2Blue2's 1977 Cobra2 Driveway Build

Don't wreck it. It's not like you can get another. I would assume the rear end likes to kick out like a real Mustang does. Even the best of us can get in trouble on slippery pavement. A couple times my heart has stopped as I was sideways.

• Sponsors (?)

You need a 912A616 Truetrac! They are much better than the clutch type diffs. They are torque sensitive, not differential speed sensitive and they do NOT WEAR! They are 200 bucks more, but worth the money.
BUT you spent a lot of money for the diff, so that you burn two tires at the same time, which cost even more to replace :thinking:
But good news on the shipping cost side. It seems prices will come back to a normal level for us customers in the next months (at least for diesel powered ships, don't know what captain burnout wants for shipping tires and locker diffs with his ghost sailing ship):
Tweet-Callum-Global-Shipping-Costs-768x582.jpg

I did discuss the 3 optional styles with Son,
locker, truetrac, and good ole clutch filled.
I got some nice 3.55 gears to go in it

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user
You need a 912A616 Truetrac! They are much better than the clutch type diffs. They are torque sensitive, not differential speed sensitive and they do NOT WEAR! They are 200 bucks more, but worth the money.
BUT you spent a lot of money for the diff, so that you burn two tires at the same time, which cost even more to replace :thinking:
But good news on the shipping cost side. It seems prices will come back to a normal level for us customers in the next months (at least for diesel powered ships, don't know what captain burnout wants for shipping tires and locker diffs with his ghost sailing ship):
Tweet-Callum-Global-Shipping-Costs-768x582.jpg

I think I've made this comment somewhere before, but I like the Truetrac - I have one in my 4x4 Ram. But for muscle cars and such I'd prefer a locking type of differential over the Truetrac. The way the Truetrac works is that it will spin either one wheel or the other, depending on the circumstance. Obviously a LSD or locker style will engage both wheels at the same time. The reason I like them for those applications is that for a 4x4 you want traction in slippery or muddy conditions and transferring power from one wheel to the other you should be able to avoid digging yourself a hole in which you'd eventually have to climb out of. As for a LSD in a car, you want both wheels to transmit power in racing conditions in order to propel yourself forward. They end up giving you an increased contact patch over a Truetrac. I think they're both a vast improvement over an open differential, but I believe they need to be chosen for the proper application. :)

The way the Truetrac works is that it will spin either one wheel or the other, depending on the circumstance.
Sorry, but that it not true. TrueTrac is a torsen-sytle diff, that connects both sides with worm gears.
I had one in my 66 Mustang. If you increase throttle opening while driving a corner you can directly feel how more torque is transmitted to the inner rear wheel. For spirited driving it is in my opinion the best option. As described below only if one wheel is in the air you have a problem, but that is more a offroad thing. And you can still get torque transmitted to both wheels, if one is in the air, when you step on the brakes slightly.
In the Mustang S550 the clutch type is the standard LSD, torsen is included in the performance package...

Torsen and helical differentials work in a fairly similar fashion, using clever gearing to apply locking force to transfer torque to the wheel with more grip. They’re great for street use and even light track use, though they do have a disadvantage.

Advantages:

• These differentials begin to send more torque to the slower-rotating wheel the instant there is a speed differential between them. Essentially, it reacts far quicker than a VLSD.
  • These are purely mechanical systems, with no routine maintenance required as the differential action is dependent upon friction throughout the gears.

Disadvantages:

• When one wheel is in the air, a Torsen diff acts very similarly to an open differential, and very little torque is sent to the drive axle. For street use this is completely acceptable, but it may be an issue for more purpose built vehicles on the track.
Street
If you’re looking for a differential to help get the power down and prevent one tyre fires, a Torsen or helical differential is a great option for street use. These can be found in the Subaru STI, Toyota GT86, Ford Mustang GT (with performance package), and Mitsubishi Evolution to name a few.

Track
For track use, something more aggressive tends to be a better option, such as a one-way or 1.5-way clutch type LSD.

Drift/Rally
For drifting or rally driving, occasionally a two-way LSD may be the best option, as it’s more desirable in these scenarios for wheel speeds to remain relatively equal.

Sorry, but that it not true. TrueTrac is a torsen-sytle diff, that connects both sides with worm gears.
I had one in my 66 Mustang. If you increase throttle opening while driving a corner you can directly feel how more torque is transmitted to the inner rear wheel. For spirited driving it is in my opinion the best option. As described below only if one wheel is in the air you have a problem, but that is more a offroad thing. And you can still get torque transmitted to both wheels, if one is in the air, when you step on the brakes slightly.
In the Mustang S550 the clutch type is the standard LSD, torsen is included in the performance package...

Torsen and helical differentials work in a fairly similar fashion, using clever gearing to apply locking force to transfer torque to the wheel with more grip. They’re great for street use and even light track use, though they do have a disadvantage.

Advantages:

• These differentials begin to send more torque to the slower-rotating wheel the instant there is a speed differential between them. Essentially, it reacts far quicker than a VLSD.
  • These are purely mechanical systems, with no routine maintenance required as the differential action is dependent upon friction throughout the gears.

Disadvantages:

• When one wheel is in the air, a Torsen diff acts very similarly to an open differential, and very little torque is sent to the drive axle. For street use this is completely acceptable, but it may be an issue for more purpose built vehicles on the track.
Street
If you’re looking for a differential to help get the power down and prevent one tyre fires, a Torsen or helical differential is a great option for street use. These can be found in the Subaru STI, Toyota GT86, Ford Mustang GT (with performance package), and Mitsubishi Evolution to name a few.

Track
For track use, something more aggressive tends to be a better option, such as a one-way or 1.5-way clutch type LSD.

Drift/Rally
For drifting or rally driving, occasionally a two-way LSD may be the best option, as it’s more desirable in these scenarios for wheel speeds to remain relatively equal.

I think that my explantion was too vague. ;) I'm going from what I've noticed with my truck - it always seems to alternate which wheel spins when I purposely floor it on asphalt in the rain. That coincides with what this guy is talking about in this video that I watched before buying it. So for a burnout or when your wheels are almost freely spinning due to loss of traction, I'd think that the Truetrac would react the same and search for resistance/traction. :shrug:

View: https://youtu.be/5pGH2Cw_FyM

And I love Engineering Explained! I watch his videos from time to time, but I've never watched these particular videos. Man! You can tell that that was early on in his YouTube career! He has polished his presentations quite a bit since then! He does a whole lot better job explaining this stuff than I ever could though! I think he explains what I and the previous video's contributor are feeling in this video, probably most specifically in the first 2 or 3 minutes.

View: https://youtu.be/lDsQAs0Ldes

But I think we agree that a locking type differential is more useful for burnouts and straight up drag racing (which, I believe, is the only time burnouts are advantageous anyhow - otherwise it's nothing but a smokeshow). :)

Last edited:
really like the Detroit locker I got in my 65...
Know the spool, even though the cheapest of all, would suck and be down right dangerous on the rain covered roads out here

I have a Detroit Locker in my Cobra. It works very well for burnouts in combination with the line lock that I've also installed! :burnout:

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users
The Cobra has been dead reliable till now, but the battery has died.
A couple of months past its warranty date, of course.
Kids birthday is this week so birthday battery it is....
Almost 200$ grumble grumble.
Battery makes a boring picture so...

IMG_9618.JPG
IMG_0813.JPG
IMG_0353.JPG

Happy to see him work on it occasionally.

Reactions: 4 users
Got drive her to work this week.
Idled in traffic for an hour at a time just fine.
Still a slow drip on exhaust so a little smoky.

IMG_2356.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
A pink love note!

Oh well, they just want to buy me Mustangs..

But alas no cash offer, just a call me. I get these about twice a year.
Does anyone leave you notes?

IMG_2529.JPG