'88 GT Convertible - Croatia, Europe

• Sponsors (?)

Hi folks!

After two weeks of Dubrovnik and not thinking about 5.0, I have to shortly inform yall that I assembled engine again (nothing suspicious found).
Only thing I was worried were front oil drain holes or heads and block not aligned 100% when You look into holes. Back oil drain holes are aligned 100%. But I found this to be 'normal' on 302.

New cam, main and rod bearings, new Eagle crank, balancing done, 5w30 oil and I had 60 psi oil pressure on cold idle, 20psi on hot.
But again I have stable 10psi at idle on very hot engine and oil (after half hour drive)...then I left for a vacation....oil and filter check follows

Reactions: 1 users
You can massage the hell out of those oil drain backs with a die grinder, and paint the inside of the block with epoxy paint
That aids in oil drain back. I did that with the first roller I built
Course I worked at the dealer and used free floor paint, also had 3 or 4 motors kicking around that knocked under warranty
I stress relieved the block and crank with the die grinder as well (inside and out, all the casting flash gone)
You chamfer all the oil holes you can get to
You do the best you can with your block and crank

You can massage the hell out of those oil drain backs with a die grinder, and paint the inside of the block with epoxy paint
That aids in oil drain back. I did that with the first roller I built
Course I worked at the dealer and used free floor paint, also had 3 or 4 motors kicking around that knocked under warranty
I stress relieved the block and crank with the die grinder as well (inside and out, all the casting flash gone)
You chamfer all the oil holes you can get to
You do the best you can with your block and crank
Your more then welcome to do that to my motor lol when I got the car a year ago u could see someone painted the block ford blue now it's black it's from 91

Something to do in the future
Your 91 is not grey?
It's gray and the bumpers were blue so I gave it a quick prime with something close that matches,now I didn't paint this car I got it like this but I'd love a nano gray color,and I can paint I just don't wanna do it outside and a question I was sent a front pump seal I'm not sure ¹where it goes but is it worth keeping to give to the transmission guy next week cause it's dripping from the bellhousing

Attachments

• 20220709_153604.jpg
    20220709_153604.jpg
    736.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20220709_153646.jpg
    20220709_153646.jpg
    623.2 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: 1 user
Really?
I will get PTSP from this 302 ...

Again, I have low oil pressure... saw a low value with 5w30 first, and now I pored in 5w40 and this are the results:
60 psi at cold start idle
40 psi at thermostat opening idle
10 psi at very hot oil idle
Oil filter has some goldish flakes, so has the oil.
Engine is not making sounds (for now), maybe a bit of noisy valvetrain with very hot oil.

Beside new eagle crank and bearings, new oil pump and new pickup tube, I was very careful (again) this time and checked/plastigaged clearances with great care. Again, 0.002" on mains, 0.0015-0.002" on rods... goddamn I don't know what is chewing my bearings.

I don't know what to think. Chasing knowk first I changed harmonic balancer,. then lifters, pushrods and rockers... knocks...
Then found worn pistons and knock source on cylinder #5 wall; did +.20 overbore, aligned heads and block surface, new pistons, new cam and new cam bearings, new SCAT rods, new pump and pickup tube, new oil pan, flexplate, flexplate ARP bolts...
...all that only to have chewed bearings and rod knock (cylinder #3 and #4, upper rod bearinhs) in 300 miles. All other bearings scored.

This time I inspected everything and balanced NEW Eagle crank which went inside with STD bearings, I even bought new ARP main bolts and ARP oil pump shaft, done everything so careful that I even changed very lightly damaged CAM bearings...
...all that to have low hot oil pressure AGAIN, only a question of time when it will knock.
I lost all enthusiasm and extra money by now :-(

Goddamn I am about to run this chit until it throws a rod and ask someone from here to find and sell me a low mileage 302 engine or throw this all this iron in garbage.. this was supposed to be a 302 foxbody and fun...

Well hell,
It won't throw a rod at 8 lbs hot idle
The idiot light comes on at 5
With 10 you can drive it at least
Put a high volume pump in it and be done with it
The longer rotors will require a pan mod on yours it looks like
I will post the pics of both pumps and the literature for the Ford SVO pump
I have a gap and roush roughly the same pump in my 69

I'm so lost what u just showed me idk it might be time for the car to go bye bye.ill never find another with a untrusted towers and frame rails it's mint just the motor needs a new one to many leaks and gaskets I try to think I can fix it and ppl are like ya I'll help ya and no help,I have so many parts for the car I already know I'll lose money

I just showed you the difference between a high volume and a standard oil pump
I wanna ask after all the issues I've shown and I have fixed and the more I keep finding should I sell it to a person that can fix it,it needs a motor 100% or do every gasket the motor has rear end needs axles and all other types of work that I have all the parts for I'm just lost with out any kind of physical help idk the parts u show me.

@mattys91gt. I think you need to create your own thread to discuss your issues. Secondly, try to use some punctuation in your sentences, it makes your words a lot easier to read.
It's still not leaving periods and commas I give up for now but the lines have a white coating inside the lines but thank you everyone for the help I don't belong here knowing nothing about mustangs I'm sorry I wasted your time

I'm so lost what u just showed me idk it might be time for the car to go bye bye.ill never find another with a untrusted towers and frame rails it's mint just the motor needs a new one to many leaks and gaskets I try to think I can fix it and ppl are like ya I'll help ya and no help,I have so many parts for the car I already know I'll lose money
Mattys91gt, you should ask this in your own thread.
Is this car your only transportation?

It's still not leaving periods and commas I give up for now but the lines have a white coating inside the lines but thank you everyone for the help I don't belong here knowing nothing about mustangs I'm sorry I wasted your time
@mattys91gt. You have to put the periods and commas in yourself man. Dont give up so easily! Create your own thread, take pics and be patient! Everyone here has had issues with their cars, received the help they needed and got things fixed up. Keep at it!