1993 Premium sound stereo into 87-92 Mustang : Install thread

I have an 1989 GT Convertible with Premium Sound (6 speakers and the amp behind the Headunit).
I still have the Single CD Tuner from my previous 1995 GT with the MACH 460 setup (looks like your pic in post #7).
Do you know if this fits in my 89 GT?

No. You'd have to change to the 1993 style amp to be able to hook it up.

Another thing to think about is how to mount it

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I have a 93 with premium sound. Radio powers up, but no sound. I can not figure out if my amp is bad or the radio is bad. The amp has power to it. Does anyone know the voltage that I should be seeing at the amp remote wire? Dark blue. I was assuming 12v. But when I test it at the radio, it goes from .001 mv when off to .550 mv when the radio is on. Does that sound right?

Last edited:
Any new updates on installing the slave in dash ? The 93 set up should have more room than the earlier models due to having the amp under the seat rather than behind the dash . I see slave decks in the yard in Mustangs but 94up only . It does not make sense to pull one that looks like poop just to try it out . But the harness from radio to cd would be behind it so may pull that and save it for another day .

It wouldn't fit without major modifications to the trans tunnel. Basically I would have had to remove the center console, and then take a hammer and clearance the tunnel downwards right at the rear where the CD slave deck would have hit.

Since i wasn't willing to do that, i just went with the 1993 CD player vs installing a 94-98 Mach 460 head unit

I think you made the right move . I would love a CD player but have not seen one yet . I have a Scoche FM modulator in one of my other cars and love it . If and when I do find a Cd I'll hardwire another fm mod into it .

There are all different versions of compatible head units, unfortunately, the 1993 head units are unique in the sense that they feature a SQUARE unit face, and a mount on the bottom of the unit to hold the cubby hole.

None of the later Ford radios feature these features except the 93-95 F-150 which has a square face, but no cubby mount

attachment.php

Beware many ebay ads selling these radios claiming they are Mustang radios. These CD players were installed up to 2000 in other vehicles, such as the SN95 Mustang (very rare), countour/mystique, bronco, windstar (rare) and others. But note...rounded corners and no cubby. They will work, but you will have a hard time fabbing up something to go down below.

attachment.php

NOTE: After preset #5, is a CLOCK button. Not all radios feature this. On vehicles with a standalone clock (ie 94-97 Mustang) there will be a #6 preset instead. SO if having a CLOCK is important to you, make sure you grab a CLOCK radio. Same goes for TAPE players as well

The single din CD player is PREMIUM only. There is no non-premium wiring style of this deck. You need the 1993 wiring setup

Hey, just wanted to update this. I got my square face unit on ebay, it came out of a 91-94 model explorer (Mine was actually out of a '94, I don't know if they offered it in earlier years). Of course, I will have to fab the cubby mount, but it is an option for someone who wants the factory look without the pricey "Mustang" radio.

Like to do the same just other things get in the way from time to time . I have not come across a clean one at the u pull or I would have taken it . Ebay ? Hmm . I have bought stuff off ebay before w/o a problem . Bought some Sony 3 1/2 coax just last week for $20 . Brand new unused . USPS delivered and when I opened the box , what do you know . Some SE35 speakers . Not Sony , not Boston Acoustics . SE35 w/o any kind of specs on the back except Made in China . Does Made in China mean "best speakers around " ? Don't answer that question . Luckily ebay and paypal cover your purchase but I'm giving the seller the benefit of a message back before ebay gets involved . But obviously they knew those were phony speakers . Including a pic incase anyone has seen these before .

ry%3D400

I think I've seen the design before but where ? The speakers I bought were supposed to be 2-35rms and around 90db which play well with low power .

I'm in the same boat Benpharm was in. I have a '92 stock radio with EQ and I'm trying to install in an '87, which doesn't have the EQ connector. He got lucky and obtained a harness to make it work. I tried figuring out the wiring and ended up toasting a football amp. Not really due to bad wiring, but due to unplugging the radio with the amp still powered. Bad idea. So, I'm looking for anyone who might have an EQ harness or maybe the proper wiring diagram for the EQ harness. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Larry

No scanner til back at work Monday, so I'll try picks for now.

This should apply to all 87-89 mustangs

Base stereo
IMG_5364.JPG

Premium sound
IMG_5365.JPG

IMG_5367.JPG

Premium sound w/ EQ
IMG_5366.JPG

IMG_5367.JPG

I'm getting these diagrams from this manual, which sometimes shows up on eBay. Great reference manual if you need to do electrical
yzy8aruz.jpg

Last edited:
I think you made the right move . I would love a CD player but have not seen one yet . I have a Scoche FM modulator in one of my other cars and love it . If and when I do find a Cd I'll hardwire another fm mod into it .

Another option is the Lincoln 1993-1994 cd changer setup. Kinda rare, but pops up on ebay once in a while. You might find one in a mark 8 at a boneyard as well.

Unsure of the wiring for this, but it would be interesting to mount a factory cd changer in the hatch.

These early ford CD players do tend to skip though. Something to keep in mind if your stang has a stiff ride.

Another option is the Lincoln 1993-1994 cd changer setup. Kinda rare, but pops up on ebay once in a while. You might find one in a mark 8 at a boneyard as well.

Unsure of the wiring for this, but it would be interesting to mount a factory cd changer in the hatch.

These early ford CD players do tend to skip though. Something to keep in mind if your stang has a stiff ride.

Found one of those last time at the u pull but elected not to pull it . Too much wiring and time although the changer itself was an easy removal . Could have ebayded it I guess but if it does not work then it creates a problem .

I don't want any less room in the hatch than there is right know . Glad you mentioned about skipping . That would really blow .

Okay - if I am correct, the 6-pins should be these things...

-Signal Wire
-Ground
-Left In
-Right In
-Left Out
-Right Out

Anyone know which colors are which in the harness?

I am thinking that using the signal wire and the ground should tell the radio to interrupt it's current output (such as an FM station) and instead re-route the sound through the slaved CD through the L/R input. Not sure why it has the L/R out, though...

Hey I'm new here and i found a video on youtube that shows you how to hack up some wires to add an ipod connection.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmiRKsple7U

I did the 93 radio conversion onto my 88 mustang and now im looking to add an ipod connection through the 6 pin connection if its possible. I dont wanna hack up my speaker wires and i dont want an aftermarket radio because i like the OEM look. If you skip over to 23:40 on the video, it shows a picture of the rear connectors. hopefully i can figure out how to add an aux input through the 6 pin connection.

Hmm, that's an interesting idea. I don't like the idea of hacking up my 8-wire amp harness, but using the 6 pin connector is interesting. Basically it's like an AUX input.

Looking at the 6-pin harness, not sure how to make this work as an aux input. It does get input from the slave cd...so it might be possible.

nu8asate.jpg

a9ate6as.jpg

Last edited: