86/87 Help needed asap...

Do you just copy and paste the image code from photobucket to get a pic on here? Thanks, tore the topof the block off yesterday. Time for a new motor. Suggestions?

Basically set it up like this

• Sponsors (?)

So... Came home from college and started tearing my block apart... UGH!!! HOOOORRRRIIIBBBLLLEEEEEE!!!!! But not that bad. Biggest problem I had was trying to get the fuel line "quick snap" crap off. Took the intake manifold off and opened her up and found this... Probably should have followed the warning signs of the gunk in top of the heads. I'm just going to throw a bunch of pictures You can see the progress. Took the heads off the gasket was good and there weren't any "cleaned spots on the bottom of the head. Figured it was a cracked block, pulled the entire motor in a day. Never having done anything like this before I thought I dun purty good for a 1.5 day project. On the look out for a new block so I can strap it all back together and ride on. Over all wasn't that bad. If anyone can explain how this much sludge gets in a motor let me know. Lots of not being taken care of I suppose. On to the pics. See if I can do it right...

P.S. Didn't see a casting number on the heads, are they under the gasket? Might have to clean the gunk off haha...

HPIM0736.jpg

HPIM0738-1.jpg

Photobucket is messing up. I can't load pics of the sludge right now I'll have to do it later...

SUCCESS!!!! Feels soooo good! Tastes so sweet! haha Thanks for everyones help again.

Plain and simple:

The '89 heads WILL bolt to the '86 block with no problems, but...
If the '86 block has flat top pistons (no reliefs) then there is a chance of P/V clearance issues.
Some have put 'E7 heads on a stock, flat top, shortblock and not had problems... while other have.

It's a crap shoot, but I say put them on and check P/V clearance and if nothing hits, run it.

BTW, the compression ratio will RISE, because the E7 heads have a smaller combustion chamber than the E6's.

Got some more pics now... beware... :jaw:

HPIM0699.jpg

hpim0711.jpg

HPIM0723.jpg

HPIM0724.jpg

HPIM0736-2.jpg

Found a good deal on a motor in an 86 van. 30,000 some miles. Going to pull it drop it in when I come back home again. Not bad for an amature huh? Soo... much... grossness.... Looks like somebody took a dump in the motor. :notnice:

im the friend that referred him here. thansk guys for offering assistance. i just made a thread for him too. he got an 86 block to rebuild. see from the pics above the pistons are fly cut. very interesting. i think he decided to use stock heads and go with a cam.

I'm pretty sure but not positive your 86' is "speed density" and the 87' is MAF.
If you can find a good, stock 87' HO camshaft and the MAF upgrade stuff, that take advantage of the slightly better heads everyone is talking about.

Just to clarify:
All '87s and '88s were speed density also (save the CARB (CA) certified '88s, which were the first to run MAF)

The E7 heads were based on the truck castings, but were not identical. They do flow slightly better than the truck castings they were based on (more on the exhaust side if I'm not mistaken). The '86s were the only year to use the "shrouded" heads and were the most restrictive castings used in the later H.O. 5.0. But some say they did respond well off the line due to the increase in velocity from the smaller, shrouded chambers.

Also, I'm not sure where it was stated above, but all '86s were port fuel injected. The 5sp '85s were the last of the carbuerated Mustangs. The '85 AOD cars used the inferior central fuel injection (throttle body injection).

The block for my 4 cyl to 5.0 swap looked exactly like that. There wasn't even a ridge on the cylinders, but a crap load of GUNK and I rebuilt it. (Haven't put the block in yet) A good cleaning and i bet that block can be rebuilt.

"E7" is short for E7TE. The E7TE head was originally engineered for an '87 F-series 5.0L truck, that's why it has a "T" in the engineering number. (T = Truck) They were also on all '87+ 5.0L engines that happened to be "H.O." (all Mustang, some Continental, all Mark VII, some Town Car, some T'bird, some Cougar). Any '87+ passenger car that had a "S.O." 5.0L engine instead of H.O. continued using the E6SE head.

The E6SE head was not ever used on the truck engine. That was a passenger car head only. ALL passenger cars in '86 used that head. The '86 truck 5.0L used heads from the '85 truck 5.0L (E5TE). Mustangs/Capris in '85 did not use the '85 truck head. The '85 Mustang/Capri 4V engine used an E5AE head. The '85 Mustang/Capri CFI engine used the same heads from the '78-'84 5.0L engine (D8OE).

H.O. roller cam is the same from '85 through very late '88.

i would get some E7's. You can find them cheap, I mean dirt cheap. I have two sets that i won't even try to sell, cuz they'd only get me about 10 bucks a pop. I see people advertise them for 50 bucks and weeks and weeks go by. So yeah, don't pay more than 20 bucks unless they've recently had a valve job, port and polished, etc....