Engine 1989 fox tuning

Bmvenom

Apr 21, 2018
Ny
Ok so iam sure my questions have been answered 20 years ago lol .
I am new to the 5.0 fuely tuning sorry !
So iam looking to upgrade the engine on my 89 Fox .
My build will consist of a bored over 0.030 302 roller block ..Hyperutectic flat top pistons .Gt40p heads ,Gt40 "explorer" intake .
Problem is I can not decide on a camshaft ,tb,and Maf .
I understand that I will need to use at least 30lbs injectors to run the setup .
How can I make the stock ecm work for this setup ?
Or is a stand alone the best bet ?
I was hoping for at least 350 hp if possible .

• Sponsors (?)

I'm going out on a limb here and tell you a couple secrets, the computer will do just fine for what you have, except the 30lb squirters, thats a little big, 19's will be ok but if your shooting for 350hp you'll need more better stuff. I'll get some experts in here to give you some advice on what you need for that kind of horse play.
@a91what @FastDriver @hoopty5.0

Reactions: 1 user
Those parts all came factory on ford explorers, and they made about 315ish fwhp, give or take a few. If you want 350, you’re going to need better heads and cam. The trick flow top end kit will do exactly what you are asking.

Assuminnng you do that, the factory computer is fine, but you’ll need 24# injectors and a matching MAF

That combo has been done plenty of times. Pretty basic fox build that will give you enough power to have fun with.

30# is overkill. The combo will work with 19s but 24s might offer some buffer.

Convert an explorer 65mm TB for use and run a 94-95 mustang 75mm MAF if sticking with the 19# injectors.

As for cam...savevthat for the end once you've 100% determined what combo you are building.

Stock ECU should be able to handle this combo

+1 there is no reason to over do this setup. Grab the maf from a 94-95 gt it is a easy factory upgrade from your stock maf. Run the explorer 19lb injectors, they have better atomization. Your cam choice needs to be mild for driveability, choose a cam that favors the exhaust side ie. More duration...
Call comp and have them recommend a cam for you.

If you have your heart set on that 350 number you are gonna be disappointed with that combo. If you change your thinking to how you want to car to drive, let's say, a really fun street car, then with the right cam, you will be pleased. For a street car I like the the stock cam better than most OTS cams(I run TFS1) or go custom. Also, if you want to get the most HP out of the 302 numbers wise, you will have to spend the money on quality parts, so do it right the first time that way you aren't swapping parts chasing 5-10 HP