95 Gt 5.0l missing a gear

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry man, This is how i see it, when im driving, sometimes i wanna pass people on the freeway or maybe a back strip, when i push to accel it starts to rev and rpm's go up, but it takes a second to move til it gets to a higher gear, it kinda feels like its startin in a higher gear, or it misses one completly.

Sorry man, This is how i see it, when im driving, sometimes i wanna pass people on the freeway or maybe a back strip, when i push to accel it starts to rev and rpm's go up, but it takes a second to move til it gets to a higher gear, it kinda feels like its startin in a higher gear, or it misses one completly.

Do you mean it's not downshifting into a lower gear?

Hmmm. An auto transmission takes a second or two to realize that you want to go fast before it downshifts. You can hit the button next to the shifter to drop the car out of Overdrive, the highest gear. If you're in overdrive, the car will downshift as soon as you press the button.

Does the car accelerate well after that second delay? Does it accelerate well from a stop?

Chythar thx man you might be right about that, i never really messed with it too much, and thx toyman for the responce. Ill try that and get back to you. It does seem to not wanna downshift and i forgot about the overdrive, ill test it out tonight, see how it responds.

Yeah, well i feel kinda dumb for that, it was the OD, ill test it out a little more, but i think that was one problem. Thx for the help fellas.

Just as an FYI, I have heard, although I have not personally experienced, that doing WOT shifts in and out of O/D is not so friendly to the O/D band and eventually results in it going bye-bye...

I personally only have the O/D on when I am using the cruise. The little difference in RPMs with it off is, to me at least, insignificant...

OD is enabled when the car is started, but you're not in overdrive until the computer decides to shift into it. You can be in overdrive as slow as 35mph if you're maintaining a consistent speed. You do have to hit the O/D button every time you start the car to disable it.

Alleymad95GT is 100% correct about overdrive; the "gear" is not really a gear but a band that clamps in place. Going to WOT on a GT will eventually cause it to wear out and slip. So if you're in overdrive, you floor it and the tranny seems to fall into neutral, your overdrive band just slipped. Do that often enough, and the band will never grab - you'll lose overdrive.

Well maybe its something else then, cause even in od, it feels like its get up and go, doesnt have the power it used to.

OK - in O/D, the lack of get up and go may be your O/D band slipping. If you mash the gas, the car responds, but it doesn't do anything motion wise, then I think you are slipping the O/D band. Of course the car won't feel right in O/D if the O/D is messing up. But, that problem will have a very specific and describable set of symptoms which are completely different than, for example, air / fuel / sensor issues that also cause no "get up and go."

So, what do you mean by get up and go is gone?

Do the RPMs increase, but the car does not launch? OR

Do you mash the pedal and get nothing?

These are two entirely different symptoms and just by saying the car has no power whether in O/D or otherwise really doesn't help to pinpoint the problem. If your RPMs don't go up, I highly doubt it has anything at all to do with the tranny. But, if your RPMs do go up, but the car does not move, then it could very well be the tranny. I am not trying to be a dink - I just want to pinpoint a little more precisely what the car is doing.

Sorry alley, im not the biggest gear head as you can prolly tell, ill try to be more descriptive, and thx for the help. When i really push down on the peddle, you can see rpm's going up and the car starts to rev up, but it takes a couple seconds to accually start moving, but when it does it takes off pretty good, but it seems like, and im not sure, but feels like its laking in torque when you compare it with how it used to be.
Some specs, cars been takin care of pretty well, and it has 120,000 miles, run ok, just gave it a tune up, but this problem has been going on from before the tune up.

I think it is your tranny, since it revs but doesn't go. To me, it sounds like you have a slipping O/D band. Of course, the AODE is not the swiftest shifting machine ever to roll out of a factory, either. There is definitely a lag waiting for downshifts. So, you combine this lag with a little slippage, and I think that is what you are experiencing.

Start simple. Change the tranny fluid and filter. Mercon V fluid. Get as much of the fluid out as you possibly can. I am pretty sure (its been a awhile since I have done mine - it is on the list for when I get the car back on the road) there is a drain plug in the stock torque converter. You will probably have to spin the engine by hand to get it in the proper location for draining. There will be a lot of fluid - I want to say the total capacity is like 14 quarts or something along those lines, but you won't be able to get all of that out just by letting it drip at home.

Other than that, I would also reiterate to shut off the O/D if you have the urge to mash the gas pedal.