suggestion here is to ensure you get an AFR meter with 5V output for a gauge. From there, you just have to hunt for the one you like. In other words: Don't buy an AFR meter for the display. Buy one for the outputs.

I was going to leave you a link for Kenne Bell gauges but... :oops:

It appears they don't make them anymore either. :(

Find the AFR gauge you like then buy your other gauges from the same company. :D

It still works well and I'd probably go with them again. They seem to have a strong following and they were recommended by another Stangnet member, although I don't remember who.

The gauge I got from them is digital and jumps around a little. I think a needle would probably be a little more appropriate for a carbed application but I'm not sure - it may just be a preferential thing. But I also think that their system will work with most any gauge, so you might be able to find one that you like and use their controller if you chose to. :shrug: Here's a link to it of you're interested. It looks like they're down due to illness - hope they're ok.....

I've still not gotten my carb nailed down quite right, then again I only tinker with it every once in a while. But I think there's a point where you just call it good enough and live with it. I think I reached that point a while back but kept messing with it to the point of frustration. When I finally get back at it I'll be searching for that point again....
Thanks for the update. I have looked at many, reading reviews and you don't know which to pick. Auto Meter have always to seem to make quality stuff but I don't know.

My only suggestion here is to ensure you get an AFR meter with 5V output for a gauge. From there, you just have to hunt for the one you like. In other words: Don't buy an AFR meter for the display. Buy one for the outputs.
Thank you. I'll be looking for the 5v output but hope that info is easily available when searching.

Thanks for the update. I have looked at many, reading reviews and you don't know which to pick. Auto Meter have always to seem to make quality stuff but I don't know.

Thank you. I'll be looking for the 5v output but hope that info is easily available when searching.

I've merged this thread into another here. Here is the last time I messed with the car so you can see the gauge in action.

Finally uploaded the last video from the drive after taking the jets back to original size.

View: https://youtu.be/x_Fvs03QfCg

I've merged this thread into another here. Here is the last time I messed with the car so you can see the gauge in action.
Interesting video. It sure idles lean 19.9 if I could read it right but don't look bad during normal driving. Does it stay about the same at WOT? How did you mount your camera? I would love to video my gauges while driving.

Interesting video. It sure idles lean 19.9 if I could read it right but don't look bad during normal driving. Does it stay about the same at WOT? How did you mount your camera? I would love to video my gauges while driving.

I honestly don't remember what it's doing at WOT right now, but that's part of the reason for the videos. That and so I can see what's happening at times like WOT when I can't look at the gauge. I adjusted the idle according to my vacuum gauge but I noticed the readings at idle too. All I remember right now is that it wasn't running right at all and I'm not exactly sure what I did other than swap the jets back to the sizes they were when it was a new carb so I could start the process all over again. Long story short, it'll probably be some time before I get back at it again. :(

As far as camera mounting went, I have an Amazon GoPro knock off that I used a suction cup mount. I mounted it to the ceiling/underside of the roof since I don't have a headliner in my car yet.

Well that don't help. :) But it is the perfect view.

One option would be to mount it to the hatch glass, but you might have a hell of a time getting it to zoom to the gauges that way, depending on where you mount them. You could also mount it to the quarter glass - that's how I tried mounting my phone before I got this camera. If you watch this one til the end you'll see the problems I had with that.... :rlaugh:

View: https://youtu.be/QcVAIwEvJNw?si=byq4OGHQPgXP3DXf

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users
One option would be to mount it to the hatch glass, but you might have a hell of a time getting it to zoom to the gauges that way, depending on where you mount them. You could also mount it to the quarter glass - that's how I tried mounting my phone before I got this camera. If you watch this one til the end you'll see the problems I had with that.... :rlaugh:

View: https://youtu.be/QcVAIwEvJNw?si=byq4OGHQPgXP3DXf

I see your red brake dash light is on. A couple of weeks ago I was using my line lock as a hill holder as I waited for a red light and the warning light didn't go off. Usually it will come on with the LL and when you tap the brakes, it goes off. There is a switch inline with the brake lines coming off the master and it must be stuck. I messed with it a while and just unplugged it. The warning light still comes on with the E-brake.

Reactions: 1 users
I went and bought myself a Christmas present a few minutes ago.....

Screenshot_20231209_133747_Gmail.jpg

I'll have to acquire a few more parts to have a complete system, but this was the most costly part of it all. There aren't a lot of reviews to go from yet, but the stuff I've seen has been mostly positive. Hopefully I'll have a good experience with it when I jump into installing everything..... :cross:

Most of the rest of the shopping list is already in my Summit wishlist. Having used a Fox fuel tank will be extremely helpful for this!! :nice:

Screenshot_20231209_134820_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231209_134829_Chrome.jpg

I went and bought myself a Christmas present a few minutes ago.....

Screenshot_20231209_133747_Gmail.jpg

I'll have to acquire a few more parts to have a complete system, but this was the most costly part of it all. There aren't a lot of reviews to go from yet, but the stuff I've seen has been mostly positive. Hopefully I'll have a good experience with it when I jump into installing everything..... :cross:

Most of the rest of the shopping list is already in my Summit wishlist. Having used a Fox fuel tank will be extremely helpful for this!! :nice:

Screenshot_20231209_134820_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231209_134829_Chrome.jpg
Are you building a rocket ship to Mars? :scratch: