Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idiot update.

I finally got the first zipper sewn in.......upside down:nonono: You know what though? It's freaking staying like that! I can zip it up, it'll be a little challenging, but not overly.
image.jpg

I also got the two corner seams that opened up during the washings sewn as well.

Tomorrow i should finally get my spring sets in (if you believe tracking data). So, maybe tuesday i'll be done with the passenger seat. Plus the driver's back done.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I got on the passenger seat back with the nice new foam.
image.jpg

I hooked the new foam on the frame and covered the foam's upper "shoulder" area with some very thin plastic I have and went to slipping the cover over it. I hog ringed the upper listing.
IMG_2406.JPG

Pulled the cover the rest of the way down and zipped it up. The marks you see are from the rubber mallet I used to beat on it to get the cover to do what I wanted. Since I'm a moron, I had to have someone help me to zip it up. They held the ends together while I used a pair of pliers to pull it shut.
IMG_2407.JPG
IMG_2408.JPG

Now I just need to clean off my mallet marks, scuff the vinyl with a red scotchbrite and paint it. I'll post a picture later today. I have a customer car I have to shoot now.

Reactions: 5 users
I got on the passenger seat back with the nice new foam.
image.jpg

I hooked the new foam on the frame and covered the foam's upper "shoulder" area with some very thin plastic I have and went to slipping the cover over it. I hog ringed the upper listing.
IMG_2406.JPG

Pulled the cover the rest of the way down and zipped it up. The marks you see are from the rubber mallet I used to beat on it to get the cover to do what I wanted. Since I'm a moron, I had to have someone help me to zip it up. They held the ends together while I used a pair of pliers to pull it shut.
IMG_2407.JPG
IMG_2408.JPG

Now I just need to clean off my mallet marks, scuff the vinyl with a red scotchbrite and paint it. I'll post a picture later today. I have a customer car I have to shoot now.
Did you re-install those pain in the ass rods that hold the foam against the frame?

I can appreciate the idiot feeling, but in your defense if you did that kind of thing every day and sew'd it wrong then, well than you can beat yourself up, badly, draw blood.
It's not like you couldn't start your car because you have no gas in the tank.

Reactions: 1 user
I can appreciate the idiot feeling, but in your defense if you did that kind of thing every day and sew'd it wrong then, well than you can beat yourself up, badly, draw blood.

Or that it just arbitrarily stops running,...................twice.

Or you forgot to put the car in park.

I got the steering wheel, passenger seat back and the driver's seat bottom shot.

The parts look a little glossy, that will die down as the clear coat hardens. BTW, I'm not spraying the clear on the cloth part of the seats.
IMG_2410.JPG
IMG_2411.JPG
IMG_2412.JPG
IMG_2413.JPG
IMG_2414.JPG
IMG_2416.JPG

Reactions: 6 users
Looks good Dave. Your steering wheel came out nice. Here you are repainting your stock wheel, and I am considering ditching mine. I always liked a specific split three spoke wheel from Momo. The only thing holding me back is that my cruise control works, and I dont want to rig it on the new wheel. However, I am considering mounting it in my ashtray where I can easily reach it to set it.

Looks good Dave. Your steering wheel came out nice. Here you are repainting your stock wheel, and I am considering ditching mine. I always liked a specific split three spoke wheel from Momo. The only thing holding me back is that my cruise control works, and I dont want to rig it on the new wheel. However, I am considering mounting it in my ashtray where I can easily reach it to set it.
I seriously thought about an aftermarket steering wheel. I've gotten attached to this one though. Especially after i pulled off the wrap and saw what great condition it's in.

very nice job mke. I did two sets of seats maybe 15 or 20 years ago and I covered the foam with small garbage bags to help slide the seat fabric over them.
I used some of the plastic i cover cars with when i paint them. It's ultra thin but tough enough not to tear real easy. What a difference it makes using it though. I couldn't imagine trying to slip the cover over the new foam otherwise.

Today I'll rebuild the passenger bottom (I got my spring sets in yesterday!). Then I'll put the passenger seat back together.

I forgot to paint the headrest yesterday (duhr!). I'll get it today sometime.

The driver's seat frame should be ready for me to pick up from the sandblaster today as well. Though I might get it tomorrow. Then I'll get it fixed up.

I can get back into the yard this afternoon and get the door panels, tail lights and rear window trim too.

I'm going to get after the instrument panel next, that'll take at least a week to repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.