Progress Thread 93 Cobra basket case project, new spectra tank prepped

• Sponsors (?)

Thats a similar set that we use here at the body shop when we cant find the key to remove tires for suspension work, or simple wheel and tire replacements. Its amazing to me how many people drive around with locking lugs and have no idea where their wheel lock key is. "Its in the car." Nope, it isnt.

Reactions: 1 user
I've had more luck beating a 12 point socket on a wheel lock than using a kit. On one's with the ring on the outside I drill a hole in the middle and use a screw extractor.

As long as it is a factory lock you can buy replacements directly from mcgard. All you have to do is email their customer service with a good clear picture of the lug nut and they should be able to match it up. The one from my saleen went missing a few years back. It was in the console and then it was not. I emailed their customer service and got my replacements shortly after. I bought 2 just in case one goes missing again.

Reactions: 1 user
As long as it is a factory lock you can buy replacements directly from mcgard. All you have to do is email their customer service with a good clear picture of the lug nut and they should be able to match it up. The one from my saleen went missing a few years back. It was in the console and then it was not. I emailed their customer service and got my replacements shortly after. I bought 2 just in case one goes missing again.

Thank you I’m going to look into that today becaid really like to keep the original ones if possible.

This morning we got the car on jack stands and dropped the gas tank. We also found a broken sway bar link so that has been added to the list. It came out pretty easily, spilled a little gas but some kitty litter took care of that. The gas left in the tank was NASTY and bright orange, lol. As expected the tank and everything is rusted and I’ll be ordering a new tank kit that I’ll post about later.

The under side of the car looks pretty good but I’m going to spray off the under side of it.

Here’s the broken sway bar link

4FB532D1-ED3D-495D-9EA8-6F474B179C7C.jpeg

A look underneath the car

63F6C2C5-B0BF-4491-9424-A208EAC0D255.jpeg
32F69550-FC72-42B4-B0FD-B9DFBE18BAB3.jpeg

E6CC7BA1-CD1D-45EB-8D34-746644B19D94.jpeg
365CC7B8-3E8B-4F71-A3A7-B18E3D65E3F8.jpeg

Here’s a look at and in the gas tank.

3D519DA9-03DB-4D73-A3B2-E4B2DE25DBD4.jpeg
3B0A184E-3F60-46A7-94BE-1E63BE3E6A62.jpeg
8B34AC14-CB0C-40CC-85F3-073B3681BEA2.jpeg

4D8F390F-4201-468C-9BC2-097A9143065A.jpeg

More to come....

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 users
CJ Pony Parts seems to have a good deal on a gas tank kit looks like it has everything except a new vapor valve and the foam that goes on the top of the tank.

I think I’ll get a new vapor valve just because and I’m trying to think of any other things I need to take advantage of the 6% first order discount.

Someone mentioned o rings for the fuel injectors so I’ll put that on the list along with some other odds and ends I think of.

You can get the same parts for less then $300 if you shop around, I spent around $180 the last time i I replaced a tank on one but used a cheap kemso pump...

walboro is about $60 more give or take... You can get a new tank for less then $ 100 with taxes and shipping these days, sending unit for 30 ish, filler neck gasket $10.... Amazon has most of the Dorman line marked down pretty cheap right now

Reactions: 2 users
I may not have the lug nut key but I do have the envelope it came in. In that envelope was the paper with all the numbers I needed. I called them up this morning and they are sending me a new key!
One problem solved!

Reactions: 2 users
You can get the same parts for less then $300 if you shop around, I spent around $180 the last time i I replaced a tank on one but used a cheap kemso pump...

walboro is about $60 more give or take... You can get a new tank for less then $ 100 with taxes and shipping these days, sending unit for 30 ish, filler neck gasket $10.... Amazon has most of the Dorman line marked down pretty cheap right now

Agree.

Spectra Premium tank
Walbro pump
Ford Fuel filler grommet
Spectra hanger

A 255 pump is kinda large for a stock-style fuel system. Do you need that much flow? A 155lph is plenty adequate for most N/A builds.

There are draw backs to running too big of a pump. The return leg/regulator need to be able to pass enough fuel to not impose a restriction that could lead to inconsistencies in the fuel delivery. For example. when running at idle, your return line may be too small for a 255 causing a slight pressure buildup. You adjust the pressure using the Adjustable FPR to allow for more flow through it, but what you are really doing is adjusting flow based on the downstream restriction combined with the FPR setting. At WOT, your engine is now consuming more fuel that previous, so that restriction is gone and your FP will decrease slightly from your set point.

Because of this I tend to recommend sizing the fuel pump based on your needs to give better consistency in pressure. Every combo will be different however.

Stock or bolt on 93 Cobra? 110LPH or 155 is more than enough.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the advice, I got a 155 lph pump and all the rest ordered. Hopefully everything gets here by the weekend.

While the gas tank was out I took a bucket of soapy water, a sponge and a hose to clean the tank shield and the area where the tank is. I got wet and messy but it’ll be nice when putting it back together.

78015252-D11C-4C91-B7F7-CEE849AD2F03.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Looking things over tonight I realized we must have broke one of the clips on the plug that comes from inside the car. Looks like it comes from the crash switch/reset inside the car goes through the floor and connects to the fuel tank harness. I don’t real want to use the old zip tie solution and was wondering I can get a pigtail for that and replace the plug.

28379758-8B1C-4F64-8EAD-AA041DACB557.jpeg
9E50DA88-1A54-4B8E-B5B0-5F319659C871.jpeg

Also I’m wondering about the insulation tape on the top of the tank. I was thinking about just using some stuff we use at work it’s probably 3/16” or so. Or do I need something a little,thicker. I’m assuming it purpose is so there’s no metal to metal contact with the car and the tank

So I ran into a problem. If I test fit the fuel pump hanger without the fuel pump in it, it seats on the fuel tank. When I have the pump installed with the sock on and oriented the correct way it won’t seat. It seems like the whole assembly is to long. Any idea on what I’m doing wrong?

2E92F270-8F49-4EFD-8314-5B250CED7CA0.jpeg
B33D2D9C-8691-4E63-ADD0-4DACEB3D6ABC.jpeg
C8C43DF1-6E8A-4960-8CCB-91137C3AE5CA.jpeg
040245AF-2A2D-4E12-81D6-98DDEA4500D8.jpeg
17BB5421-88BF-48BF-943C-D2F007719D90.jpeg

Where is the hanger hanging up? Is the botton of the tank dented up a bit? You can use a sturdy peice of wood to knock that part of the tank down a tad. I've also seen the baffle spot welded slightly off which causes some interference

Hanger may just be off a little. If massaging the bottom of the tank downward doesn't fix the issue then I would remove the four screws holding the lower section of the pump bracket to the upper section of the pump bracket, remove the tabs that are bent inwards, drill four new holes on the lower section that are high enough to get the hanger to seat in the tank, reassemble, and call it a day.

Last edited: