1980 Coupe - Turbo AWD v8 Swap

• Sponsors (?)

IMG_20190323_130508.jpg

Ok, I've made some progress and here is a quick update.

After a couple months of cad and test cuts I committed to cutting out the flanges I needed. In the end I botched a revision somewhere along the way of working between my desktop computer and the laptop I was running the program from but it worked out to about a MM of mismatch in the ports. A little touchup with a bearing bit on the router and ta-da, I've got a port matched upper-lower

Stay tuned for some aluminum mig welding (no spool guns here) and diy-charm fit-ups.

Reactions: 4 users
hot-glued my intake together. Made some forms to keep the shape of the plenum correct for the sides and top (which i seem to have neglected to take a good pic of).
a.jpg

the plenum all tacked together. The top has a giant access panel to get to the bolts to bolt the two together.
b.jpg

A little more hot glue and here we go!
c.jpg

The "bad" news is I have to tweak my accessories layout to accommodate the flapper motor but I can live with that. Now that this is done I can drop everything out, baffle the oil pan, finish the trans tunnel and bolt it all back together for good (till something breaks?). My new kit MS3x should be waiting for me when I get home today.

Reactions: 4 users
Sweet! have you tuned with MS before??
I have not, I have also never tuned before haha. My plan is get it running sans boost and then work in boost and keep AFR's happy. I need to go reread the EDIS 8 documentation they've got as well as order a wideband O2 sensor. Any recommendations on widebands?

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=52488
this is an option whatever you choose please be sure there is some kind of failsafe involved.... I would hate to see you get hurt.

I suggest trying the DBW pedal from a 7.3 or 6.0 ford they can be used to control the TB and feed the signal to the MS.
Looks like this is an option:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hjI74OJUH0

While I haven't tuned before I am a software developer so I know I could do this.

Reactions: 1 user
Sweet! you would really like one of the DD-EFI dashes @stanglx2002 created I have one in my car and its awesome.

I wouldnt mind helping with the project if you need it, I hang out in the digital tuning forum and i specialize in MS systems so feel free to ask anything.

Sweet! you would really like one of the DD-EFI dashes @stanglx2002 created I have one in my car and its awesome.

I wouldnt mind helping with the project if you need it, I hang out in the digital tuning forum and i specialize in MS systems so feel free to ask anything.
Thanks! I'll have to check out the dashes, I know I want something digital

I've got my ECU almost all together, and have started building the wiring harnesses. I soldered on the wires for both db37 plugs and then started running them to this bulkhead connector I yanked from the explorer. I've got 40 positions per plug to work with and three plugs. I'll aim to use two for ECU/sensors/fans and the third for body wiring.
IMG_20190407_221038.jpg

Ok small update on the DBW stuff, the MS3 does support DBW but only over canbus to a controller that interfaces with the DBW throttle body.
I figured as much with the lack of an IACV on the TB. I'll have to dig up what needs to be read and communicated for the controller.

Reactions: 1 user