Progress Thread 1985 Gt I Finally Have A T Top Car.

Oh so it seems LMR is selling Ford speedo gears
IMG_1946.jpg
IMG_1946.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I put the 98 Cobras on my 93 for winter and picked up some cheap 16" rollers from a 98GT. I like them and do think I will be buying new tires for them come spring. Currently has 225/55r16 up front and 245/50r16 in the rears I think I want 245s all the way around.

I also found the build sheet today. fullsizeoutput_294.jpeg fullsizeoutput_295.jpeg fullsizeoutput_296.jpeg fullsizeoutput_297.jpeg IMG_2151.JPG
fullsizeoutput_294.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_295.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_296.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_297.jpeg
IMG_2151.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
I put the 98 Cobras on my 93 for winter and picked up some cheap 16" rollers from a 98GT. I like them and do think I will be buying new tires for them come spring. Currently has 225/55r16 up front and 245/50r16 in the rears I think I want 245s all the way around.

I also found the build sheet today. fullsizeoutput_294.jpeg fullsizeoutput_295.jpeg fullsizeoutput_296.jpeg fullsizeoutput_297.jpeg IMG_2151.JPG
fullsizeoutput_294.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_295.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_296.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_297.jpeg
IMG_2151.JPG
What year is this car?

Lets talk winter projects for a moment.

My mod budget has shrunk because of the new motorcycle and lift purchase so most likely will be doing non performance upgrades.

The AC is complete but it does not blow cold, I want to replace it all and I see LMR has a kit for that , not cheap but this car must keep AC. Does anyone have other suggestions for kits?

The heater core was bypassed when I got the car so I assume I will need to pull the dash to do a heater core replacement,I have not done this before and I can say I am not looking forward to it. Is there a preferred heater core to use? I don't want to do this again.

Lastly I have to do the Cobra booster, in my opinion the stock booster is no where near enough for the 99GT brake set up I have on the car, I cannot lock up the brakes and this is not acceptable to me.

I thought the 4-eye cars can go through the glovebox to do heater core?

And yes, I would do the Cobra booster. It's 2x the assist of the fox booster and the brake system was designed with this in mind.

As for ac...have you tossed pressure guages on to see where you are at?

Pulling the dash is not that bad. I read all the "horror story" posts about it and was a little scared to tackle mine. Once I did it I realized its nothing more than some nuts and bolts. I literally had the dash out in under an hour. There are some good videos online that can guide you. For the AC, I would just buy new parts from a parts store, not sure the kit from lrs is cheaper. It might be, but I found the parts I got from Orielly was better for me....but I pay triple the shipping that most of you pay.

nNj88S.jpg

A buddy had a cheap set of gages and it didnt move at all, low or high

Plus it is oem stuff over 30 years old so I can see putting any money into repairing it.

Compressor likely didn't kick on. If you pull the plug off the accumulator on the firewall and jump it, the compressor should kick on, then you can check pressures.

The smaller the differential, the lower you are on refrigerant. Is it r12 or r134?

+ 1 on parts house ac stuff. Global (gpd) usually makes all the aftermarket stuff anyways lol. A retrofit kit and an O ring kit may be all you need.but if you are changing the heater core I’d change the evaporator while you are in there.

The heater core was bypassed when I got the car so I assume I will need to pull the dash to do a heater core replacement,I have not done this before and I can say I am not looking forward to it. Is there a preferred heater core to use? I don't want to do this again.

Little late to reply but did an 86 and it went ok. Pretty similar to the 87+ being a PITA but plan a day with a friend and it’s 2-3 hour job.

I thought the 4-eye cars can go through the glovebox to do heater core?

And yes, I would do the Cobra booster. It's 2x the assist of the fox booster and the brake system was designed with this in mind.

As for ac...have you tossed pressure guages on to see where you are at?

I believe that is only true for the cars not factory equipped with A/C. I vaguely remember skimming over that section in my Haynes manual when I did my heater core.