Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said in the other thread... When we were kids, we'd have rolled the crap out of that with 4 to 6 of our closest friends riding in the back, white knuckled to the ohchit bar going down the highway.

So, it's Saturday morning and I'm sitting here waiting for the 'noise barrier threshold' time to be met in my neighborhood.

I didn't get munch done this work week, because of the odds and ends.......certifications, salvage yard, wife's minor surgery, drinking too much beer to be trusted with a 5" grinder, etc.......

I did look at Booger with my serious eyes for a little bit though. I'm going to do a little modification to my shock tower patch panel today. It's not quite the proper shape in the bend that welds to the outer frame rail. It'll involve a small cut, a bend and a short welding session. Grinding too, yay.

I should have the frame rail fully completed today. I'll fit up the new radiator support and maybe trim out the right side for the Scott Rod panel.

And something else..............

Reactions: 2 users
I did introduce Booger to his new bumper cover this week, I finally brought it home and it's resting with other parts upstairs.

I took the rear bumper to work for the Booger treatment btw.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok, one problem I was having with my fabricated piece was how it met the bottom inside of the frame rail.

Here’s a picture of the left side. You can see how the side bends into the rail and doesn’t go in straight.

So I measured a little and trimmed with my handy reciprocating saw and came up with this. I’ll get the welded in here in a minute. Then I’ll spend most of the day putting the rail in.

Reactions: 4 users
Short break. The front cap of the rail has a small section that needs to be trimmed to match the old rails.

That had me looking at the left side, which led me into thinking that I really needed to finish drilling out the old radiator support on that side. Which led me into thinking that while I’m there I might as well pull out the majority of the inner panel too.

So I’m about to go back to the frame rail again now that the squirrel is taken care of.

Reactions: 3 users
We're the same but different. You start on one thing, see the squirrel, then jump on the squirrel, knock out the squirrel, then go back to point A. I start on one thing, see the squirrel, then go spend hours researching the squirrel and when I decide how to knock out the squirrel, I've added a chipmunk, raccoon and an entire petting zoo of I then spend hours or months researching and planning. Then I am like OH ...I forgot to finish POINT A and the petting zoo is now done and in the way and has to be removed to get back to Point A. And then I usually go why I am even messing with this petting zoo and just do away with it!

Reactions: 2 users
So I took a break and went to the store to get some food, water, Gatorade and the such. This let a couple of my batteries charge while I farted around at Wally World.

Got back and started drilling the holes for my spot welds. 51 holds in 14 guage steel is tiring.

After my holy time, I welded in the front bumper bracket inside the frame rail, and then welded the crush tubes to their lower plate and welded that into the frame rail.

Here’s that top rail cover that I trimmed earlier, it fit up real nice.

I cleaned up all of the old spot welds I removed and vacuumed out the down tube on the subframe again ( sht collects in there really quick).

Then I ran a bit of 3/4” tape over the spot weld areas and coated the inside of the frame rail and various places on the strut tower with POR15.

After I start welding all of the pieces together tomorrow I’ll follow up with as best coverage as I can for the inside of the rail. I’ll go back and spray this frame rail coating crap I got after it’s all assembled.

Attachments

• 878B44A0-160D-4BE3-86C1-27054074D51A.jpeg
    353.5 KB · Views: 139
This is fun to watch.
Thanks Jon, it's an absolute blast to be working on a mustang in my garage again too!

So, when are you coming to Tulsa again? You need to stop by. I'll take you to Fat Guy's hamburgers.

It's so satisfying, I keep sneaking back out to the garage just to stare at the work done today, Lol. So I may have a small personal problem, maybe two........

Status
Not open for further replies.