• Sponsors (?)

If you have performance shops do all the work you’ll see that $15k vanish quickly. 550whp doesn’t come cheap even if you’re doing it yourself, yet alone if you pay a shop.

If I were going the cheaper route I would get a 351w block and put a good set of heads and intake on it as well as a turbo kit. On3 makes a pretty solid turbo. Then you’ll need a cam to match the other components. After upgrading your fuel system, and some minor cooling system upgrades(radiator, sn’s have decent factory fan), as well as a machined block and possibly rotating assembly you’ll be in the $11,000+ range. Then a trans and clutch to hold all the power will set you back another $3000-$3500.

You can find components used if you want to chance it. You can also find people selling their used setups, but it doesn’t seem like you really know enough to make an educated decision on used parts. No offense on that, we all have to start somewhere.

Just throw a turbo, heads, intake, and cam on your stock block and call it a day.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I managed to catch it. I even placed your thread in the correct forum.

Wanted to ensure you knew that they made them for more than one year. :O_o:

Oh and... Mustang site? News to me. I been here nearly 20 years waiting for my turn to get a free pair of BlueBlocker sunglasses. Some dude by the name of Raburn gave me a bunch of keys, told me to wait right here and watch over the place and that he'd be right back with my free BlueBlocker sunglasses. That was 2001. :nonono:

I'm starting to think he might not be returning :scratch:

Has anyone else gotten their BlueBlocker sunglasses? Are you all here for the same thing?
Wait........sunglasses?.........Seriously, when do i get mine?

If you have performance shops do all the work you’ll see that $15k vanish quickly. 550whp doesn’t come cheap even if you’re doing it yourself, yet alone if you pay a shop.

If I were going the cheaper route I would get a 351w block and put a good set of heads and intake on it as well as a turbo kit. On3 makes a pretty solid turbo. Then you’ll need a cam to match the other components. After upgrading your fuel system, and some minor cooling system upgrades(radiator, sn’s have decent factory fan), as well as a machined block and possibly rotating assembly you’ll be in the $11,000+ range. Then a trans and clutch to hold all the power will set you back another $3000-$3500.

You can find components used if you want to chance it. You can also find people selling their used setups, but it doesn’t seem like you really know enough to make an educated decision on used parts. No offense on that, we all have to start somewhere.

Just throw a turbo, heads, intake, and cam on your stock block and call it a day.
Okay thanks for the advice I just have a question, So you’re saying the whole build should cost me 14,500 if I do it myself or if I get someone else to do it?

I don't think you'll have an easy time of getting it down to that kind of weight — even the Cobra Rs in '95 were considerably heavier with the rear seat removed, no power driver seat and no A/C. That kind of weight is much more in the wheelhouse of '87-'93 notches.

I know it’s doable to get a sn to around 2800 lbs but I wouldn’t call it practical. Shooting for around 3000 without driver is more realistic, but will still take some work to do.

Never mind I reread it and got it thanks for the advice how long do you think my stock block will hold with that much hp

You should be good for 400-450whp for several years without issues - assuming the tune is good and the engine was in good shape before. You’ll have issues with your transmission long before the bottom end.

The problem with asking for advice that spans a topic this wide, is that you have to be able to discern what is, and what isn't bullsht.
Its one thing when you ask a simple question...i.e. You want advice on choosing a cam/intake/head. Because of the narrow scope and limited choices, you'll come up with a popular consensus to draw from. It's a totally different animal when you ask a group how to spend 15k, and at the same time try to get a car to race weight. It's like asking for a color choice on paint.
I personally prefer Orange....I think you should paint your car Orange.

For every dollar in the budget, there'll be a different opinion, a lot will be good opinions, but a similar amount are pure bullsht.

You have to have several things in place to do something like you're talking about.
You have to be capable of doing the work. All of the good intentions in the world will not make you a capable engine builder/ a chassis builder-fabricator/electronics-wiring tech/welder/painter...etc..etc..Experience does. Biting off an entire forced induction big power build has brought more than one guy here to a bail out point.

You have to have the tools to do it.

You have to have the place to do it.

You have to have to have time.
And....
You need to invest in a bullsht-o-meter, so you can discern what is crap advice from the FB mechanic of the hour.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I know it’s doable to get a sn to around 2800 lbs but I wouldn’t call it practical. Shooting for around 3000 without driver is more realistic, but will still take some work to do.

You should be good for 400-450whp for several years without issues - assuming the tune is good and the engine was in good shape before. You’ll have issues with your transmission long before the bottom end.
Thanks for the help

The problem with asking for advice that spans a topic this wide, is that you have to be able to discern what is, and what isn't bullsht.
Its one thing when you ask a simple question...i.e. You want advice on choosing a cam/intake/head. Because of the narrow scope and limited choices, you'll come up with a popular consensus to draw from. It's a totally different animal when you ask a group how to spend 15k, and at the same time try to get a car to race weight. It's like asking for a color choice on paint.
I personally prefer Orange....I think you should paint your car Orange.

For every dollar in the budget, there'll be a different opinion, a lot will be good opinions, but a similar amount are pure bullsht.

You have to have several things in place to do something like you're talking about.
You have to be capable of doing the work. All of the good intentions in the world will not make you a capable engine builder/ a chassis builder-fabricator/electronics-wiring tech/welder/painter...etc..etc..Experience does. Biting off an entire forced induction big power build has brought more than one guy here to a bail out point.

You have to have the tools to do it.

You have to have the place to do it.

You have to have to have time.
And....
You need to invest in a bullsht-o-meter, so you can discern what is crap advice from the FB mechanic of the hour.
I guess I’m asking is having any of you built this car and if so what worked for you

I guess I’m asking is having any of you built this car and if so what worked for you
Again, several of us have built complete cars.
Despite that, what worked for me will definitely not work for you.

There are plenty of guys that have similar builds that you can take guidance from..I guess if you want a path to follow, sooner or later you'll find it.

From looking at your profile, I see that you're 20. My guess is that based on my list of must haves you don't have much experience in any of the stuff I said you need.
So I'll offer you this advice as my only input.
Unless you already have a car, I'd buy some bodies else's sweat equity. If you truly have 15k to spend, the fox you can buy for that much money couldn't be duplicated for almost twice that if you do it yourself.

I have 15k+ in my car. In addition to that, there is custom labor that would easily be double that much if I had to pay somebody to build it for me,....so,..a car potentially worth 45 k.......that I would struggle to sell for a third of that.

A heavily modified fox mustang is typical of the same poor return on investment,..so bottom line...there's a gold mine out there just waiting to be found, and all you have to do is go find it. It's also the best car to change stuff on if you just have to do that, so in effect, a good place to learn. But not necessary.

If you do have an SN 95 car, and you still plan to modify that yourself, be Leary of the fact that they are not as popular,..and a big investment in your part in one of those cars will do even worse if/when you decide to sell...so think about that.

Reactions: 1 users
If I was 20 again with $15K, i'd put it in the stock market and sit on it.

Modding my fox has been a giant waste of money, but I've enjoyed every bit of it. However...if I could go back and do it all over again...I would have left it 100% stock, tossed the money in the market, and been cashing out now to go buy a Gt350 or Gt500 outright and push the start button and drive.