Build Thread 429MII's Build Thread

• Sponsors (?)

That's what Joe Rugirello thought...
True, except I'm building a multi use street car not a race car. Been there done that, and you never win because there is always someone knocking at your door..kinda like a gunslinger. Everyone is out to beat you, or you are constantly trying to beat someone else. It becomes a race of cubic dollars.

This car for me is about driving. Thats also why it has 3.70 gears and not 3.90 or 4.56. It's also why its not tubbed. I want to be able to drive it 500 miles if I want to, not just to the burger stand, car show or clandestine strip and back.
It's also why I'm not going too crazy with the engine either. I could have built a stroker 545 or 572 for a small mount more than the 429, but then I would have to harness all that extra torque, and in a light car like this that means tubbed for big tires. I am already on the edge for traction with the torque of the 429, which is why I put in Cal Tracks otherwise I would just have a burn out machine.
While it can be argued this build is still somewhat crazy as it is, I don't think I will find a need for more power than what i will have here.I am not that crazy.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Finally have battery area roughed in. A lot of metal banging lol. Nothing really welded yet except the small patch at the back. Didn't really protrude into the wheel well as much as you'd think.
I'm going to have to make a few more pieces to fill in around the box in the wheel well, but other than that mostly done rough in.

Attachments

• 20210228_170848.jpg
    20210228_170848.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 20210228_170905.jpg
    20210228_170905.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 20210228_171037.jpg
    20210228_171037.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 20210228_171031.jpg
    20210228_171031.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 20210228_170939.jpg
    20210228_170939.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: 2 users
What's that?? :chin

20210228_171031__01.jpg

I've not seen a can like that in a long minute! Of course I don't drink either, so I don't pay attention in the grocery stores here. :shrug:

1614623512953.png

But we can ring the bell when we see the next round of progress and everyone can crack one open in celebration if they so choose! :D

True, except I'm building a multi use street car not a race car. Been there done that, and you never win because there is always someone knocking at your door..kinda like a gunslinger. Everyone is out to beat you, or you are constantly trying to beat someone else. It becomes a race of cubic dollars.
This is true. It's why I finally went with a smaller displacement engine... that's just as big externally as yours... wait, am I doing this wrong?

Reactions: 1 users
lol..
You guys never cease to amaze me....you go over the pics like a wheres waldo game lol.. Gotta be careful what I leave in sight....;)
I do go through many blue ribbon days/nights working on the 7LM24S. hmm.... licence plate idea? ...lol

• Haha
Got more parts coming to continue the build.

Ordered the Davies Craig electric water pump and 429 hose kit, and the 16" fan and electronic fan and water pump controller as well. It eliminates the need for a mechanical thermostat as the fan and pump are controlled electronically by temp sensors.

Also got some grill mesh coming as I am not sure what I aim doing with the grille yet, but I think I want to clean up the look of it by having no turn signals in it. I may move those to the bumper or valance , we will see.

Today I will probably work on the battery tray area again, although I really want to start something new, but I will have to wait. At some point once all the fab is done I will have to blow the car completely apart and buy a rotisserie to go over the whole car, all the welds, the stripping of all the paint and sound deadener etc. .......So much welding to do on this car :( lol...

Look what happens when you put a filter on too tight.

Some j@cka$$ tightened the oil filter on so tight, that it squished the filter when I tried to take it off with a filter wrench. Then it squished so far that a filter wrench could not grab it, then I tried the old knock a big screwdriver right through the filter to use the extra leverage and two effective handles to rotate the filter, all that did was shear the filter in two.
I then had to cut off the remaining tin leaving the metal filter base only. an take a punch and a hammer and try to tap it off. That did not work so I got a 3 lb mini sledge hammer and a pin punch and beat the crazap out of it and it finally came off.

I am replacing the filter mount now due to the fact that I don't trust it and it looks to have a crack in it. Not sure if that was from the installation or removal of this filter, but I'm sur they installed it with an impact wrench.

I learned two things from this.

1) There are still a lot of people that should leave even simple jobs to professionals. If you don't know how to install a filter, don't, and if you aren't an electrician, do not install your own baseboard heaters. There was a guy at the hardware store the other day wiring in heaters and he was asking me what the white wire and black wires meant.
2) Fram filters are garbage, and are paper thin. I chucked the media parts, but let me tell you it is a crap product, very lacking in quantity and substance, and the metal casing is paper thin. I can crush one with my bare hands.
I am exclusively using Wix filters myself now (Napa).

Attachments

• 20210313_172110.jpg
    20210313_172110.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 20210313_172146.jpg
    20210313_172146.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 20210313_172212.jpg
    20210313_172212.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: 1 user
So, this filter debacle is part of my Nova refresh. For those interested, some time ago I bought a 1977 Nova 350 4Spd. as a cruiser. It has 77k original miles and has all it's original drivetrain etc. Bucket seat, console, gauges, F41, so really nicely optioned.
It needed some cleanup from lack of direction by earlier owners, so I am removing the drivetrain to re-gasket, re-seal and maintenance/ wear items such as hoses, filters, timing set, oil pump etc. will be replaced. The thing ran like a top, but leaked everywhere.
Also,somebody spray bombed the engine black, and I want to return it to original blue.
Engine is now out and on a stand, replaced the timing set already, next is oil pump and rear main seal.
Also found out why the trans was leaking oil so badly was that some idiot overfilled it as well.

Sorry for pic quality. It's time for a new phone....... I have chucked this one across the room too many times now....:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 20210313_121459.jpg
    20210313_121459.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 84