1987 Maf Conversion

Colton Howell

Jul 29, 2017
I have a 1987 fox mostly stock except exhaust and cold air intake. I want to convert to mass air from speed density in order to start my build. What is the easiest way to convert to mass air? I have heard and read about the fiveology maf conversion kit. Is this the best an mot affordable way, or could I take the maf system out of a newer fox and put it in mine? Any help or advice is great

• Sponsors (?)

SD to MAF write up is in the tech archives
Don't buy any parts until you determine what build you are doing, as the will determine what MAF you will buy
If you plan on using the stock EEC then if a stick you will need an A9l, if an AOD then you will need an A9P.

Harness from IST

Mass-air.com. About $40

Then an A9L/A9P, a meter, and whatever various air induction setup you plan on using.

The EEC will be the most expensive part. I'd just snag a cheap 5.0 MAF for now and then upgrade it later when conversion is done and your mod level increases.

Short of forced induction and a cam....you can do a lot of mods without converting.

Reactions: 1 user
MASS air conversion instructions from http://www.stangnet.com/tech/maf/massairconversion.html FREE

Revised 2 Aug 2014 to add new links to conversion harness suppliers, diagram for repining computer wiring connector and YouTube video

A9L (5 Speed) computer from junkyard $100-$150
A3M (5 Speed) computer from junkyard $100-$150
A9P (Auto or in a pinch, it will work in a 5 Speed car) computer from junkyard $100-$150
70MM MAF from 94-95 Mustang GT - $40-$70
MASS Air wiring harness kit $30-$85

The whole thing is probably less than $300 using junkyard parts.

A9L computers are 5 speed only
A9P computers are automatic, but will work with a 5 speed.

The conversion harness seems to work well for most folks. It avoids the compatibility problems in using a harness from the junkyard. Simple and cheap, actually less work that swapping the wiring harness.
Conversion Harness kits & parts
http://www.mass-air.com/
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...ustang-50L-Mass-Air-Conversion-Wiring-Harness

Youtube video how to do a Mass Air conversion using a conversion harness kit (somewhat long but useful)

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnnTgXkHU9Q

hrdp_0705_26_z-ford_thunderbird_harness-.jpg

Wire side 60 pin computer wiring harness connector
a9x-series-computer-connector-wire-side-view-gif.71316

Computer side 60 pin computer wiring harness connector
eec-iv-computer-connector-for-5-0-mustang-gif.88243

If the idea of moving & soldering wires scares you, here's a list of compatible Mass Air wiring harnesses.

Copied from bbunt302
Just for reference, here's a list of all the compatible years:

89 harness should work for 86-89 as long as you're using mass air.
90 harness will only work in a 90. (because of air bags and dual dash connectors)
91 through early 92 harnesses should be compatible (single dash connector, fuel pump relay under driver's seat)

Late 92 through 93 harnesses may be compatible (single dash connector, fuel pump relay under the hood). You may end up running some extra wire for the fuel pump relay. Comments and input from someone who has actually used the 92-93 EFI harness would be nice.

Larger MAF to go with Mass Air conversion:
94-95 Mustang GT MAF - $40-$100. It is 70 MM instead of the stock 55 MM on regular stangs built prior to 94. It uses a slip on duct on the side that goes to the throttle body and a 4 bolt flange on the other. You need a flange adapter to fit the stock slip on air ducting that goes to the air box. Wiring plugs right in with no changes. *1 *2

*1.) Metal flange adapter http://www.kustomz.com/cat3.html Buy the TR70 for $40-$45 depending on if it’s on sale or not. Or spend some time on eBay looking for one that may fit.
Try AutoZone and ask for 81413 - Spectre / 3 in. Aluminum Intake Mass Air Flow Sensor Adapter at $12.00. You may have to order it online.

*2.) MAF & sensor interchange
The 94-95 Mustang 5.0 MAF & sensor is also found on:
1995-94 Mustang 3.8L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Crown Victoria 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1995-94 Mustang, Mustang Cobra 5.0L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Town Car 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Grand Marquis 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
Evidently the –A1A, -A2A, AA, etc. on the end of the part number is a minor variant that did not change the operating specs. You should be able to ignore it and have everything work good.

I have a 1987 fox mostly stock except exhaust and cold air intake. I want to convert to mass air from speed density in order to start my build. What is the easiest way to convert to mass air? I have heard and read about the fiveology maf conversion kit. Is this the best an mot affordable way, or could I take the maf system out of a newer fox and put it in mine? Any help or advice is great
At one time, late '90s, Ford Motorsports sold a Mass Air Kit which could be used in conversions. Can't recall if it included a PCM; I think not. I used the kit to convert a 351W in a '68 Mustang. Kit was actually the same parts as used with 5.0L '93 Cobra, 24# injectors, MAF sensor calibrated accordingly.

Finding one of those kits would be wonderful! imp

At one time, late '90s, Ford Motorsports sold a Mass Air Kit which could be used in conversions. Can't recall if it included a PCM; I think not. I used the kit to convert a 351W in a '68 Mustang. Kit was actually the same parts as used with 5.0L '93 Cobra, 24# injectors, MAF sensor calibrated accordingly.

The kit came with the computer, MAF, wiring harness and some sensors.

The OEM Ford MAFs are not calibrated to injector size. The injector sizing is done in the computer’s internal programming. Aftermarket MAF’s “lie” to the computer in an attempt to fool the computer into changing the injector pulse on timing to match the increased airflow.

The odd duck is the 93 Cobra computer, labeled X3Z which is internally calibrated for 24 lb. injectors. Use the MAF & MAF sensor from the X3Z computer to avoid problems with the computer's internal calibration. Try and avoid the 93 Cobra computer if you can, since it has it's own set of peculiarities.

Reactions: 1 users
The kit came with the computer, MAF, wiring harness and some sensors.

The OEM Ford MAFs are not calibrated to injector size. The injector sizing is done in the computer’s internal programming. Aftermarket MAF’s “lie” to the computer in an attempt to fool the computer into changing the injector pulse on timing to match the increased airflow.

The odd duck is the 93 Cobra computer, labeled X3Z which is internally calibrated for 24 lb. injectors. Use the MAF & MAF sensor from the X3Z computer to avoid problems with the computer's internal calibration. Try and avoid the 93 Cobra computer if you can, since it has it's own set of peculiarities.
I couldn't recall that the kit included the PCM, thank you. It worked out very well in the 351W conversion:

car_pr10.jpg

The hood even cleared the GT-40 intake! imp

SD to MAF write up is in the tech archives
Don't buy any parts until you determine what build you are doing, as the will determine what MAF you will buy
If you plan on using the stock EEC then if a stick you will need an A9l, if an AOD then you will need an A9P.
Thank you for helping me out. I am still new to the site and do not really know how to navigate it. I would like to keep it a daily driver pushing about 350 hp to the crank so about 320 hp to the wheels or so. My fox currently has 82,000 miles as of now and is a manual. What should be the first mods to go with? I will be ordering some 3:73 gears soon.

Harness from IST

Mass-air.com. About $40

Then an A9L/A9P, a meter, and whatever various air induction setup you plan on using.

The EEC will be the most expensive part. I'd just snag a cheap 5.0 MAF for now and then upgrade it later when conversion is done and your mod level increases.

Short of forced induction and a cam....you can do a lot of mods without converting.
Should I go with the fiveology kit? http://shop.fiveologyracing.com/1986-88-FORD-MUSTANG-50L-MASS-AIR-CONVERSION-KIT-MMAK.htm Is it worth the price?

MASS air conversion instructions from http://www.stangnet.com/tech/maf/massairconversion.html FREE

Revised 2 Aug 2014 to add new links to conversion harness suppliers, diagram for repining computer wiring connector and YouTube video

A9L (5 Speed) computer from junkyard $100-$150
A3M (5 Speed) computer from junkyard $100-$150
A9P (Auto or in a pinch, it will work in a 5 Speed car) computer from junkyard $100-$150
70MM MAF from 94-95 Mustang GT - $40-$70
MASS Air wiring harness kit $30-$85

The whole thing is probably less than $300 using junkyard parts.

A9L computers are 5 speed only
A9P computers are automatic, but will work with a 5 speed.

The conversion harness seems to work well for most folks. It avoids the compatibility problems in using a harness from the junkyard. Simple and cheap, actually less work that swapping the wiring harness.
Conversion Harness kits & parts
http://www.mass-air.com/
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...ustang-50L-Mass-Air-Conversion-Wiring-Harness

Youtube video how to do a Mass Air conversion using a conversion harness kit (somewhat long but useful)

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnnTgXkHU9Q

hrdp_0705_26_z-ford_thunderbird_harness-.jpg

Wire side 60 pin computer wiring harness connector
a9x-series-computer-connector-wire-side-view-gif.71316.gif

Computer side 60 pin computer wiring harness connector
eec-iv-computer-connector-for-5-0-mustang-gif.88243.gif

If the idea of moving & soldering wires scares you, here's a list of compatible Mass Air wiring harnesses.

Copied from bbunt302
Just for reference, here's a list of all the compatible years:

89 harness should work for 86-89 as long as you're using mass air.
90 harness will only work in a 90. (because of air bags and dual dash connectors)
91 through early 92 harnesses should be compatible (single dash connector, fuel pump relay under driver's seat)

Late 92 through 93 harnesses may be compatible (single dash connector, fuel pump relay under the hood). You may end up running some extra wire for the fuel pump relay. Comments and input from someone who has actually used the 92-93 EFI harness would be nice.

Larger MAF to go with Mass Air conversion:
94-95 Mustang GT MAF - $40-$100. It is 70 MM instead of the stock 55 MM on regular stangs built prior to 94. It uses a slip on duct on the side that goes to the throttle body and a 4 bolt flange on the other. You need a flange adapter to fit the stock slip on air ducting that goes to the air box. Wiring plugs right in with no changes. *1 *2

*1.) Metal flange adapter http://www.kustomz.com/cat3.html Buy the TR70 for $40-$45 depending on if it’s on sale or not. Or spend some time on eBay looking for one that may fit.
Try AutoZone and ask for 81413 - Spectre / 3 in. Aluminum Intake Mass Air Flow Sensor Adapter at $12.00. You may have to order it online.

*2.) MAF & sensor interchange
The 94-95 Mustang 5.0 MAF & sensor is also found on:
1995-94 Mustang 3.8L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Crown Victoria 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1995-94 Mustang, Mustang Cobra 5.0L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Town Car 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Grand Marquis 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
Evidently the –A1A, -A2A, AA, etc. on the end of the part number is a minor variant that did not change the operating specs. You should be able to ignore it and have everything work good.

Thank you for the advice! With that being said should what cars would I get these parts off of in the junkyard? and would they work as well as an aftermarket maf conversion kit? I currently have a hurst short throw shifter and am ordering 3:73 gears for her soon That should wake her up for now. What are the first mods you would recommend to make about 320 hp to the wheels on a stock 302 block? Heads, cam, intake? Thank you in advance!

where could I find this?

Thank you for helping me out. I am still new to the site and do not really know how to navigate it. I would like to keep it a daily driver pushing about 350 hp to the crank so about 320 hp to the wheels or so. My fox currently has 82,000 miles as of now and is a manual. What should be the first mods to go with? I will be ordering some 3:73 gears soon.

Easiest way it to get the TFS top end kit from Summt or LMRS.. Easy 350 crank hp. Youwill need to add injectors, MAF, headers, a new SFI balancer, and other assorted parts like a new water pump, thermostat, hoses, belts, etc. Know that when you start adding that amount of hp , you will need to upgrade your cooling system, clutch or transmission, suspension, brakes,....