1980 Coupe - Turbo AWD v8 Swap

• Sponsors (?)

I see how that's confusing. I meant it as a testament to him having a clue as to what's he's doing (even knowing he keeps blasting rods out of his latest project). I've known from the get go 500 is doable but iffy
Ok,..you do you. Im Just glad that you cut that hole in a Chinee turbine housing as opposed to an American version.
My teeth would hurt if you had drilled a precision, garret, or turbonetics housing instead.

Reactions: 1 user
img_20190926_183513-jpg.jpg

Technically neither and technically both. The UPS man brought me this ebay purchase (New).
that was my guess! Do I win?

Reactions: 1 user
IMG_20191007_192834.jpg

I got my 710 cap installed finally. The explorer had about 6 inches of pipe clamped on to the valve cover to get this up for access so I chopped it and joined the threaded end to the valve cover. fits like a glove and just misses my coils.

Before that was done I had to fit plug wires so I could adjust my downpipe to not melt my plug wires and so I could plumb the wastegate recirc. I made a double slip fitting for the wastegate to have some room to move but am prepared to swap it for a bellows flex joint if need be. After that was positioned I added in an 02/wideband bung that despite my optical illusion of a picture lands between the 2&3 cylinder ignition coils (and sits at about 2 o'clock).

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 3 users
I've been working mainly on engine wiring, mounting sensors and cutting a hole for my bulkhead connectors. Here is a 40 pin connector salvaged from the donor explorer, it had three of these in a group. Currently I've used only 37 pins for the engine wiring.
IMG_20191029_221745.jpg

Before I run my wires I want to get the clutch pedal figured out. The transmission I've got has a hydraulic throwout bearing/slave cylinder, I am using factory parts to remove the guess work (well most of it anyways). I went ahead and paired the stock slave cylinder with a stock master cylinder.

Next I did some math on how much the plunger moves vs how much the pedal sweeps. With an idea of how much swing I need I looked at where I could get that from. A little cutting here and a little cutting there and I wound up south of the stock hole on the firewall for the clutch cable (well for a 80 that is, no clutch quadrant here!).

I've got a new arm made that gives the right swing for the master cylinder and it uses the square key hole of old arm to lock onto the shaft. I've only sandwiched the new arm on to test the functionality but the travel is free of binding and the swing is what I wanted.

IMG_20191029_212633.jpg

eb side.jpg

Here's a short shot of it in action.

I'm unsure if the pedal box actually needs any metal added back in, lemme know what you think. There really wasn't that much cut from it but I'm open to input on it.

Reactions: 2 users
IMG_20191007_192834.jpg

I got my 710 cap installed finally. The explorer had about 6 inches of pipe clamped on to the valve cover to get this up for access so I chopped it and joined the threaded end to the valve cover. fits like a glove and just misses my coils.

Before that was done I had to fit plug wires so I could adjust my downpipe to not melt my plug wires and so I could plumb the wastegate recirc. I made a double slip fitting for the wastegate to have some room to move but am prepared to swap it for a bellows flex joint if need be. After that was positioned I added in an 02/wideband bung that despite my optical illusion of a picture lands between the 2&3 cylinder ignition coils (and sits at about 2 o'clock).
The picture makes it also look like there is no room for an air filter of any kind..what’s gonna happen there?

Looking good! Did you figure out your pins on the ecu?
I believe so, I still need to slice in the power and resistors like we talked about.

Looking really good. I'd love to come see it once it's running. I'm not too far away, I think? IIRC youre in Bryan and I'm in Magnolia
I am, but funny enough I grew up in Magnolia! You near new or old Magnolia?

The picture makes it also look like there is no room for an air filter of any kind..what’s gonna happen there?
IMG_20191031_180312.jpg

This has an inverted cone end, we'll see how it performs.

I got my clutch line in yesterday, turns out the t56's in 98-02 camaros use the same fittings as what I needed, got an damaged box special on amazon, 20 bucks for a flex clutch line

IMG_20191031_175508 (1).jpg

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 users
If there's a chrome metal button on the inside you may want to secure that cap. I have the same one I think. Doing research found that heat made the adhesive fail that held that cap on. Caused damage to a few peoples turbos.

If there's a chrome metal button on the inside you may want to secure that cap. I have the same one I think. Doing research found that heat made the adhesive fail that held that cap on. Caused damage to a few peoples turbos.
I'll check here in a bit, that's an odd place for a bit of bling

EDIT
@90sickfox I just checked and I see what you're saying. Do you have a method to secure it in mind?

Last edited:
On mine I drilled a hole through the center and put a bolt through it and a piece of flat stock. I used red loctite on the threads.

Screenshot_20191102-090048_Chrome.jpg