Engine 93 lx top end kit install now has no power.

I agree with the others. That 6 hole is dead. Not for nothing but have you pulled/looked inside the distributor cap and also checked the plug wire?
Ya I just put a new cap and rotor. Since it's been a while, I'll list all the new parts I've done so far trying to fix this issue.
Cap and rotor
New coil
Act and coolant temp sensor
New tps
New iac
New plugs
New wires
Only thing not new is TFI and the distributor itself

• Sponsors (?)

If the cylinder has low compression it will still try to fire but it looks like all the plugs are showing an over rich condition.

Do a compression test and if it’s low follow up with a leak down as it could be a bad valve issue or rings.

If the cylinder has low compression it will still try to fire but it looks like all the plugs are showing an over rich condition.

Do a compression test and if it’s low follow up with a leak down as it could be a bad valve issue or rings.
I know it's not the rings, motor ran amazing and compression was great before the top end kit. I definitely could have about too tired or something. This is the first time I've done a hydraulic roller

This is not strange at all if you are a cylinder down.
Ya I'm going to do a compression check tonight. Then pull the intake and noid light the injector and move it to another hole to check to make sure if the injector is working right or not. The inline spark tester showed spark but maybe it's weak. Or could the TFI module cause that issue also? And I'll have a buddy come over that has a few of these cars to help me do the valves over again just to double check

Just for the hell of it, get a digital multimeter. Unplug injector 6 and set the meter to resistance. Measure the two contacts on the injector.

You should have 14.4 ohms +/- 1 ohm.

If it's open, the injector is dead.

The reason you want to compression check as well is that it's possible that when you set up the rockers you may have set one a little too tight and a valve is hanging open, which is killing compression and might allow an occasional fire.

@Noobz - I would think that regardless of being a cylinder down or not the AFR should be showing rich if the plugs area showing rich. Unspent fuel in the exhaust stream should be picked up by the wide band. Maybe I am just not looking at it right but it reading fine just makes no sense to me.

See post #53. Also, with all the plugs looking stupid rich I would think it would pick it up on either side.

I see that post now.

I think we can speculate all we want here but ultimately some wrenching needs to be done to rule out potential issues with #6. Does it make sense? No, but the CBT shows nothing from 6 and the poster did say in an early post it smells rich.

@Noobz - I would think that regardless of being a cylinder down or not the AFR should be showing rich if the plugs area showing rich. Unspent fuel in the exhaust stream should be picked up by the wide band. Maybe I am just not looking at it right but it reading fine just makes no sense to me.

It occurs to me that the AFR is measuring free air, not burnt fuel and we have a cylinder that is only pumping air and an EEC trying to make up for it by pumping more fuel into working cylinders.

Okay, there in lies my lack of knowledge on how an oxygen sensor works. A person would think to focus on the word "oxygen" but I chose to ignore. Doing some reading now to educate myself.

With all that what's going on makes a lot more sense now so thanks NoobZ!

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, there in lies my lack of knowledge on how an oxygen sensor works. A person would think to focus on the word "oxygen" but I chose to ignore. Doing some reading now to educate myself.

With all that what's going on makes a lot more sense now so thanks NoobZ!
I learn from you all the time. It's nice to return the favor occasionally. :nice:

Reactions: 1 user
Which bank did he install the wide band on? If on bank 1-4 then it won't get picked up.
I installed it on the driver side, I think it's bank 1. I wasn't able to work on the car today had to go pick up my truck from the shop, stupid recall crap. Also talked to a tuner buddy who helped with my supercharged f150 and he told me the bosh style pink injectors I got from lmr are cheap crap, and since I already had 2 go bad he's sure that the one in #6 is bad too. So I ordered a whole new set of Ford racing injectors they will be here Friday either way. But I'm still going to do the compression check tomorrow. He doesn't have a way to tune any type of factory computer so he can only help so much. I appreciate you guys you have really been a big help

Last edited:
All right fellas got it figured out. It was a bad injector. The car runs way better like night and day. But finding a new little issue. First gear car pulls really hard when it shifts to second it puffs smoke and goes to about 12.1 AFR and doesn't pull as hard then when it shifts to 3rd it starts pulling hard again. And it only puffs smoke and changes the AFR reading when it's wide open and part throttle it doesn't do that. Any thoughts? It's an aod with 4.10 gear.

Last edited:
It would do it the most when you pull the hardest for the longest amount of time.

You're putting less torque on the engine at WOT in gears 1 and 2 than you are in 3 and 4. A small bit of water in a combustion chamber is all it take to make the exhaust turn white.

If that's the case, I would think you would see an O2 code. Might be worth a check.

It would do it the most when you pull the hardest for the longest amount of time.

You're putting less torque on the engine at WOT in gears 1 and 2 than you are in 3 and 4. A small bit of water in a combustion chamber is all it take to make the exhaust turn white.

If that's the case, I would think you would see an O2 code. Might be worth a check.
I'll check it out this afternoon when I get off