5.0Torx's progress thread

5.0Torx

Dec 30, 2007
Figured its my turn for one of these

After 3 long months of swapping the heads and intake over, my car is finally running reliably. I gave it a much-needed wash, wax, wheel polish, and tire shine yesterday and took pics. Made me think of all the blood, sweat, and tears ive got in this car, enough so that i feel i can join the ranks of those with progress threads, so here it is!

My names Connor. Im 22, studying for Mechanical Engineering at UM-Rolla, if any of you know where/what that is. Id like to get to know everyone here a little better.

I got it senior year of high school - first car. 93 5.0 LX hatch 5 speed. heres a few pics of it mostly stock. At this point i think the only thing i had done to it is the headlights. A mack truck went by me on a two lane highway and my ****tily-secured front liicense plate ripped off the bumper and obliterated the F R parking light, so i bought new shiny ones lol

5-0torx-albums-mustang-pics-picture3681-119-1925.jpg

5-0torx-albums-mustang-pics-picture3683-119-1919-2.jpg

my 83 F250 beater is in the background of this one. Its what always saves the day when i need to get dirty!

5-0torx-albums-mustang-pics-picture3684-119-1995-2.jpg

Artsy shot

these pics were taken 1/26/07 !!!

• Sponsors (?)

still going...

5-0torx-albums-mustang-pics-picture3687-img-9072.jpg

On 6/29/08 i did five lug! PBR fronts, ranger drum rear, waffle pony wheels. Transfered my bridgestones over to the waffles. Stay away from the continentals. I nearly killed myself in the rain with those stupid tires :mad:

This pic also shows the Bullitt springs, new tie rod ends, and BJs. I was on a road trip to north carolina with a friend of mine and ran over a meteorite at 80 mph, completely destroying my FL tire and wheel. The collision was so bad that the FL spring snapped in half a few months later :jaw: But thats the beauty of mustangs. I could pay a shop $1.8m for new stock springs, or $250 from PPI for Bullitts. To anyone who wants to do suspension on a budget, i HIGHLY recommend Bullitt springs. I poly isolated them top and bottom and go over speed bumps just fine, and thats with my droopy exhaust! :rlaugh: The handling is amazing

5-0torx-albums-mustang-pics-picture3686-img-9070.jpg

Yes, yes, i am stupid and installed the calipers upside down at first. :stupid:

The brakes are sweet!!!

still going...

heres a shot just for ****s and giggles with the coug

5-0torx-albums-mustang-pics-picture3685-img-2323.jpg

The cougar isnt turning out to be such a good investment...it has the fred flinstone package, lemme put it that way...:mad::rolleyes:

anyhoo, i bought an exploder motor for $350 from a junkyard on 2/15/08.

5-0torx-albums-mustang-pics-picture3688-100-1189.jpg

Here it is on its glorious ride home in the back of the F250. Thank god for beater trucks. It was pissing coolant and oil all over the bed. I dont think my mom wouldve been to happy to get the interior of her nice ass '00 Expedition all nasty :lol:

5-0torx-albums-mustang-pics-picture3689-100-1193.jpg

I was originally going to pay $700 for it, but got it for $350 after the jy found this...

The teardown begins

Here we go! I started on my spring break from college. A week should be enoug, right? WRONG! :notnice:

5-0torx-albums-mustang-pics-picture3690-img-2967-2.jpg

In this form it put down 207/274 to the rear wheels. Its just removed air silencer, drop-in K&N, and full exhaust. Stock everything else.

5-0torx-albums-mustang-pics-picture3691-img-2979-2.jpg

Just getting to this stage took almost a day lol. "wheres my goddamn ___?!?!?!" ... "Oh, right in front of me. Damn im dumb" :rlaugh:

:nice:

Time to help those considering GT40Ps

Alright y'all, time for the pics youve been waiting for

Heres an overview shot of the drivers side GT40P head. plugs in, BBK Unequal shorties, and the FRPP 9mm blue wires.

5-0torx-albums-mustang-pics-picture3692-img-2998-2.jpg

5-0torx-albums-mustang-pics-picture3693-img-2999-2-5-cylinder.jpg

This is the #5 cylinder. Clearance is pretty good.

5-0torx-albums-mustang-pics-picture3694-img-3000-2-6-cylinder.jpg

#6 cylinder. A little bit tighter than #5. You can get the plug boot on and off just fine, but getting the plug itself out takes some voodoo magic that only i am capable of :D

5-0torx-albums-mustang-pics-picture3695-img-3001-2-7-cylinder-easily-tightest-squeeze-non-p-headers.jpg

This is the #7 cylinder. EASILY the tightest of them all. You cant even get the plug boot on the right way. In this pic, i have the wire flipped. The end that would normally go onto the dizzy is on the plug, just for the tighter 90 degree bend. I dont expect it to hold up to the heat forever and ever, but for now its running. Money doesnt grow on trees!

5-0torx-albums-mustang-pics-picture3696-img-3002-2-8-cylinder.jpg

#8 cyl. No problem!

still going...

Heres the passengers side cylinder head overview

5-0torx-albums-mustang-pics-picture3697-img-3010-2-passengers-cylinder-head-overview-shot.jpg

This one is alot easier to deal with.

5-0torx-albums-mustang-pics-picture3700-img-3013-2-2-cylinder-i-left-1-out-because-completely-unaffected-non-p-headers.jpg

This si the number 2 cylinder. I left #1 out because its as easy as stock. NOTHING is in the way. The angle of the spark plugs is working with you on this side. On the drivers side, the angle is working against you.:notnice:

5-0torx-albums-mustang-pics-picture3699-img-3012-2-3-cylinder.jpg

5-0torx-albums-mustang-pics-picture3698-img-3011-2-4-cylinder.jpg

still going...

Alright, now that the GT40P info has been taken care of, Its time for engine wrap up!

5-0torx-albums-mustang-pics-picture3701-img-3035-2.jpg

Bought the explorer itnake from TMoss. He's 15 minutes away from me, suckers!!! He actually lives in the same neighborhood as one of my best friends. small freakin world.

This pic also shows the 1.7 cobra rockers. I also threw in a trick flow timing chain. The stocker was getting a little sloppy

5-0torx-albums-mustang-pics-picture3702-img-3044-2.jpg

Oh if only it was still this clean!

5-0torx-albums-mustang-pics-picture3703-img-3064-2.jpg

DONE!!!! :flag::nice::D

last one! For now...

5-0torx-albums-mustang-pics-picture3707-img-3414-2.jpg

These are the pics that inspired me to make this thread. Took these a few days ago. Its all cleaned up. You can also say hello to Holley. 45 lb German Sheapard. Sweetest dog in the world. And yes, we named her after the carbs.

5-0torx-albums-mustang-pics-picture3706-img-2778-2.jpg

My brothers 97 Lincoln Mk VIII is barely visible in the background here. That is a deceptively fast car. I think if i didnt have my exhaust, he could probably outrun me in my 1000-pounds-lighter fox! :eek:

5-0torx-albums-mustang-pics-picture3705-img-2765-2.jpg

5-0torx-albums-mustang-pics-picture3704-img-2760-2.jpg

All done!!! lemme know what you think!

:flag:

nice dog, she's still got a lot of growing to do. I have two german shepherd/wolf hybrids and they are the best dogs I have ever owned. stang looks pimp too. I love the way the new intake came out.

having any problems with the spark plug wires getting burnt??

did you use the explorer thorttle body? what year motor is it?

and i paid 250 for mine :D well 271.88 after tax. then the mornon behide the countour couldnt figure out what 280.00 minus 271.88 was. in my head im thinking...now i know why you where here with with your mullet...and his name was verigal..haha.

sorry had to share. :D

nice dog, she's still got a lot of growing to do. I have two german shepherd/wolf hybrids and they are the best dogs I have ever owned. stang looks pimp too. I love the way the new intake came out.

thanks man. Actually, miss Holley is about 7 years old. fully grown at 45 lb. Probably a runt and i think she was abused before we got to her because she's very skittish sometimes. But without a doubt the sweetest dog ever. And she loves going for rides in cars lol

The intake is awesome.

having any problems with the spark plug wires getting burnt??

did you use the explorer thorttle body? what year motor is it?

and i paid 250 for mine :D well 271.88 after tax. then the mornon behide the countour couldnt figure out what 280.00 minus 271.88 was. in my head im thinking...now i know why you where here with with your mullet...and his name was verigal..haha.

sorry had to share. :D

My experience is limited. Since ive been having so much trouble with it, ive only put about 1000 miles on it since march. Its still good so far. I dont remember exactly, but i think i fliped the wires on 6, 7, and 8. #7 because i absolutely had to, and 6 and 8 because the correct end wouldve been too close for comfort. I know the dizzy end isnt built to handl ethe heat that the spark plug end is, but if the correct end is almost touching the header, id rather have the weaker end further away.

I measured the TB opening on both the intake that came with my motor and the one that came from TMoss, and both were about 68 or 69 mm wide. I bought a 70mm off ebay because its less of a difference than the stock 65. Also, i didnt have to mess wtih old, seized up junk, or the throttle cable difference between the explorer and the mustang. the one from ebay will flow more air, less turbulantly, and bolted right up.

You got a helluva deal on that engine man! i hope things go more smoothly for you than they did for me! :nice: