Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have bought my share of tools off the Snap-On white & red truck when I was single and much younger.

However, now that I am older and more patient, I look for the best buys. Your $69 carbide cutter can be had for half that or less at http://cets.com/store/catalog/burrs.html.
I tried them, and They have good service, best prices and product.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Come on guys, you change the air when you replace muffler bearings and the mirror fluids.

So tell us Dave...what is the secret sauce to getting good welds on the pinch area? Some day I may want to make a matrix brace too. I mean if it's good enough for Booger it's good enough for my unnamed piece o' crap.
I'll tell you if it works well on the other side. I may have just got lucky.

Ok, welds are dressed and i've coated the bare metal with POR15.
IMG_0040.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG

I sprayed etch primer on the outer rocker for now. I'll smooth it later after I get the cs done for the right side.
IMG_0039.JPG

I'll seam seal the tops of the bars tomorrow after the POR15 has dried, then spray the undercoating, I'll paint it maybe tuesday night.

In the mean time, on to the right side.
IMG_0042.JPG

Reactions: 4 users
I can't think of what they are called, but I think that they are supposed to be modern replica of those wheels. Kinda like the 2005 was the NEW retro Stang. I think they made updates to wheels and stuff to make them more modern but have that nostalgic look.

Question, Dave....I can't remember if you got the front cobra brakes with the IRS. If your putting the cobra 13 inch brakes on the front check and make sure those wheels will clear the calipers.

Fixed....question...not quotation.smh... I really hate this phone.

Last edited:
Okie dokie. I'm going to post the first few pictures of the progress on the passsenger cs for y'all. This will look real familiar to you.

If you want to see the entirety of the process again, I'll post pictures. Otherwise these pictures will be the last I post here for at least a week.

Anywho.....I started by measuring where the diagonal rods would go and dressed the jr there for welding. I also cleaned off the entire other side for the pinch weld.
IMG_0043.JPG

Then I tacked it to the pinch weld after I hammered out a few of the waves and dents in the pinch weld.
IMG_0044.JPG

Then I cut and shaped the first diagonal rung. Then partially welded it to the jr and tacked it to the sfc.
IMG_0045.JPG

Just to show y'all how high tech I am, right at the @Hoytster level of modern technology, here's my CAD drawing of the chassis supports. BTW CAD stands for Can Almost Draw round here......
IMG_0046.JPG

Reactions: 4 users
Quotation, Dave....I can't remember if you got the front cobra brakes with the IRS. If your putting the cobra 13 inch brakes on the front check and make sure those wheels will clear the calipers.
Thanks Scott, I'll worry about that next spring when I'm focusing on the suspension. Right now the front will still have the ten hole four lug wheels.

Why on earth would you put a 900lb 460 cubic engine in there when you can get a 454 cubic inch windsor that probably weighs less than 500lbs. I mean you could get a Cummins and probably be tipping the scales the same as a 460. Hell the crank in one weighs about 100 lbs! :coff:

Windsor stroker. If you want to really be different, get a Clevor stroker. Windsor shortblock with Cleveland heads. I think there's an Aussie outfit that makes a pretty badass set of alloy (as they say down under) Cleveland heads. Then you could have your own canted valve cross breed.

Reactions: 1 users
Why on earth would you put a 900lb 460 cubic engine in there when you can get a 454 cubic inch windsor that probably weighs less than 500lbs. I mean you could get a Cummins and probably be tipping the scales the same as a 460. Hell the crank in one weighs about 100 lbs! :coff:

Windsor stroker. If you want to really be different, get a Clevor stroker. Windsor shortblock with Cleveland heads. I think there's an Aussie outfit that makes a pretty badass set of alloy (as they say down under) Cleveland heads. Then you could have your own canted valve cross breed.

Edit....we're both wrong...a z460 is a Windsor.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Look up the Z460 smart guy.

Reactions: 1 users

A Clevor would be cool. Trick Flow also makes Cleveland heads and intakes that can be bolted to a Windsor block.

Status
Not open for further replies.