86/87 Help needed asap...

Hello, Brand new member. Not a noob to forums though. I didn't see a thread that was helping me out so I figured I'd start my own.

I have a 86 f-150 with a 5.0 in it. I don't know a crap ton about it, because I used to be a import guy (don't shoot me).
I can't, for the life of me, find out what happened in 1987 to the 5.0 engine. I have an 86, but it's fuel injected, most were carberated, I either cracked the heads or cracked the block or blew the head gasket, I'm a college kid and haven't had time to go home and tear it apart to find out. I've just come across a pair of 1989 heads off of a mustang for a real good deal. I wouldn't mind being able to through these on when I go home.
the important part
What changed in 1987 that would prevent me from using these? What kind of heads COULD I put on, since finding an 86 with f/i seems impossible. I had a buddy say the compression changed. Talk to me like I'm dumb because I don't understand complex things. Thanks a TON!!! Sooner the response the better.

• Sponsors (?)

IIRC, the '86 F-150 used the E7 heads...as that's where the Mustang got it's heads from.

If that is true, then you could get a set of 87-95 E7 heads for dirt cheap off any Mustang guy here.

However what makes you think you need to change the heads? Esp if you suspect a head gasket or worse?

I'm pretty sure but not positive your 86' is "speed density" and the 87' is MAF.
If you can find a good, stock 87' HO camshaft and the MAF upgrade stuff, that take advantage of the slightly better heads everyone is talking about.

IIRC, the '86 F-150 used the E7 heads...as that's where the Mustang got it's heads from.

If that is true, then you could get a set of 87-95 E7 heads for dirt cheap off any Mustang guy here.

However what makes you think you need to change the heads? Esp if you suspect a head gasket or worse?

I'm pretty sure (although not 100%) that the trucks had E6 heads on them. That's how we got stuck with these silly things for a year.

Either way though, with a stock cam, you should be able to throw on just about any set of OEM small block heads without an issue.

Do the '86 f150's use the flattop pistons as well? Just like the Mustang?

I know he '87 Mustang stole it's heads from the truck line-up, but unsure when this happened. E7 would suggest '87, but i thought i remember hearing they had them on the truck prior to that

I don't remember how the whole story went. I remember that the 86 heads came from the truck line (as did the cam and the rest of the motor) because it was torque-ee and the swirl port design was good for emissions. The first Mustang with fuel injection was a cheat! hehe They pulled the whole thing out of a truck.

It may well have been that, that's how we got the E7 setup as well.

That said, if he's got the E6 heads, he probably also has the flat-top forged pistons. I see where you're going with this though... Part of the story with the Mustang was that they went with the flat-top pistons to help make up for the poorly performing heads (meaning this was specifically for the Mustang). I can't rule that out as I don't know for sure.

His pistons are likely flat-top (as reliefs wouldn't be required if his heads are in-fact E6), but they may not necissarily be the same forged flat tops produced for the Stang. I'd be willing to bet that the piston arrangement for the trucks are probably lower compression than what was installed in the Stang. That's all just conjecture on my part though.

On the underside of the head

3050235935_1ee5db1341_b.jpg

I searched for an hour this afternoon. I found all sorts of posts saying the '86 F150 5.0 has E5, E6 and E7 heads on it...so no idea what to think.

There is precendece for Ford using an engineering p/n a year early before it's debut. The 1997 explorer intake comes with an F8 lower intake, and 1992 4.6L injectors come with an F1 p/n on them. So basically i have no idea what heads came on an '86 f150

:grouphug:Looks like I'm going to be discovering a lil bit of stuff this weekend when I tear it apart. I wanted it to be a weekend quick fix... haha. dang. Maybe it's just a head gasket. Anybody on here have any advise on doing it? There any tricks. I hear the 302 is one of the easiest motors to assemble and work on. Thanks for all your help!!! This is the best forum I've been on when it comes to responses WOOO!!!! :grouphug:

Flatten both of the front tires on your truck to get in the engine bay a little easier. Other than that label your bolts, cross your fingers, and if all else fails, grab a beer and work on it some other time.