Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

The finished passenger seat, before and after:
IMG_0444.JPG
IMG_2441.JPG

What a great result, looks new. I love seeing things that are old and worn out, made new again.

Reactions: 1 user
Uhmmmm......I think this is going in the trash
IMG_2444.JPG
IMG_2445.JPG
Daaavvvveee!!!

Sometimes you just have ta balance things out between doing it yourself, fabbing up something new, and just buying a new one.

Now the seats came out looking great, and I'm quite sue that you will be the only guy in the nation w/ painted seats that look, and sit as good as those do/will,...but...

They make brand new door panels,....all you gotta do is transfer the aluminum cap over to it.
Or conversely, they make blank door panel boards with the holes already drilled in the right size and places to fit as well,...made out of the correct thickness board out of a better water resistant coated material.

Beats the snot out of trying to use a blank piece of 1/8" thick hardboard bought from HD.

I do not have the luxury of just "buying" junk on the Monster....the door is different than Mustang,..I had to buy blank panel board from an upholstery supplier,...fitting them to the basic door on the Monster was a pain in the ass,...there are about 30 holes that have to be cut into the door panel in an hourglass shape for the panel clips...

Take my advice.......At the very minimum,...buy the blank pre-cut boards from LMR, and quit wiping your ass with a rabbit.

Reactions: 4 users
I can afford ten bucks for some new board from lowes, not another fifty from LMR.

I know fifty isn't much money for them, but I have lots and lots of fifty dollar items still to get.

Anywho, this is what I'm doing to flatten out the original boards. I had to soak them in water really good, let that sit for about an hour so it was pretty dang soft. Wet them one more time, then SLOWLY shape them flat again. Then into the booth and put this board and two full five gallon cans put on top. Now it'll sit in the booth for the rest of the day through all the bake cycles. Tomorrow morning the board comes off and I'll have a really good pattern board for making my new ones.
IMG_2446.JPG

I can afford ten bucks for some new board from lowes, not another fifty from LMR.

I know fifty isn't much money for them, but I have lots and lots of fifty dollar items still to get.

Anywho, this is what I'm doing to flatten out the original boards. I had to soak them in water really good, let that sit for about an hour so it was pretty dang soft. Wet them one more time, then SLOWLY shape them flat again. Then into the booth and put this board and two full five gallon cans put on top. Now it'll sit in the booth for the rest of the day through all the bake cycles. Tomorrow morning the board comes off and I'll have a really good pattern board for making my new ones.
IMG_2446.JPG
How much "shrinkage" from the wet/dry process? Will it throw off the pattern or am I worried about nothing?:thinking:

How much "shrinkage" from the wet/dry process? Will it throw off the pattern or am I worried about nothing?:thinking:
I don't know really Todd. Good question though. Of course all those years sitting in the salvage kind of did that too.

I'll give it a go, the top aluminum panel should help with knowing wether this made it bigger or not.

IMG_2446.JPG
I will just hold off on this....hmmm,... where is a good place to set it till then...

Here we go,...ill put it down here for later.

"I TOLD YOU SO".

Great job, Dave !!!

I've used luan board to make the backing for our door panels. It works great. Turned out well and lasted longer than the car.

Great job, Dave !!!

I've used luan board to make the backing for our door panels. It works great. Turned out well and lasted longer than the car.
Thanks Scott, i still have to go buy it.

Because.....tonight....it's time for the driver's seat back:cry:. Yep, gotta sew that zipper on.
image.jpg

There's a LOT i'm enjoying about this car and bringing it back to life. Right now though, if i could get real money for my left nut, i'd buy a sewing machine just to do this.

You did? i don't seem to have a memory of that to recall at this moment.....:shrug:
I'm saving it.

I'll wait until after you go out and buy those ten dollar boards (saving 40.00 )in exchange for the work that'll be required to transfer and cut all of those holes.
upload_2017-1-12_19-57-49.png

I agree,....saving 50 bucks when and where you can makes sense when there are options (Like the Chinee wastegates :rolleyes:) that offer similar end results (seemingly) for far less.
But,...
Like Chinee wastegates,..what seemed like an affordable option ended up being 100.00 that got thrown straight into the trash.

So,....the moral to the story is save yourself the hassle and the money. Buy the pre cut boards, before you end up throwing away the 10 dollar ones (and the hours spent cutting them) effectively making a 50 dollar pair,...60 bucks + labor.

Status
Not open for further replies.