Progress Thread '93 Kenne Bell Notch

20190615_163517.jpg

Power steering pump completed. Man that pressure hose into the steering rack was a pain but I got it done. I also did my spark plugs, wires, and the cap and rotor too. I just tried to start it and it wouldnt turn over. I saw a trouble shooting thread which I'm going to try and follow tonight.

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Power steering pump completed. Man that pressure hose into the steering rack was a pain but I got it done. I also did my spark plugs, wires, and the cap and rotor too. I just tried to start it and it wouldnt turn over. I saw a trouble shooting thread which I'm going to try and follow tonight.
Funny you say that. I bought a replacement low pressure hose for mine, because it had come in contact with the header on my turbo kit in the blue car. I tried getting a hand/tool in there and eventually gave up. The hose had just enough left to cut it and reconnect. I hope I don't really have to change one of those any time soon.

Did you have to remove suspension stuff, or what did you do to get to it?

20190615_163517.jpg

Drop the steering rack in order to replace the hydraulic lines. It is a lot easier to do it that way than to loosen or tighten the fittings a 1/4 turn at a time. You can leave the tie rods connected and not have to worry about changing the toe-in alignment.

The flex coupling for the steering shaft needs to be disconnected before you can get the rack out. You should disassemble the coupling by removing the 2 bolts that hold it together. The lower part of the coupling will then come out with the rack, and can easily be removed.

Remove the two bolts that bolt the rack assembly to the frame and then pull the rack down. Dropping the rack before attempting to remove the hydraulic lines will save you 30-45 minutes of fussing and sweating, and you’re going to have to remove them anyway. Get a catch pan to dump the fluid in when you disconnect the hydraulic lines. I replaced the rack mount bushings with some Energy Suspension urethane ones. When you re-install the rack assembly, put the rear bushings in the rack assembly and lift it into place. Then install the hydraulic lines, front bushings & washers and tighten down the nuts. Doing it this way makes room for the hydraulic lines without having them bind against the frame.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users
Funny you say that. I bought a replacement low pressure hose for mine, because it had come in contact with the header on my turbo kit in the blue car. I tried getting a hand/tool in there and eventually gave up. The hose had just enough left to cut it and reconnect. I hope I don't really have to change one of those any time soon.

Did you have to remove suspension stuff, or what did you do to get to it?

I must have been under the car for about 30 mins, trying to get the threads to catch. I ended up removing my fender to get a little extra space. I was debating removing the steering rack like @jrichker said (which will probably be the easier option next time) but all of a sudden it caught on the threads and I tightened it up.

Reactions: 1 user
20190616_151351.jpg

Spoke too soon. Was driving home and everytime I hit a bump the gauges would act up and bounce around, then they stayed flat like this. Anyone know what would cause this? (Pic taken while driving)

Last edited:
Update. Ran the car today with no issues. I checked the engine block ground and it was still secure. I checked the ignition switch and it was solid, some of the wires I might need to redo though. I even ran the car and wiggled the ignition switch and wires but nothing happened. Hit a few bumps in the road and the gauges were fine. So I'm still not sure what caused it. But I'm thinking maybe since it was raining pretty hard the water was effecting something?

Edit: started happening again with no rain so I checked the grounds again and lo and behold one of the grounds above the headlights was so loose it popped off when I touched it. So basically every time I hit a bump it would pop off.

Last edited:
Both lights being ON to me means either the hazard wiring to the switch in the instrument cluster bezel or the Hazard flasher

What's weird to me is it all happened together, the gauges acting up and the hazard lights. I have a ton of wiring to redo though. Previous owner used a ton of electrical tape and didnt do a good job of covering exposed wire.

20190622_175647.jpg

Saw some more wiring that needed some attention so I decided just to address the issues and do a wire tuck. I think I asked what this connector was before and someone told me daytime running lights for Canada cars, if I remember correctly. Can i just cut this connector off and tape it up so it's easier to do the wire tuck?

If you are going to tuck everything, why not just tuck it in tact, rather than cutting it? Can’t be much harder to tuck one more connector!

Yeah I guess I can just tuck it too. That plastic connector at the end it pretty big which is why I was thinking of getting rid of it and since I'm never going to have a use for it.

20190630_211123.jpg

I'm having some issues while idling for a few minutes like sitting in line at a drive thru, the temp starts creeping up. I did a little research and some people suggested it might be my water pump that needs to be replaced. While looking up which new one I should get I saw ones that said "heavy duty" and I see this Gates one that says "high performance/racing". Is there a difference?