Engine 89 lx airflow question

May 12, 2018
mass
So this is what I have.coldair,with 70mm bbk throttlebody. If this a stock air sensor should I upgrade?I know always upgrade but the motor runs pretty good as is except for an ever changing idle lol!

Attachments

• 20180612_192012.jpg
    20180612_192012.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 157
  • Sponsors (?)

You guys with idle/stall problems could save a lot of time chasing your tails if you would go through the Surging Idle Checklist. Over 50 different people contributed information to it. The first two posts have all the fixes, and steps through the how to find and fix your idle problems without spending a lot of time and money. It includes how to dump the computer codes quickly and simply as one of the first steps. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions. You can post questions to that sticky and have your name and idle problem recognized. The guys with original problems and fixes get their posts added to the main fix. :D

It's free, I don't get anything for the use of it except knowing I helped a fellow Mustang enthusiast with his car. At last check, it had more than 250,000 hits, which indicates it does help fix idle problems quickly and inexpensively.

If that MAF has a cone filter directly connected to it and it the filter is in the engine compartment, that is a definite problem. See the link to the checklist above.

Lets clear up a thing or two, the maf sensor is matched to the injectors so you don't 'upgrade ' the sensor without changing the injector size, which you don't need to do for a basically stock engine, you can up grade the maf housing, but again not needed for stock engine.
the important question is what are your plans?
another thing is to fix the erratic idle before you start adding 'upgrades'.

Reactions: 1 user
I would verify which injectors you have. Stock 19lb injectors were orange in color. 24lb injectors on a stock car is a waste and that maf sensor looks stock to me

You guys with idle/stall problems could save a lot of time chasing your tails if you would go through the Surging Idle Checklist. Over 50 different people contributed information to it. The first two posts have all the fixes, and steps through the how to find and fix your idle problems without spending a lot of time and money. It includes how to dump the computer codes quickly and simply as one of the first steps. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions. You can post questions to that sticky and have your name and idle problem recognized. The guys with original problems and fixes get their posts added to the main fix. :D

It's free, I don't get anything for the use of it except knowing I helped a fellow Mustang enthusiast with his car. At last check, it had more than 250,000 hits, which indicates it does help fix idle problems quickly and inexpensively.

If that MAF has a cone filter directly connected to it and it the filter is in the engine compartment, that is a definite problem. See the link to the checklist above.
Bvb

Yep,I see blue so I have 26 lbs injectors and ran the. Numbers on the maf and its stock.replacing exhaust and changing plugs while I'm at it so wondering what plugs will look like.not sure what I want to do with motor check engine light is on so have to figure that out first.thanks for your help,I'll need more of it!!!

You have an injector mismatch. If your heads are stock., get some 19# injectors.

If you want to upgrade the MAF, get a 70MM unit from a 94-95 Mustang. You'll need an adapter flange to make it work with your CAI. Cheap to find on ebay