300 hp

maciaspm

Mar 13, 2008
hi, I bought a 94 mustang gt 6 month ago, since then i have put a 3.73 gear ratio and rebuild the rear end. i want to know what is the best way to achieve close to 300 hp with my engine w/out putting no nos or supercharger.

• Sponsors (?)

Do you want 300 rear wheel hp or at the flywheel hp? Heads, cam and intake plus the supporting mods should get you close if not over 300 at the tire depending on the parts you select.

The main thing is to get it to breath.

Heads- Trickflow are some of the best. Eldelbrocks are good. Dart makes some too. If you're on a budget, you can find some GT40's off of an Explorer and get them ported, but 300 hp is gonna be harder to get to with these.

Valvetrain- Definitely get some 1.7 roller rockers, chrome moly pushrods made to proper length depending on cam, valvesprings to match. Crane, Comp, custom cam shops can help you here.

Cam- The best option here is to get a custom cam. There are lots of grinders (I'm sure others will chime in), but you can also call Crane or Comp and tell them you're combo and they'll get you a good one.

Intake- again, Trickflow, Edelbrock, ported Cobra/Explorer

Exhaust- HEADERS! The stock manifolds are insanily restrictive. Longtubes for torque and sound, shorties for hp and ground clearance. Off road H or X pipe and whatever mufflers you like the sound of.

That's the basic equation. Basically, do some research, talk to people, and go with what you like.

Get something like this, it takes all the guess work out of mixing and matching parts and its all meant to work together.

http://treperformance.com/i-90334-t...-wedge-top-end-engine-kits-for-ford-5-0l.html

Get a bigger Mass Air Meter, Bigger Throttle body, Exhaust (headers, H/X pipe, Cat back) and a dyno tune and you should have your 300 at the wheels if not more. HP costs money, thats all it comes down to.

You really just need to search 300 hp, or 300 rwhp, or 300 horsepower, etc and you will find DAYS of reading on this subject. There is even a sticky at the top listing common combos and horse power results. The 300rwhp N/A 302 has been done thousands of different ways thousands of times.

Adam

thanx for the info, what should i do first. and i want 300hp on the wheels, how much will this cost.

You're basically going to need all the external bolt-on performance mods (CAI, MAF, TB, headers, midpipe, cat-backs, pulleys) plus aftermarket heads/cam/intake/bigger injectors/higher-flow fuel pump/computer tune. Total cost of all the above will be about $4500 but the external bolt-ons alone will be nearer $1300.
You didn't mention whether you have the T5 or the AODE tranny. You can easily get 300rwhp with the T5 but it'll be a much bigger challenge to reach that target even with the above mods if you have the AODE.

This is grady's combo: just do what he did. it looks as he researched alot about this combo...

95GT, T5, AFR 165's, FTI Cam, Edel RPM,
30# inj, Mac LT's & Cat Pipe, 373's
Stock T/B, Maf, & Catback
Tweecer Tuned

293hp 322tq

Copy cat LOL

You didn't mention whether you have the T5 or the AODE tranny. You can easily get 300rwhp with the T5 but it'll be a much bigger challenge to reach that target even with the above mods if you have the AODE.

Typcially you have more drivetrain loss w/ a AODE 20% avg while a 5 spd is 15%..both the accepted avg.

i think i have the t5, is a 94 gt with a 5 speed, it has 214,000 but the engine was rebuild about 200000 same goes for the tranny, so what should i do first, will a computer upgrade be the first thing or last.

You have a T5, that's the manual transmission that comes on the 94-95 Mustangs. Now, the trouble is that there isn't one exact way to get 300hp. You'll feel an improvement with any of these mods, but to hit your goal you have to keep modifying. If all you want is for someone to tell you what to buy, the TFS kit listed above will work. However, if you want to know WHY it works then you need to do the research and learn what all the parts will do for you.

You'll need to modify the computer's program at some point. You can do it yourself with a Tweecer, or you can pay someone to burn a chip for you.

I think the ultimate answer is, you need to learn what mods are right for YOU. We here on StangNet can give you RECOMMENDATIONS, but we can't tell you what you will be happy with.

i wouldnt say say a cold air does nothing at all on a 5.0.

its not worth spending 150+ bucks for one cause you can make your own very easy, and i think american muscle sells a decent kit for 70 bucks.

i got the one from american muscle, there might not have been ainy big gain

but it definatly performs and runs better when at full temp

Cold Air intake does ZERO on a 5.0. Waste of money.

I like the sound it makes!:D

I think most people see the "gain" from switching from the lame stock filter to a conical filter. I tend to agree with you... swapping in a K and N instead of the stocker is where the gain will be. The whole cold air assembly is mostly cosmetics and a louder "whoosh" sound when you hit the gas.

But what do you know, the Summit catalog says 8-15 horse!!!!!

Adam